Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Um ok
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    When takin from natural occurring and add it to another a chemical reaction happens in the processed foods it's added to

No.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    When takin from natural occurring and add it to another a chemical reaction happens in the processed foods it's added to

No.

I've never heard that one before.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

What type of 'chemical reaction'? Do you have any reputable scientific sources to back up that claim?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's been a good debate thanks folks :)

Ahh, come back later!!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    No it doesn't.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When you take one sugar and add it to something else like food. It's a chemical reaction as it cannot go back to its natural state.
    So you have no background in chemistry and have no idea how chemical reactions occur or you are trolling. Got it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    adding sugar to another food is a physical reaction and is not a chemical reaction - the sugar does not combine with the chemicals that make up the food that it is added to, the sugar exists along sied the food (and can be separated out using only physical processes).

edited for clarity
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When you take one sugar and add it to something else like food. It's a chemical reaction as it cannot go back to its natural state.

So what chemical reaction occurs when you add some sugar to steel cut oats? How does this compare to the chemical reaction that occurs when you slice up a banana and add it to the oats?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I tend to believe science
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you want me to bore you I would but at end of it everyone makes there on beliefs in things so........

Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't be boring, and chemical reactions aren't really a question of faith, so not something that we can just believe in or not. They happen or they don't and it's provable.