Bro, do you even eat clean?

Options
2»

Replies

• jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is there a single "RIGHT" way to eat? Your diet really should be what works for YOU and helps YOU achieve YOUR goals. My diet for ME is primarily low glycemic complex carbs, eggs, chicken, turkey, beef and fish. Once every few weeks I enjoy a "Cheat Meal" which is eating whatever I want. In March on my 50th birthday Im having a day of eating whatever my heart desires and maybe a couple IPA's. Those occasional cheats actually help ME stay on point with my diet. Its not for everyone, But it works for ME.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jwknight67 wrote: »
    Is there a single "RIGHT" way to eat? Your diet really should be what works for YOU and helps YOU achieve YOUR goals. My diet for ME is primarily low glycemic complex carbs, eggs, chicken, turkey, beef and fish. Once every few weeks I enjoy a "Cheat Meal" which is eating whatever I want. In March on my 50th birthday Im having a day of eating whatever my heart desires and maybe a couple IPA's. Those occasional cheats actually help ME stay on point with my diet. Its not for everyone, But it works for ME.

that is great...but the whole low glycemic carb thing is pretty much BS unless you have some kind of medical condition ..
  • jwknight67
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

that is great...but the whole low glycemic carb thing is pretty much BS unless you have some kind of medical condition ..
    I had gastric bypass a few years back, and found those are what work best with a re-routed digestive system
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

That isnt what this video is about. This is arguing against "clean" eating which is an erroneous term.
  • jwknight67
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

That isnt what this video is about. This is arguing against "clean" eating which is an erroneous term.

The way I always understood Clean, is not full of preservatives, or fed with hormones.Healthy foods that won't be contributing to a triple bypass later in life. Is there really such a thing? I cant say for sure. For example, a Big Mac, is high in calories, contains carbs and proteins, but is it healthy? Is it Clean? I would say no. If you go to Chipotle and order a chicken bowl with brown rice, black beans, Chicken and Fajitas. Their chicken is free range chickens, The veggies are organic. (Organic, means no pesticides) Is it clean? Yes, because its not pumped full of preservatives which allows better digestion and absorption of nutrients.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

The way I always understood Clean, is not full of preservatives, or fed with hormones.Healthy foods that won't be contributing to a triple bypass later in life. Is there really such a thing? I cant say for sure. For example, a Big Mac, is high in calories, contains carbs and proteins, but is it healthy? Is it Clean? I would say no. If you go to Chipotle and order a chicken bowl with brown rice, black beans, Chicken and Fajitas. Their chicken is free range chickens, The veggies are organic. (Organic, means no pesticides) Is it clean? Yes, because its not pumped full of preservatives which allows better digestion and absorption of nutrients.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Everyone has a different idea of what "clean" means, which is why the term is erroneous.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'll never get over seriously being asked "What do you think the super fit people on Instagram eat on Thanksgiving?"

I sad the same thing we would and was just told no and given a dirty look.

I miss the podcast man.
  • psuLemon
    Options

There is a lot of grey. Yogurt for example would be clean to me but not others since its processed. How about protein powders? And i haven't really hard people used organic or grass fed as a requirement. Especially since organic still uses pesticides, just natural ones.

In your example, if i did white rice at chipotle instead if brown, would it make it unclean?

And this is the point. There are no universal definitions. One food doesn't contribute to a triple bypass but overall poor diets, inactivity and obesity... and maybe genetics.

And that is the argument that Layne Norton makes.
  • jwknight67
    Options

There is a lot of grey. Yogurt for example would be clean to me but not others since its processed. How about protein powders? And i haven't really hard people used organic or grass fed as a requirement. Especially since organic still uses pesticides, just natural ones.

In your example, if i did white rice at chipotle instead if brown, would it make it unclean?

And this is the point. There are no universal definitions. One food doesn't contribute to a triple bypass but overall poor diets, inactivity and obesity... and maybe genetics.

You are right about the gray areas in eating clean. Much of my diet comes from my personal theory of learning from prior generations. I am my fathers genetic clone. I take after him with every physical attribute with my body. He is 76 with several health issues and takes a long list of meds every day. His diet was not very good, and he never exercised. When I was a teen and asked for a weight set and bench for Christmas, he thought I was nuts.

I workout all the time, I dont do fast food (unless Im on a long road trip and there is no other option). Currently I dont take any prescription meds. I firmly believe this is due to making healthier food choices and exercising. Is my food "Clean"? That can be debated until the next century, BUT I make sure that everything I eat can benefit my body and my goals.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are right about the gray areas in eating clean. Much of my diet comes from my personal theory of learning from prior generations. I am my fathers genetic clone. I take after him with every physical attribute with my body. He is 76 with several health issues and takes a long list of meds every day. His diet was not very good, and he never exercised. When I was a teen and asked for a weight set and bench for Christmas, he thought I was nuts.

I workout all the time, I dont do fast food (unless Im on a long road trip and there is no other option). Currently I dont take any prescription meds. I firmly believe this is due to making healthier food choices and exercising. Is my food "Clean"? That can be debated until the next century, BUT I make sure that everything I eat can benefit my body and my goals.

Interestingly enough, my great uncle passed away last year at 97 years old. He ate like crap and never exercised. It really goes to show that genetics is a huge player. What staying active and eating right will do is improve the odds and reduce unnecessary illnesses/diseases.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Layne Norton? Pshaw. What does he know? Probably not even a real doctor.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Layne Norton? Pshaw. What does he know? Probably not even a real doctor.

He's a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor. Its like bro, does he even lift.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, my great uncle passed away last year at 97 years old. He ate like crap and never exercised. It really goes to show that genetics is a huge player. What staying active and eating right will do is improve the odds and reduce unnecessary illnesses/diseases.

Genetics for the win - my maternal grandfather lived to the ripe old age of 95 and smoked unfiltered Camels till the day he died... go figure.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Genetics for the win - my maternal grandfather lived to the ripe old age of 95 and smoked unfiltered Camels till the day he died... go figure.

So far the longest life in my family is 103. That is a long *kitten* time to live.