Anyone work out and smoke?

Options
I smoke (I know it's stupid, I'm an RN) and start with a PT tomorrow. I'm trying hard to quit but struggling. Is it possible to get a decent level of fitness while on the *kitten* (for Americans translate cigarettes hehe). Or have I got to suck it up and quit asap? Would like to hear if anyone has done this xxx thanks x

Replies

• tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Yes, i want to say that I quit smoking and vaped for over 5 YEARS! I achieved a peak level of fitness while vaping and moved from 12mg, to 6, to 3, to the last two years vaping 0 nic. I quit vaping at the beginning of this year because i just didn't feel like doing it anymore. I woke up and just never had the desire again.

When i started vaping within the first 6 weeks I got my sense of taste and smell back and my lung capacity improved significantly.

I highly recommend you consider using this as a part of your entire plan to quit.

Thanks. I did a stupid thing and bought 200 cigarettes for like 25 bucks back from the states and felt compelled to smoke them all. I still have 4 packs left but gonna buy an e cig. I had one but it was too strong. I'm surprised you achieved peak fitness vaping? They make me cough. But I will try one again see if I can get used to it
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    tanny684 wrote: »
    Yes, i want to say that I quit smoking and vaped for over 5 YEARS! I achieved a peak level of fitness while vaping and moved from 12mg, to 6, to 3, to the last two years vaping 0 nic. I quit vaping at the beginning of this year because i just didn't feel like doing it anymore. I woke up and just never had the desire again.

When i started vaping within the first 6 weeks I got my sense of taste and smell back and my lung capacity improved significantly.

I highly recommend you consider using this as a part of your entire plan to quit.

Thanks. I did a stupid thing and bought 200 cigarettes for like 25 bucks back from the states and felt compelled to smoke them all. I still have 4 packs left but gonna buy an e cig. I had one but it was too strong. I'm surprised you achieved peak fitness vaping? They make me cough. But I will try one again see if I can get used to it
    I've read conflicting things regarding nicotine absorption while vaping, some say it happens mostly in the mouth while others say the lungs. I didn't get a buzz either way, so I just started keeping the puff in my mouth, not inhaling. No more coughing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    tanny684 wrote: »

Coughing is something that happens to almost everyone who is new because they don't know the technique of vaping. As you get used to it you can to a "straight lung inhale" but almost everyone i've known vaping does "mouth to lung".

With this you do not straight inhale vapor like you would a cigarette. You don't just "suck in" or "breathe in". You draw the vapor into your mouth first and THEN you can inhale it.

In any case, yes, i highly recommend that the one you get is not a cheap one that looks like this:
    6693120.jpg?438.3333332538605
    21MLEctKY0L.jpg

Or anything that is "pen" styled.

They will likely not provide you with the level of satisfaction that smoking does. going back to smoking will be too easy if you don't enjoy it. I would get a box mod or a tube mod which has a newer chip in it and requires real batteries. they will last you longer and provide a better experience. I would also say you would benefit from an RDA, but the tanks nowadays aren't horrible.

In any case, i would do your research, try e-juice that is maybe 12mg or even 6 and try different flavors. Don't just settle with a "tobacco" flavor. Vaping is not smoking, so i don't recommend you try to replicate your smoking habit with vaping.

Vaping can be a good way to help you quit, but many people vape simply because it is a better and more enjoyeable experience regardless. Like i said, i vaped for 5 years felt fantastic and enjoyed it and had no intentions to quit ever.
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The single best thing you can do is stop smoking
  • tanny684
    Options
    Thankyou to everyone that replied xx I'm
    Gonna try the bigger sub ohm tanks, and not breathe it in as someone suggested. I'm hoping it will be a good incentive to change my whole lifestyle. Thanks again xx
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm an occasional smoker, more social than anything, but it goes through phases. I might smoke on average 2 cigs a day but then will go a month without smoking. I know I'm strange...anyway, when I work out during times I might smoke I don't notice a difference in my ability to perform. It's not easier when I'm not smoking either. I have a tendency to work hard regardless though. If I'm going to work out I'm going to push it to the max everytime. I'm sure this may be different for heavy smokers as other posters have mentioned.
    Cold turkey works for some but I've found slowly cutting off has worked best for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was a two-pack a day smoker when I started running. The first few weeks when I ran were hell, and I ran for all of one, maybe two, blocks. But I made progress despite being a smoker.
    Two years after I started running, I ran a sub-40 minutes 10K, which is pretty fast.
    Here's the deal though. Quitting smoking is hard. One reason it is hard is because there is no positive reinforcement for not smoking. If I have an urge, and I deny it, then I just still have the urge and I have to continue to endure it, for a while, probably. But, if I give in to the urge.....BAM....that urge goes away immediately. That's the way it is going to be for two, three, four weeks, at least.
    But running is easier when you don't smoke. (I finally quit a few years back, with the drug Chantix.) So, you can sort of use running as a positive reinforcement -- or at least something of an inducement.
    Plus, for the last 10 years or so of my running days, I used to put off smoking for that day until I had done my run. That was because it was so much easier to run before I smoked.
    That can help you to quit too, because sometimes you don't run until 3 pm or 4 pm or even later. So, you are training yourself to go without smoking, and you are kinda getting over the nicotine dependence.
    Good luck.
    Course, you should quit. But stick with the running even if you cannot.
    PS I believe it has been shown that runners cut their lung cancer risk by quite a bit -- even if they have that risk because they are smokers.
  • tanny684
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I was a two-pack a day smoker when I started running. The first few weeks when I ran were hell, and I ran for all of one, maybe two, blocks. But I made progress despite being a smoker.
    Two years after I started running, I ran a sub-40 minutes 10K, which is pretty fast.
    Here's the deal though. Quitting smoking is hard. One reason it is hard is because there is no positive reinforcement for not smoking. If I have an urge, and I deny it, then I just still have the urge and I have to continue to endure it, for a while, probably. But, if I give in to the urge.....BAM....that urge goes away immediately. That's the way it is going to be for two, three, four weeks, at least.
    But running is easier when you don't smoke. (I finally quit a few years back, with the drug Chantix.) So, you can sort of use running as a positive reinforcement -- or at least something of an inducement.
    Plus, for the last 10 years or so of my running days, I used to put off smoking for that day until I had done my run. That was because it was so much easier to run before I smoked.
    That can help you to quit too, because sometimes you don't run until 3 pm or 4 pm or even later. So, you are training yourself to go without smoking, and you are kinda getting over the nicotine dependence.
    Good luck.
    Course, you should quit. But stick with the running even if you cannot.
    PS I believe it has been shown that runners cut their lung cancer risk by quite a bit -- even if they have that risk because they are smokers.

Thankyou, that was really helpful. I know a lot of doctors and nurses that smoke, but also run marathons and are in good shape, so I did wonder whether it was doable. Seems an active smoker is better than a non active smoker. I will try and quit though, before the change in routine made it much easier to stop smoking, and I physically felt much more energetic when I quit.

Has anyone had this weird problem....as an aside.....I'm hyperactive. I work a 12.5 hour shift, on my feet all day, stay alert, most days will go out after work. Because I shower and get ready first I'll usually hit the bars around midnight and sometimes be out until 6/7am. When I reluctantly go home because everything has closed. I use smoking and eating crap to sedate myself. When I have more energy it is problematic. At one point I have been banned from drinking caffeine or eating sugar where I work because people were annoyed at how energetic I was. Has anyone else found this problem and what did you do to solve it?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do you mean smoking literally while you're working out? That sounds a bit silly, I'd wait at least until after lol.
    If you're interested in quitting, maybe your trainer will know of some resources. Or a doctor? It's not something that's easy to do, so it's okay to struggle. Just keep moving forward.

Hopefully increasing exercise will help you calm down at night too. Can you try thinking of other habits? Maybe try knitting or colouring in bed as you're waiting to fall asleep? Listen to some music, try some of those pillow sprays that are supposed to soothe... Maybe see if you can get into a sleep clinic if other things aren't working. Have you tried hypnosis? It works for some.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Smoking is bad for you, everyone knows that. I lost 70 lbs on here while smoking. Quitting will make you healthier, you can still lose weight and work out even if you don't quit.
  • tanny684
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Do you mean smoking literally while you're working out? That sounds a bit silly, I'd wait at least until after lol.
    If you're interested in quitting, maybe your trainer will know of some resources. Or a doctor? It's not something that's easy to do, so it's okay to struggle. Just keep moving forward.

Hopefully increasing exercise will help you calm down at night too. Can you try thinking of other habits? Maybe try knitting or colouring in bed as you're waiting to fall asleep? Listen to some music, try some of those pillow sprays that are supposed to soothe... Maybe see if you can get into a sleep clinic if other things aren't working. Have you tried hypnosis? It works for some.

Thanks. It's difficult because I work a lot of nights so don't sleep well anyway. As a senior nurse I have a lot of acutely unwell patients which can be stressful, particularly at night when it's out of hours and medical cover isn't as great. But when I go out for a cigarette, and see colleagues, we all have a joke and a laugh and cheer each other up. So the association now isn't just smoking as in nitocine replacement but feeling better, getting fresh air, having a ten minute actual break (not writing notes while eating your sandwich). That's hard to give up. It's now 01.28am and I have to be up at 5am. So will get maybe three hours sleep. But I'm fine on that. Can work a 13 hour shift on that. This is my worry....if I quit smoking and eat healthily, and get bundles of energy, I will never sleep, or sit down.
    I've tried hypnosis but sadly it didn't work for me :(.
    Think I will probably have to get a second job or something to keep me occupied. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it x
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options

True that, quit smoking and am now vaping at 0% nicotine, a true miracle for me. Love hearing thos stories. Congrats.. Tanny684, it works.. Loved your post Rainbow.. MFP rocks, inspirational..
  • gremlinreb
    gremlinreb Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Smoker here too. What I've noticed over the past few weeks is that I'm smoking less and less each day. I'm doing C25K and 30 day shred. It's usually at least an hour and a half before I reach for one after doing either of those. I'm consciously replacing some cigarettes with water too.

I tried vaping before but I personally don't like it. I hope to have quit smoking completely by Christmas.