Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    no
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Rob_Drewry wrote: »
    Excessive sugar consumption causes a boat load of health issues. I'd be in favor of taxing "junk food" if a), it could be positively identified/quantified, b) the tax could be placed in a trust that could only be used to help mitigate the health cost of obesity, and c) could not be used by the government for any other purpose.

Since c is impossible, I'm against it. How about we bring back physical education in our schools?

Do you not have physical education in the schools where you are? There are more options for phys ed now then when I was in high school.

Also, the problem extends beyond children.

I am still in the don't tax it camp though.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Isn't candy already taxable? Could have sworn I payed tax on my candy bar the last time I purchased one....but not all candy is junk food either....what about Dark Chocolate? Sweetened drinks, why sweetened? Would that include sweet tea, lemonade, milk, chocolate milk? ----Can't find any redeeming quality about chips except they are yummy...lol
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Isn't candy already taxable? Could have sworn I payed tax on my candy bar the last time I purchased one....but not all candy is junk food either....what about Dark Chocolate? Sweetened drinks, why sweetened? Would that include sweet tea, lemonade, milk, chocolate milk? ----Can't find any redeeming quality about chips except they are yummy...lol

That's what I was thinking - "junk food" is already taxed.

No junk food is taxed like any other food like lettuce, apples, etc in most states. I'd assume the op is talking about something more than the regular sales tax.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana. Candy and soda are already taxed.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

No junk food is taxed like any other food like lettuce, apples, etc in most states. I'd assume the op is talking about something more than the regular sales tax.

Where I am (in Canada) food like lettuce, apples,etc are not taxed. Candy bars, chips etc. are.

In the US it will vary by locality. Sometimes some foods will be taxed at different rates but typically not at a punitive level like cigarettes or booze
  • Packerjohn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For those that don't think this stuff should be taxed, ho do you propose paying the medical costs ot the 30% of the population thst will have diabetes by 2050 or before?

Remember this stuff.is a prime contributor to the situation.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Where I am (in Canada) food like lettuce, apples,etc are not taxed. Candy bars, chips etc. are.

In the US it will vary by locality. Sometimes some foods will be taxed at different rates but typically not at a punitive level like cigarettes or booze

It isn't taxed to a punitive level here either. But there is no tax on "grocery" food and necessities here.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Rob_Drewry wrote: »
    Excessive sugar consumption causes a boat load of health issues. I'd be in favor of taxing "junk food" if a), it could be positively identified/quantified, b) the tax could be placed in a trust that could only be used to help mitigate the health cost of obesity, and c) could not be used by the government for any other purpose.

Since c is impossible, I'm against it. How about we bring back physical education in our schools?

The schools that have permanent have watered it down so much. Kids are allowed to walk around the track like snails instead of tunming, etc.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think this was would be tricky to do since there isn't a universal definition on what is considered junk food. Even if there was though, I don't know that it would really solve the societal issue of too much of it being consumed.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

^Yes. I am talking about an additional 'junk food' tax - on top of any provincial/state tax already in place for any item one might buy.