Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn , since you've several times used the '30% U.S. population with diabetes by 2050' projection, I'd like to ask you to step back and see the bigger picture of the U.S. domestic spending trends. By 2050, Social Security will have exhausted the so-called Trust Fund and will be strictly a pay-as-we-go program. It tells us each year that we can expect our Social Security income in 2050 to be about 78% of whatever it's actually promising us we'll be earning. This will have caused widespread demands for higher taxes to raise Social Security spending, which will have driven more young people out of the workforce and driven up spending for whatever system pays medical costs of poor people. By 2050, the over-taxed and unemployed voters will have demanded that all domestic transfer spending programs be ended. If you don't believe such a dystopic view, look at Venezuela.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Trust me, too much of anything will make one gain weight.

Can't believe it took until page 5 for someone to say this. Unless I missed it earlier.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Sugar should be taxed if you are on a universal health care system. Since the US isn't, then you're just taxing yourself later when you become diabetic or overweight and have complications.

If not then there should be penalties or restrictions for companies who are adding too much sugar into our food. Do we really need high fructose corn syrup in almost every loaf of bread?

You know sugar doesn't cause diabetes, right?

You know that sugar of some form is needed for the yeast to do its job on bread, right?

If not sugar then what foods do cause diabetes?

The same food that causes celiac I guess.

No because Celiac is auto-immune. So is type 1 diabetes. However, this discussion is obviously about type 2 diabetes, which is not auto-immune. Since it wasn't made clear by previous comments, I can understand how you might have thought they meant type 1.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sugar should be taxed if you are on a universal health care system. Since the US isn't, then you're just taxing yourself later when you become diabetic or overweight and have complications.

If not then there should be penalties or restrictions for companies who are adding too much sugar into our food. Do we really need high fructose corn syrup in almost every loaf of bread?

You know that sugar of some form is needed for the yeast to do its job on bread, right?

No because Celiac is auto-immune. So is type 1 diabetes. However, this discussion is obviously about type 2 diabetes, which is not auto-immune. Since it wasn't made clear by previous comments, I can understand how you might have thought they meant type 1.

I knew he meant type 2. It was just funny to me that any disease has to be caused by some food. Diabetes is caused by a combination of being genetically predisposed, being sedentary and being overweight, Heck, it could even be cause by some odd cosmic energy when it comes out of nowhere and hits a person with no history and no excess fat. I do know, however, that it's not caused by "sugar" (I remember it being cause by "fat" and "red meat" back when my uncle got it in the 90s). It's just too complex of a disease to pin on a single ingredient as the ultimate and definite cause.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I knew he meant type 2. It was just funny to me that any disease has to be caused by some food. Diabetes is caused by a combination of being genetically predisposed, being sedentary and being overweight, Heck, it could even be cause by some odd cosmic energy when it comes out of nowhere and hits a person with no history and no excess fat. I do know, however, that it's not caused by "sugar" (I remember it being cause by "fat" and "red meat" back when my uncle got it in the 90s). It's just too complex of a disease to pin on a single ingredient as the ultimate and definite cause.

Kinda like "cancer". I'm waiting for them to just say "screw it, this is caused by water, deal widdit".
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide if the OP is a troll or a catfish
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IMO yes. If anything, it might push people towards the frozen veggies or dry beans aisle instead of the mac'n cheese and chips... Although I'd rather see healthier food cheaper, obviously.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    IMO yes. If anything, it might push people towards the frozen veggies or dry beans aisle instead of the mac'n cheese and chips... Although I'd rather see healthier food cheaper, obviously.

I'm sorry, what was the problem with macaroni and cheese again? I mean, don't get it twisted, I don't eat it, because keto, but what's the problem?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    No. But should not be served in school.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    No. But should not be served in school.

Macaroni and cheese?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I was recently in Arizona and their produce prices made me sad. I do live in the Central Valley, though, so produce is stupid cheap, especially when in season.

Prepared food is taxed where I am, but necessities are not.

I agree that this tax would just make it harder to be poor, which is already hard enough. I disagree that Americans are over taxed though, considering we're about on par with many other countries we like to compare ourselves to; I think it has much more to do with the fact that we don't get much back for our taxes so it seems like we're over paying.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All food is taxed in my state.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Taxing cigarettes only makes smokers complain more. No one needs that
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do agree that raising taxes on junk food might lead to less obesity... quite a possibility.

However, there are better alternatives for aiding in fighting the obesity epidemic. For example, why not further people's resources to gain knowledge of the "obesity epidemic", so that they then have the right knowledge to decide for themselves how much junk food they will eat.

More important it should start in school cafeterias to mandate them to only offer healthy foods, this will make a new generation in the near future, they will already be 'programmed' to eat healthy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

that is ridiculous...

sugar does not cause diabetes...and your basic argument is that I should pay the tax know so that I can subsidize someone else's poor decision? What assurance do I have that this tax is actual going to go toward health care costs, and not some idiotic government program?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Trust me, too much of anything will make one gain weight.

Nailed it!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I was recently in Arizona and their produce prices made me sad. I do live in the Central Valley, though, so produce is stupid cheap, especially when in season.

I agree that this tax would just make it harder to be poor, which is already hard enough. I disagree that Americans are over taxed though, considering we're about on par with many other countries we like to compare ourselves to; I think it has much more to do with the fact that we don't get much back for our taxes so it seems like we're over paying.

so when 50% of tax payers shoulder almost 100% of the tax burden they are not over taxed??????????
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I might be on board with this type of tax. Instead of trying to determine what is junk and what is not just tax all the prepared foods.