Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Low carb vindicated by science

Options
BreezeDoveal
BreezeDoveal Posts: 566 Member
A neta analsysis (where they net all the studies together to understand all of them in one net) shows insulin effects on muscle:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26404065

Replies

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Am i misreading?

" In the overall estimate, insulin did not affect MPS (WMD 3.90 [95% CI -0.74, 8.55], p = 0.71), but significantly reduced MPB (WMD -15.46 [95% CI -19.74, -11.18], p < 0.001). Overall, insulin significantly increased net balance protein acquisition (WMD 20.09 [95% CI 15.93, 24.26], p < 0.001). "
  • toastayy
    toastayy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's actually a meta-analysis not neta, and they choose a subset of articles that fit their criteria, from a larger database of studies.

So, from the brief summary it states that although insulin doesn't increase the synthesis of protein, it does reduce the amount that is broken down in the body.
    Since I don't have full access to the article, it would be nice to know how much insulin was used in the studies, as that would shed some light on how insulin affects protein metabolism in a normal person as a opposed to in a diabetic who have elevated levels of insulin. It would also be nice to see if there is a difference between the insulin we produce naturally, as opposed to exogenous insulin that diabetics have to take.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How does a study which indicates that insulin infusion increases protein aquisition vindicate low carb? Wouldn't low carb cause less insulin to be available?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Athletes who follow low carb diets for an extended period of time become less able to utilize carbohydrates as fuel. This is usually not to their benefit. Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/trends-fads/carbs-or-fat-which-is-the-bodys-preferred-fuel-source?page=1
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    How does a study which indicates that insulin infusion increases protein aquisition vindicate low carb? Wouldn't low carb cause less insulin to be available?

Exactly my thought - this has nothing really to do with low carb. Higher insulin levels increase protein retention, not too surprising as insulin is an anabolic hormone. If anything, this suggests higher carbohydrate diets are better, if they can keep insulin levels elevated more.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Exactly my thought - this has nothing really to do with low carb. Higher insulin levels increase protein retention, not too surprising as insulin is an anabolic hormone. If anything, this suggests higher carbohydrate diets are better, if they can keep insulin levels elevated more.

That would assume that "more equals better", which doesn't bear out beyond a certain threshold, as you can't forcefeed muscles into growth. The real question would be, is the insulin spike that comes from protein consumption sufficient to cover it's own needs? I'd be especially curious to see this borne out via a high response protein like whey.
  • lurline27
    lurline27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find it impossible to cut down on my carbohydrates, cut down on my fat, watch my sugar intake and my calories at the same time. I just don't eat carbs late at night. I switch from Atkins protein shake which is 9 grams of fat to Premier Protein which is only 3. I still have my two cups of frozen spinach with the protein shake in the morning along with two big strawberries blend it up. I think I have to find better snacks though because some of them that I have been doing have a lot of carbohydrates. I'm pretty active and I don't sit around all day doing nothing you would think you would burn up everything in you but that's not the case. Oh well I'm going to have some cheese
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lurline27 wrote: »
    I find it impossible to cut down on my carbohydrates, cut down on my fat, watch my sugar intake and my calories at the same time. I just don't eat carbs late at night. I switch from Atkins protein shake which is 9 grams of fat to Premier Protein which is only 3. I still have my two cups of frozen spinach with the protein shake in the morning along with two big strawberries blend it up. I think I have to find better snacks though because some of them that I have been doing have a lot of carbohydrates. I'm pretty active and I don't sit around all day doing nothing you would think you would burn up everything in you but that's not the case. Oh well I'm going to have some cheese

You can't really cut down on carbohydrates and fat at the same time. Food is made up of only three macronutrients: carbs, fat and protein. Trying to reduce two at the same time leaves you with only one. In your case, you'd need to drastically increase your protein consumption to accomplish what you want. Most low carb diets are really low carb, high fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I've run a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb diet before (85/10/5), and trust me, unless you enjoy feeling like hell all of the time, I'd not recommend it.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Why would you ever want to cut down on fat?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Why would you ever want to cut down on fat?

Why would you ever not want to cut down on fat?

Essential nurients? Improved health? Taste and mouth feel?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I need toast.
  • ouryve
    Options
    I settled for popcorn.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I settled for popcorn.

Great, now I want popcorn.

But.. I didn't hit my carb goal for today.

I am also out of calories though.

:'(
  • ouryve
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I settled for popcorn.

Great, now I want popcorn.

But.. I didn't hit my carb goal for today.

I am also out of calories though.

:'(

Popcorn for breakfast, then!

I've come in quite a way under for the first time in about a week. Makes up for some rather heavy days over the weekend. Teen son looked daggers at me for raiding his snack stash, though. >:)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That would assume that "more equals better", which doesn't bear out beyond a certain threshold, as you can't forcefeed muscles into growth. The real question would be, is the insulin spike that comes from protein consumption sufficient to cover it's own needs? I'd be especially curious to see this borne out via a high response protein like whey.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679613

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5