Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD
    1 lb. Cocoa (unrefined) ~1.50 USD
    1 lb. Hershey's Chocolate (I went cheap) ~47.90 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

I found another one on Amazon for 35 USD, hope it's not used.

Wow. Well, there you go. I thought I must be misreading...

This is in the UK?

Yes - US distribution - price online varies between 25-55 USD.

How much for Green and Blacks at a local market (Tesco?) or something?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD
    1 lb. Cocoa (unrefined) ~1.50 USD
    1 lb. Hershey's Chocolate (I went cheap) ~47.90 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

I found another one on Amazon for 35 USD, hope it's not used.

Uh...

A 6 pack of 1.55oz bars is $3.16 at Wal-Mart, so 1 lb would be $5.44. I've bought bars of chocolate that would go for $48/lb, but they're a lot more awesome than Hershey's ;)

Still proving the point that apples are cheaper. I added the novelty 1lb bar - there's also a 5lb bar at ~55 USD for the die hard Hershey's lover.

Agree with the quality of chocolate - I have an 88% Kenyan Dark on my desk at 3oz for ~5 USD.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    I'm in favor of taxing foods high in sugar that likely lead to cravings and obesity. This tax can be just a small amount, i'd like the revenue to be used to help pay for increased costs asssociated with obesity related diseases because some people will never "push back" from the table.

The amount of overeating many ppl do is extreme.....not everyone will agree but this is worth trying, as mentioned above, perhaps in a limited area.

excess calories leads to obseity, so tax all foods then?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yes put tax on sugar products eg chocolate, fizzy juice etc. We as adults chose for ourselves what to eat but when doin shopping mums n dads have budgets they are goin to pick the cheaper stuff to feed their kids not there fault the food with high saturated fat etc is what is cheaper in supermarkets. It's sad day when bar of chocolate is cheaper than a bunch of apples. If a mum or dad gives kid 50p for shop there's nothing to buy healthy at that price for that price so they buy a sweetie instead. And it may cut down on over weight adults and kids.

Do you have some price examples showing a lower cost for a bar of chocolate vs a bunch of apples? Even if it is, is that really a valid comparison? If I buy a bunch of apples, I am buying fruit for my kids lunch for the week. If I am buying a chocolate bar, I am not expecting it to last more than one sitting. Therefore I expect to pay more for multiple servings of any food.

A more appropriate comparison would be if you had an example showing a single chocolate bar cheaper than a single apple.

I'm in uk. Big bar chocolate 60p. cola 39p. Apples £1.89 for 5 pack.
    Shocking for fresh fruit n veg cost more than sugar stuff. And the nhs shove in family's mind need 5 a day we'll bring down the price of fresh stuff and up price on sugary stuff. As it's costing our nhs hospital and doc appointments with related obesity and diabetics etc take away the problem for people to get quick cheap fixes

But that means an apple is 0.38, right?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yes put tax on sugar products eg chocolate, fizzy juice etc. We as adults chose for ourselves what to eat but when doin shopping mums n dads have budgets they are goin to pick the cheaper stuff to feed their kids not there fault the food with high saturated fat etc is what is cheaper in supermarkets. It's sad day when bar of chocolate is cheaper than a bunch of apples. If a mum or dad gives kid 50p for shop there's nothing to buy healthy at that price for that price so they buy a sweetie instead. And it may cut down on over weight adults and kids.

Do you have some price examples showing a lower cost for a bar of chocolate vs a bunch of apples? Even if it is, is that really a valid comparison? If I buy a bunch of apples, I am buying fruit for my kids lunch for the week. If I am buying a chocolate bar, I am not expecting it to last more than one sitting. Therefore I expect to pay more for multiple servings of any food.

A more appropriate comparison would be if you had an example showing a single chocolate bar cheaper than a single apple.

I'm in uk. Big bar chocolate 60p. cola 39p. Apples £1.89 for 5 pack.
    Shocking for fresh fruit n veg cost more than sugar stuff. And the nhs shove in family's mind need 5 a day we'll bring down the price of fresh stuff and up price on sugary stuff. As it's costing our nhs hospital and doc appointments with related obesity and diabetics etc take away the problem for people to get quick cheap fixes

But that means an apple is 0.38, right?

Exactly...
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Also another example a asda ready meal £1 that's full of saturated fat and sugar. You can't by fresh stuff to cook a proper meal compared to this without costing a family £10 per meal. It's shocking.

Again, it is difficult to comment without concrete examples. What is in the ready meal you are describing? When you say full of saturated fat and sugar - not sure what type of meal you are referring to. I eat frozen meals fairly regularly for lunch at work, and most are actually quite calorie controlled with limited fat and very little sugar. The only thing on the label that tends to give people pause is the sodium content, which I'm not terribly concerned about.

It's also difficult to compare because I'm in the US, but here there are a variety of economical, nutrient dense foods that are available for people to prepare healthy meals from scratch for about the same amount of money. Things like rice, beans, potatoes tend to always be lower cost. If fresh produce is too pricey, perhaps look at canned or frozen items - still just as many nutrients but without the added costs incurred from potential spoilage. Is there a farmers market that sells items cheaper? Are you using coupons?

Also again, to make sure we are on the same page - you compared an individual portion for £1 to a family £10 per meal. Did you mean that the cost for each person in the family is £10? Or that £10 feeds the entire family, in which case, would need to be divided by the number of family members to get a price per serving... same thing as your bag of apples vs one individual chocolate bar...
  • WinoGelato
    edited September 2016
    Options

You can get 4 packet of twirls for £1 compared to a 5pk apples £1.89. If not got great income u would get 2 packets twirls so u get 8 items for lunch box which last 2 wks of school or the apples that last one wk. I don't this but I know this is what happens because the world we live in we look for deals to make money to further. So make it cheaper on fresh fruit n veg and tax all products with sugar in

apples have sugar in them...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You can get 4 packet of twirls for £1 compared to a 5pk apples £1.89. If not got great income u would get 2 packets twirls so u get 8 items for lunch box which last 2 wks of school or the apples that last one wk. I don't this but I know this is what happens because the world we live in we look for deals to make money to further. So make it cheaper on fresh fruit n veg and tax all products with sugar in

Yep, tax all food!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From on online grocery store I can get 3 lbs of apples for $2.99. ($0.06/oz)

I can get an 11 oz bag of Kit-Kats for $3.99 (or $0.36/oz). Other bags of candy are about the same or more. I'm sure you can find it cheaper at CostCo or the like, but same with the apples.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What kind of apples? Depending on the breed you can either get 5 apples for that much or 3 kilos.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I meant items with added sugar not natural

added sugar and natural sugar are the same...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Oh dear.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I meant items with added sugar not natural

added sugar and natural sugar are the same...

No it's not I'm afraid. Naturally occurring sugars found in fruit and whole foods. In fruit is fructose

Table sugar is taken from a plant...
    And fruits don't just contain fructose either.