Bro, do you even eat clean?

I know this has been brought up a lot, and will continuously get debated since it's a huge topic in the industry current. There are those who believe in clean eating and that is fine but I wanted to provide some thoughts on clean eating from a recent video from Dr. Layne Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge3NPxoCuAI

One of the main reasons I am posting this, is because it's one of many factors that limit people from reaching their calorie goals, continuously failing to make progress -often for years-, and give people the belief they are hard gainers.

Ultimately, my goal here is provide a one stop source (articles, videos, studies, etc...) to help inform the community. So please feel free to add additional information to this thread or even ask questions.

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Thank you - this is so helpful!
    (Poor guy sounds like he has a nasty cold!)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

He always sounds like that.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    @psuLemon - I'm C&Ping his references and links from youtube for ease of reference if anyone wants to browse them.

Excellent video by the way. He breaks everything down simply - even I can understand it lol. Thanks :)
    Published on Jan 17, 2017

Clean eating seems intuitive to many people, but is it really? Is clean eating real? Can it be defined? Is it superior to a model of flexible dieting?

References:
    A review of the carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...

Bier DM. The energy cost of protein metabolism: lean and mean on Uncle Sam’s team. In: The role of protein and amino acids in sustaining and enhancing performance. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1999:109-19.

Buchnolz AC and Schoeller DA. Is a calorie a calorie? Am J Clin Nutr, 2004:79(suppl): 899S-906S.

West JA, de Looy AE. Weight loss in overweight subjects following low-sucrose or sucrose-containing diets. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Aug;25(8):1122-8.

Saris WH, Astrup A, Prentice AM, Zunft HJ, Formiguera X, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Raben A, Poppitt SD, Seppelt B, Johnston S, Vasilaras TH, Keogh GF. Randomized controlled trial of changes in dietary carbohydrate/fat ratio and simple vs complex carbohydrates on body weight and blood lipids: the CARMEN study. The Carbohydrate Ratio Management in European National diets. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Oct;24(10):1310-8.

Raatz SK, Torkelson CJ, Redmon JB, Reck KP, Kwong CA, Swanson JE, Liu C, Thomas W, Bantle JP. Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women. J Nutr. 2005 Oct;135(10):2387-91.

Surwit RS, Feinglos MN, McCaskill CC, Clay SL, Babyak MA, Brownlow BS, Plaisted CS, Lin PH. Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

Saturated fat & heart disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...

Dairy & Health:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...

Restrictive Dieting & Binge eating
    Smith CF, Williamson DA, Bray GA, Ryan DH. Flexible vs Rigid Dieting Strategies: Relationship with Adverse Behavioral Outcomes. Appetite, 1999, 32, 295-305

Meule A, Westenhofer J, Kubler A. Food cravings mediate the relationship between rigid, but not flexible control of eating behavior and dieting success.

Stotland. Moderation: An alternative to restraint as a mode of weight self-regulation. Eating Behaviors 2012, 13;406-409.
  • psuLemon
    ^Good idea
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    following for the inevitable "yea, but you will gain fat if you don't eat clean"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    following for the inevitable "yea, but you will gain fat if you don't eat clean"

I will. Not because of quackery, but because I seem to want to put down at least a pound of food at any given meal, no matter what it consists of.

A pound of chicken breast and apples? Maybe 500 kcals.

A pound of chicken thigh? A bit over 1100.

Anything less than a pound is a snack for me when bulking. The only exception seems to be protein bars. I think I might actually rupture something if I tried to eat a pound of Quest bars. That would be like 8.5 of them at once.
  • psuLemon
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I will. Not because of quackery, but because I seem to want to put down at least a pound of food at any given meal, no matter what it consists of.

A pound of chicken breast and apples? Maybe 500 kcals.

A pound of chicken thigh? A bit over 1100.

Anything less than a pound is a snack for me when bulking. The only exception seems to be protein bars. I think I might actually rupture something if I tried to eat a pound of Quest bars. That would be like 8.5 of them at once.

Volume of food is a huge thing for me during a cut. So I definitely try to eat more lean and wholesome while I cut down. Although, I am carb/calorie cycling currently, and ironically, I struggle to his my carb goals on high carb days.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Awesome stuff. Do you guys know of any scientific evidence that links food and autoimmune disease? Would greatly appreciate any reference!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    There is another study about the possible link between salt and autoimmune disorders (re inflammation) but I couldn't find the study,only articles
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    I eat clean the Majority of the time, BUT I allow myself routine cheat days and cheat meals. My cheats are always planned out ahead of time so I am able to meal prep accordingly.
  • psuLemon
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    Awesome stuff. Do you guys know of any scientific evidence that links food and autoimmune disease? Would greatly appreciate any reference!

Is there are particular autoimmune disease you are thinking of. That's fairly broad.
  • cremorna1
    edited January 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

Is there are particular autoimmune disease you are thinking of. That's fairly broad.

Well, I am most interested in myasthenia gravis.

Internet wisdom says that eating 'clean' (as in organic, non-gmo) is particularly important for ppl suffering for autoimmune diseases. Whether the diet should be vegan or paleo-based autoimmune protocol, is, however, a different debate.

So, I am interested in some scientific evidence as to what clean should mean for ppl with autoimmune disease.

Personally, I feel better of when I am not eating gluten & diary. I have not tried vegan diet, though so I cannot compare to that. I am not intolerant to either gluten, nor diary btw.

Bottom line for me: for healthy people following a flexitarian diet is probably best, but for autoimmune diseases this affirmation may not hold.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for this post! Very insightful for a novice like me.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well, I am most interested in myasthenia gravis.

Internet wisdom says that eating 'clean' (as in organic, non-gmo) is particularly important for ppl suffering for autoimmune diseases. Whether the diet should be vegan or paleo-based autoimmune protocol, is, however, a different debate.

So, I am interested in some scientific evidence as to what clean should mean for ppl with autoimmune disease.

Personally, I feel better of when I am not eating gluten & diary. I have not tried vegan diet, though so I cannot compare to that. I am not intolerant to either gluten, nor diary btw.

Bottom line for me: for healthy people following a flexitarian diet is probably best, but for autoimmune diseases this affirmation may not hold.

I haven't seen this with my wifes autoimmune issue. Each autoimmune disease is highly different and I have yet to see one that would benefit from organic or non-gmo (although there are a very wide arrange of auto-immune issues, so I lack knowledge in many of those areas). My wife has Postural Orthostatic Tachycaria Syndrome, which has wide variability in the disease itself. Since it's a fairly newly discovered disease, it doesn't have overly too much research when it comes to food (outside of the benefits of salt - my wife needs 10,000mg a day). With her condition, some benefit from low carb, others it's gluten free or even lactose free. My wife is currently gluten free, but we are probably going to test a few more variables as she has a few other conditions that benefit from whole grains. The last time we tried elimination diets, my wife saw improvements on low carb , which subsequently was gluten free as well.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any research as it relates to yours and even with my wife's condition, there isn't much research. So I definitely feel your pain.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    @psuLemon Thanks for posting this video. Hopefully alot more watch it. So helpful! Planning is so important to flexible dieting.

I like how Layne uses the term "macro money". You may budget money spent so why not budget your macros for the day. If I want that ice cream or pizza later I will save my macros for it. So earlier in the day I will eat lower carb and lower fat to meet my budget.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

d3c50a1941637ad412af52c4e067ab12.gif
  • cremorna1
    @psuLemon Let's hope that, with autoimmune diseases on the rise, there will also be more research as it is becoming a public health concern. Unfortunately, many diseases taken alone are so rare, that there is no economic benefit in studying them... Till scientific evidence is available, trial and error must do! All the best to your wife!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    @psuLemon Let's hope that, with autoimmune diseases on the rise, there will also be more research as it is becoming a public health concern. Unfortunately, many diseases taken alone are so rare, that there is no economic benefit in studying them... Till scientific evidence is available, trial and error must do! All the best to your wife!

There's plenty of economic benefit in them. You fix such issues, you improve lifespan, and no one is easier for the medical community and Pharma companies to fleece than the elderly. They're just so willing to piss away millions for a couple of extra years. ;)