Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We start taxing junk food then what? Then someone will realize that junk food is made from healthy items as well.. so heck no to more freaking government!

I am for Freedom to just be left alone to my own food decisions..!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    We start taxing junk food then what? Then someone will realize that junk food is made from healthy items as well.. so heck no to more freaking government!

Freedom to be fat, freedom to be thin, freedom to just be!!!

So are you okay with your taxes going up to pay for the healthcare of the 30% of the population that will have diabetes in 2050? If not we need to start doing something about it now.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Maybe, but perhaps healthy food should be more affordable instead of junk food. It's cheaper to buy chips, soft drinks and sweet foods than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.

What? That's ludicrous! Bananas in California are 89 cents a pound and a large bag of potato chips are $2.79.

Come to Newfoundland. Prices are much higher here because it all has to come over via ferry. When the ferry is out of service (usually due to winter storm weather), the stores look like they were hit by looters. Fresh foods are pretty much cheaper where the food is. Don't even ask about Nunavut.

Ok. What about Nunavut?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

So are you okay with your taxes going up to pay for the healthcare of the 30% of the population that will have diabetes in 2050? If not we need to start doing something about it now.

It won't go up 30%.. we have been trying to do something about it for quite a while.. no seems to have an answer. But there is someone always coming out with new surgical procedures and what not..

Go ahead and tax junk food, I do not buy anything they can get money out of me anyways! I hope peanut butter does not make the junk food list.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I honestly don't think it will help. Cigarettes can be given up, but people eat what they eat. The reason we have an obesity epidemic is because people don't think about food, they just grab what's there and insist they don't have time to change. People will just think, "Oh well, food prices are going up" which is what they do anyway, as they buy the same stuff they always do. At best, some people who are on the borderline where they are carefully counting their pennies may start making better choices to save a buck. But we would still be paying for say 27% of the population having diabetes PLUS paying extra for junk food, which you don't have to give up entirely to have a healthy diet.

And as others have said, I'm sure people like potato, corn, and wheat producers would fight against it, as those non-junk foods are ingredients in plenty of junk foods.

And companies that produce junk food also produce healthy foods, so chances are they would raise the price of their healthier offerings to offset the reduction in price they would put on the "junk food" so people would not notice the extra tax on it and keep buying it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I touched on that before, but no, I'm not. In fact, I'd sooner see said services dismantled. If your labor/contribution are not of sufficient value to be paid a wage that allows you to afford any given service, it's not yours to be had at the expense of another person. The ONLY exception to this, so far as I am concerned, is infectious diseases, because that can affect others. I have yet to see anything showing that obesity (or the problems that stem from it) is contagious.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

My point isn't that healthy food cannot be found, it is that packaged food is cheap because HFCS is subsidized. Poor people are likely to buy what is cheap.

This is a good point. Right now, some junk food is basically getting tax credits, it's the opposite of taxed. It's benefited, subsidized. We are paying in taxes to keep the cost of some foods low.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I honestly don't think it will help. Cigarettes can be given up, but people eat what they eat. The reason we have an obesity epidemic is because people don't think about food, they just grab what's there and insist they don't have time to change. People will just think, "Oh well, food prices are going up" which is what they do anyway, as they buy the same stuff they always do. At best, some people who are on the borderline where they are carefully counting their pennies may start making better choices to save a buck. But we would still be paying for say 27% of the population having diabetes PLUS paying extra for junk food, which you don't have to give up entirely to have a healthy diet.

And as others have said, I'm sure people like potato, corn, and wheat producers would fight against it, as those non-junk foods are ingredients in plenty of junk foods.

And companies that produce junk food also produce healthy foods, so chances are they would raise the price of their healthier offerings to offset the reduction in price they would put on the "junk food" so people would not notice the extra tax on it and keep buying it.

Agreed.. good post

Now that I am more aware, have you ever watched someone in the grocery store actually buy food, they are clueless about food in general. I am not talking an over weight person either.

Have you ever been behind someone in a buffet restaurant that piles food on top of food and these overweight individuals, want to be over weight. I cannot stop a human from the buffet line.

Are we gonna shock people when they pick up the junk food in the store, are we gonna have to stop over weight people from going into buffet restaurants..

This goes way way beyond junk food.. Junk food is food too.. ITS NOT ABOUT JUNK FOOD!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

My point isn't that healthy food cannot be found, it is that packaged food is cheap because HFCS is subsidized. Poor people are likely to buy what is cheap.

This is a good point. Right now, some junk food is basically getting tax credits, it's the opposite of taxed. It's benefited, subsidized. We are paying in taxes to keep the cost of some foods low.

Oh, absolutely. You'll get no argument out of me there. All subsidies should end, not just those on corn. If the demand isn't high enough, or people aren't willing to pay a profitable price for any given product, it's clearly not worth keeping afloat.

I was only arguing with that whole "abloobloopoorpeople" thing. There are plenty of cheap foods that aren't 90% sugar, 6% sadness, and 4% failure at making good decisions.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Rob_Drewry wrote: »
    Excessive sugar consumption causes a boat load of health issues. I'd be in favor of taxing "junk food" if a), it could be positively identified/quantified, b) the tax could be placed in a trust that could only be used to help mitigate the health cost of obesity, and c) could not be used by the government for any other purpose.

Since c is impossible, I'm against it. How about we bring back physical education in our schools?

Do you not have physical education in the schools where you are? There are more options for phys ed now then when I was in high school.

Also, the problem extends beyond children.

I am still in the don't tax it camp though.

I know this was for one of the other posters but, here in wv the elementary schools have phys ed but I dont think its every day, they do get recess though if its nice out.and in the high schools here you take phys ed freshman year and the rest of the year you dont have to take it. its not required. not sure if all of wv schools are like that but our is.I think that is why a lot of wv is obese, lack of phys ed and not enough education when it comes to nutrition.most of the obese and overweight people here all you see them buy is case after case or 6 pack after 6 pack of pop(soda),they put the 6 packs on the sides of the cart,chips,candy, donuts,etc. I have seen it. not very often do I see an overweight person putting healthier items in their carts around here.its sad really and I have seen kids with them and its sugary cereals as well and the kids are screaming for cupcakes,twinkies,etc. Im not saying all of them are like this. but a lot of them are. I have nothing against "junk" food but when its all you live on,there needs to be more education on balancing out your meals especially for children. we dont food tax but we do have tax on soft drinks,cigarettes of course which they are going to raise it another $.75-$1 a pack,I dont smoke so I dont care, and alcohol taxes go up. our gas tax is one of the highest in the nation.I dont know what those taxes are going to but its obviously not on the roads,education,and health care.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Isn't candy already taxable? Could have sworn I payed tax on my candy bar the last time I purchased one....but not all candy is junk food either....what about Dark Chocolate? Sweetened drinks, why sweetened? Would that include sweet tea, lemonade, milk, chocolate milk? ----Can't find any redeeming quality about chips except they are yummy...lol

That's what I was thinking - "junk food" is already taxed.

not here in my state they arent(we have no food tax). just what they consider soft drinks. fast food/restaurant food is taxed.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i vote yes
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sugar should be taxed if you are on a universal health care system. Since the US isn't, then you're just taxing yourself later when you become diabetic or overweight and have complications.

If not then there should be penalties or restrictions for companies who are adding too much sugar into our food. Do we really need high fructose corn syrup in almost every loaf of bread?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Oh, absolutely. You'll get no argument out of me there. All subsidies should end, not just those on corn. If the demand isn't high enough, or people aren't willing to pay a profitable price for any given product, it's clearly not worth keeping afloat.

I was only arguing with that whole "abloobloopoorpeople" thing. There are plenty of cheap foods that aren't 90% sugar, 6% sadness, and 4% failure at making good decisions.

When I lived in one of the poorest apartment complexes in the city, people were eating almost exclusively packaged food. These are people who would struggle for every $1 in a way that most who have access to a computer and internet couldn't understand. Though I don't expect you to fully grasp that level of poverty, trust me on this: You won't see a fruit basket in the ghetto.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here in lies the problem with taxing cigarettes tobacco and other vices separate from other items. Because we as a society allowed it to be addressed in this fashion previously, we have in principle already agreed to it being spread to other items and at some point it will be an item you don't support. For instance we know jogging over a lifetime often creates the need for joint replacements are we going to try to tax that next because it runs up our medical costs? You say it won't happen.........I've seen worse justified.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Taxes are a necessary evil and they're used for a lot of important things. A junk food tax isn't banning junk food and generally not making it prohibitively expensive, just slightly more. I have no problem with that for soda, alcohol, Doritos, cigarettes, etc. and several of those are things I love.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

When I lived in one of the poorest apartment complexes in the city, people were eating almost exclusively packaged food. These are people who would struggle for every $1 in a way that most who have access to a computer and internet couldn't understand. Though I don't expect you to fully grasp that level of poverty, trust me on this: You won't see a fruit basket in the ghetto.

I actually live in "the hood". Not because I am poor, but because I am cheap. Rent costs here are amazing, and I'm not dissuaded by the occasional errant gunfire. I have seen full well what these people carry into their apartments. It's garbage food, but it's in quantities that could easily be cut by 60%, converted to something that isn't garbage, and more than meet the caloric needs of a four person family for a month. I also often make the mistake of regularly going grocery shopping near the beginning of the month in this area. Same thing there as what I see going into the apartment buildings. I honestly don't care, because the cash is sunk anyway, but to pretend like they have no real responsibility for their own actions, just because of a corn subsidy, is asinine.