Anyone else eat a silly amount of vegetables?

Options
I started bulking around 110lbs at 5'9 (50KG, 175cm). I've gained about 20lbs since, eating 3000kcal on workout days and slightly less on rest days.

I actually never had a problem with appetite, and LOVE vegetables. I will eat multiple 2lb bags of frozen veggies a day. I average about 100g of fiber. Of course, I'm still getting a lot of protein ans fats, from other sources.

Anyone else do something similar or am I just weird? Are there any potential downsides to this?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat that much then fine but just be aware that you don't get any brownie points with your body for over eating your micros.
    It needs what it needs anything over that is irrelevant to it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your cal goals and other macros, you are feeling good with no hindrance on your gym performance (or um.. bathroom issues heh heh) I don't think there would be a problem. I love veggies too, maybe not as much as you but they are a very significant part of my diet.. yum!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love my veggies hugely, too, and I feel so much better after having read your post, @KingMeme123. My intake is puny by comparison, so I'll never be embarrassed ever again when I think of my consumption - thank you for liberating me!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Well I purposefully try to put a veggie on the plate at each meal. I never go out of my mind to eat 4 pounds of veggies. You asked if we thought you were weird? This is tops some wierdness for me but maybe its the bragging part.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    100 grams of fiber? Seriously? No. I'd never leave the men's room.

I get about 30-50 grams of fiber on any given day, and that is plenty for me. I do eat 2-3 servings of veggies at both lunch and dinner along with a 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I'm good. Thank you.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A potential downside is the intake of toxic levels of various vitamins and minerals. Too much of certain vitamins and minerals found in vegetables can cause serious health problems and birth defects. This is particularly true of fat soluble vitamins, such as Vitamin A. Excess water soluble vitamins such as Vitamin C will typically be excreted, although not always and recent research suggests that there are dangers to over consuming water soluble vitamins, too. Eating veggies has numerous health benefits but eating too much can have bad consequences.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    My brother actually turned orange from eating too many carrots.
  • KingMeme123
    KingMeme123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about sugar intake. Most of my carbs come from things like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, bell peppers which are all high in sugar. Its natural sugar but still sugar

@bametels
    I think (hope) most of the Vit A in plants comes from beta-carotine, which is only converted by the body as needed
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am just like you and probably eat at several kinds of veggies a day too LOL I don't think there's anything wrong with that I think we will just live to be 130 years old
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat that much then fine but just be aware that you don't get any brownie points with your body for over eating your micros.
    It needs what it needs anything over that is irrelevant to it.

This bears repeating!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I eat a ridiculous amount just out of pure enjoyment. I usually buy 8-12lbs total of veggies every 3-4 days and they're gone in those 3-4 days. I know some veggies weigh a lot more than others, but let's just say yes.....I eat an insane amount! I love them!(: even when bulking
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I get about 30-50 grams of fiber on any given day, and that is plenty for me. I do eat 2-3 servings of veggies at both lunch and dinner along with a 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I'm good. Thank you.

When I was vegan I'd get around 90-100g a day and never had any issues; poop every morning like I always do :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

When I was vegan I'd get around 90-100g a day and never had any issues; poop every morning like I always do :)

I used to get 150+ every day for a few years now I get like 100ish. I have always pooped amazingly as well lol
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Apparently, I'm more regular on 30 grams than you are on 100.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    LOL I am on the autoimmune paleo protocol, and I eat a ton of veggies! I even try to add in more servings by making meatloaf or meatballs with veggies in them (it's also a good way to add hidden liver). I love farmer markets season because I buy bunches of everything for so cheap!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "I'm a little worried about sugar intake. Most of my carbs come from things like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, bell peppers which are all high in sugar. Its natural sugar but still sugar"--It's easy enough to check your fasting blood sugar and even your post-meal blood sugar. If you know 10 people I'll bet 2-3 of them have monitors, and in any case your doc should be checking this for you every year. If your blood glucose is fine, you're not getting too many carbs or sugars or anything else from all those tasty veggies, so enjoy. I'm with you: there's no such thing as too many vegetables. I only wish they were easier to find in restaurants, most of which have never heard of anything but meat, potatoes, and iceberg lettuce.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    guilty. i could eat 5-10lbs of veggies a day easily if i dont control myself