What helped you gain muscle and what prevented you from gaining muscle?

Options
ShinySkyShaymin1994
ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering since I have a problem gaining muscle what routines helped you gain muscle and if you had problems gaining muscle in the past what prevented them? I have been trying to figure out what was preventing my muscle growth even though I exercise almost every day and have a protein shake right after to gain muscle someone told me to up my protein to my current weight which is 193 while I am currently eating around 160g a day and break down the muscle groups over a period of 4-7 days so one day I do bicep exercises with 15 reps light weight 12 reps medium weight 6-8 heavy weight then back to 12 medium weight the next quads and hamsprings the next abs etc I am in the process of figuring out my muscle fibers once I bounce back up from being sick since muscle fiber might be a reason I learned. So let me know any info you think might be helpful I have no medical conditions except for Autism Spectrum Disorder and eczema and Asthma

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Being on a progressive resistance program while eating at a slight calorie surplus (rich in protein and carbohydrates) helped me grow muscles.

Progressive resistance = the weights get heavier, I get stronger to cope with them, then they get heavier again.

Calorie surplus = I'd be getting fat if I wasn't lifting. (Still grew a belly though.)

I'd recommend looking into Stronglifts 5x5 as it's free and effective.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Finding an established and progressive lifting program and eating in a caloric surplus. And patience. Muscle growth is very slow.
    Making up your own program is usually not ideal unless you are very experienced.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts, whole body compound lifts three days a week, and seem to gain muscle just fine. I don't gain strength very fast and I think that is because I'm eating in a deficit. I used to have problems gaining muscle because I did lots of reps of low weight isolation exercises with no set program. Once I started Stronglifts and lifting as heavy as I could with good form everything changed.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eating in a surplus and not eating in a surplus. Your lifting should be the secondary concern. As long as you're lifting progressively you will be stimulating your muscles for a growth response.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    doing the wrong exercises and doing the right ones
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Build muscle=calorie surplus, protein, compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlift), 3x8 set/rep for squats and bench (really built strength and muscle for me), following an established program

Preventing muscle growth=too much cardio, not eating enough, not following a program
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Eating in a surplus and not eating in a surplus. Your lifting should be the secondary concern. As long as you're lifting progressively you will be stimulating your muscles for a growth response.

I am 6 foot 2 also trying to eat more to gain a little bit of extra fat that I lost too much of and I am 193 with loose skin possibly 10 pounds minimum and I am trying to get 3360 calories while working and moving around a lot at work and then working out. I was maintaining my weight at 3000 so I bumped up a few hundred calories
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What helped me:
    -Eating in surplus
    -Flexible eating
    -Following a program
    -Patience

What didn't help:
    -Not eating in surplus
    -Too much cardio
    -Eating "clean" all the time
    -Doing random stuff in the gym
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can only eat in surplus for so long because you gain fat and it coats the muscle. Once you get too fat, then you have to find your basal rate and subract 250 calories from it too lose some of the fat. Easy to get a beer belly and get stronger lol
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What helped me:
    -Eating in surplus
    -Flexible eating
    -Following a program
    -Patience

What didn't help:
    -Not eating in surplus
    -Too much cardio

What do you mean by eating clean all the time? And do I want to eat more then I should? That's what eating in surplus is right?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Muscle gain is the wrong focus because there's no exact way to measure it.

On the other hand, lean body mass (LBM) which includes muscle, bone and other body tissue exclusive of body fat (BF) AND strength can be measured w/reasonable accuracy; strength more so than LBM & BF.

So, using these terms and based on my experience, you can gain strength, increase your LBM% and your reduce BF% by: 1) engaging in a progressive linear compound lifting program, such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts, 2) by eating at a 10-20% calorie deficit relative to your maintenance TDEE and) by eating a high protein/carb diet of about 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

Doing this over the past 8 months I lost 36# from 196 to 160#, increased my LBM% from 75 to 88%, decreased my BF% from 25 to 12% and increased my 1RM strength by over 20% in the DL 275 to 330, SQT 195 to 250, BP 170 to 210 and OHP 105 to 125.

BTW, I did this at 66 years of age and have NEVER looked and felt better in my life. I even have a six pack now that I never knew even existed b4.

OP: What this specifically means for you initially is STOP doing low/hi rep/wt isolated arm/leg workouts. All you need to do is do progressively HEAVIER compound lifts - - the DL, SQT, BP and OHP - - in low rep/sets typically 3x5, 4x6 or 5x5.

Accessory work is NOT necessary. The only accessory lifting I ever did were Rows and Farmers Walks but I have since dropped them because they didn't help that much and just made me feel more fatigued.

All I do now in addition to the 4 compound lifts are body weight pushups, pullups, dips, GHRs and sissy squats.

If it worked for this old man, there's no reason it can't work for you. All it requires is time, dedication and determination.

Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What helped me:
    -Eating in surplus
    -Flexible eating
    -Following a program
    -Patience

What didn't help:
    -Not eating in surplus
    -Too much cardio

What do you mean by eating clean all the time? And do I want to eat more then I should? That's what eating in surplus is right?

My first bulk two years ago, I tried to keep my diet as unprocessed as possible (whatever that means right).. but no sweets, no goodies etc. I found it was just so hard for me to keep up with my surplus that way, I would get full too fast, be too bloated and just not be able to eat that much - I was miserable. Since adding in treats I can easily hit my surplus and not feel too stuffed, and it is much more fun that way :)

You need to eat more than your TDEE (or total daily energy expenditure) at least 200-250 over per day. If you find you aren't gaining at 3360 or what have you, every few weeks keep bumping it up until you are. Be consistent. That is another one I should have added.
  • berrios96sean
    berrios96sean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't ever stop lifting. In time you will get stronger of you are contanty pushing yourself and slowly increasing your weight. Just keep killing it man if your in the gym you're already one step closer. With time you will get that mind muscle connection and learn how to get stronger until then man just keep at it I promos you if you are consistent you will get strong.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't ever stop lifting. In time you will get stronger of you are contanty pushing yourself and slowly increasing your weight. Just keep killing it man if your in the gym you're already one step closer. With time you will get that mind muscle connection and learn how to get stronger until then man just keep at it I promos you if you are consistent you will get strong.

I never plan to I want to at some point try to go onto the show American Ninja Warrior! I saw that show last week for the first time and I am like If I can do that it'll make me so proud of myself and I love a crowd! So I am using that as motivation
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Does high intensity work outs work for you I started doing a 7 minute ab work out with high intensity I am currently training myself to flex my abs I am really new high intensity and explanations would also help to really learn exactly what to do,
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Finding an established and progressive lifting program and eating in a caloric surplus. And patience. Muscle growth is very slow.
    Making up your own program is usually not ideal unless you are very experienced.

This. And for a more detailed discussion, read this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Why is he saying to eat candy bagels pizza ice cream etc with healthy food? Why do I want to put that in my body to gain muscle? that would add fat those food you should only have on a cheat meal
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Main things that helped me:
    * Dialing in my surplus to meet my goals.
    * starting a program and sticking to it.
    * Getting with a group of people who put in work!
    * Squat, Cleans and Deadlift
    * Focusing on Mobility

Main things that hurt me:
    * Eating too much protein and not enough carbs and fats
    * Not cooking my meals in advance

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Why is he saying to eat candy bagels pizza ice cream etc with healthy food? Why do I want to put that in my body to gain muscle? that would add fat those food you should only have on a cheat meal

I don't speak for @psuLemon. You'll have to ask him that question.

But speaking for myself, I don't view individual foods as healthy or unhealthy - I view overall diets as healthy or unhealthy. If you're eating a nutritionally balanced diet, you're consuming enough protein for your muscle building goals and you're still not eating at a surplus, there's nothing wrong with incorporating pizza, ice cream, bagels and chocolate into your diet. Obviously, eating only pizza, ice cream, bagels, and chocolate would be unhealthy, but nobody's advocating that.

So I guess my question to you is: what harm will any of those foods do if they're part of a nutritionally balanced diet?