Will only eating cereal for dinner make me lose weight?

Options
Hi you guys,

My question for the day if will i be able to lose weight if i eat only cereal ( i ear cheerios with 1% milk) for dinner? Of course, I work out about 4 days a week at the gym. I am studying for a test and will be taking it in 35 days. I get off work at 5 o'clock and to study intensely, I just created a plan to study 3 hours a day after work which makes it impossible to find time to make dinner. I have tried eating only cereal last week and I seem to be okay with it. It fills me up, and I like it.

Let me know of what you think.

Thanks

p.s.: I do eat around 1200 calories everyday, and have been very active. My concern is not just any quick fixes, I am wondering whether eating cereal for dinner is bad because people say carbs in the evening is never good for someone looking to lose weight.

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What you eat for dinner has nothing to do with how much weight you will lose. Find out how many calories you need to lose weight, and eat that number of calories, comprising it of any kind of food you like. If you're busy, cereal might be your best option. Otherwise, cook ahead and refrigerate or freeze food that you can reheat just as quickly as pouring a bowl of cereal.

If you're off work at 5pm and study for 3 hours, that's still only 8pm. Unless you go to bed at 9 or something, there's still plenty of time to either cook and eat before you study, or cook and eat afterwards. You need to make just as intense a commitment to losing weight as you have to studying.

Good luck!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    This has to be a troll, but oh well.

If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight. If you don't you won't.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    *Sigh*
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone looking for quick fixes just eat less move more
  • EA1979
    EA1979 Posts: 25
    Options
    I think it will be quite low calorie compared to a full meal. I did a few weeks on Shreddies for lunch and it really helped kick start my weight loss. It gets pretty boring after a while though! Good luck x
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Only if it's Special K.

The tv told me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    *Sigh*

x2
  • Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do eat around 1200 calories everyday, and have been very active. My concern is not just any quick fixes, I am wondering whether eating cereal for dinner is bad because people say carbs in the evening is never good for someone looking to lose weight.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do eat around 1200 calories everyday, and have been very active. My concern is not just any quick fixes, I am wondering whether eating cereal for dinner is bad because people say carbs in the evening is never good for someone looking to lose weight.

That makes more sense.
    The "carbs before bed" idea is just that...an idea. There hasn't been any solid proof that it'll affect your weight loss. If you want to be careful, just don't eat too close to bed. 6pm with a 9pm bedtime shouldn't hurt.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Cereal won't contribute to weight loss as it is a carbohydrate. you'd be better off with protein. if you're trying to lose FAT and gain or retain muscle, steer clear of cereals, special K or otherwise. Grain is not people food.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think it is always good to have vegetables and protein at a meal. Not necessarily no carbs--I actually eat quite a few carbs. But to JUST eat cereal and milk for dinner on a regular basis just sounds terribly unbalanced. There are some people here who just focus on quantity of calories, and it is absolutely true that whatever you eat, if you only eat a certain amount of calories you can lose weight. I, however, like to focus on the quality of the calories I am taking in, so I have recently stopped meals that are just something like cereal and milk.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out to lose weight......!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes if that bowl of cereal does not have more calories than you are allowed for the day yes, you can still lose weight, the carbs before bed thing shouldn't matter. All that will matter is if your total for the day is less calories than you need to stay at maintenance. If you find some days that you can afford more calories put some banana, nuts, honey or granola in your cereal for variety and extra cals without adding more time to getting the dinner foods in you. Good luck on your studying, I hope you pass whatever test your studies are for. I get from your post that it's "crunch time" and you've given a new meaning to the term. LOL.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    NO.

Bacon will though
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat something processed like that as your dinner which will more than likely give you cravings for something else later?

I would prefer to have 5-6 boiled eggs or my current fave is 100g Broccoli, Tin of tuna and 50g grated cheese and I let the hot broccoli melt the cheese with the tuna once cooked and it tastes great. My other main meal is 8oz chicken with 100g broccoli and 40g almonds which is lush. I coat the chicken in some spice powder before cooking mainly Masala powder with a bit of oil to make it stick to the chicken.

You should be looking to eat foods that will fill you up and are nice and delicious not look for some quick fix because you can't cook something quick. Btw my fave meal takes me 3 mins to make and that's just the broccoli cooking in the Microwave. The chicken I cook on a george foreman grill so it's slightly longer.
  • mylord77
    mylord77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cereal won't contribute to weight loss as it is a carbohydrate. you'd be better off with protein. if you're trying to lose FAT and gain or retain muscle, steer clear of cereals, special K or otherwise. Grain is not people food.
  • mylord77
    mylord77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Of course cereal is people food. where did you get that idea?? Eat your cheerios.. if it doesn't make you gain weight, enjoy!
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Is this topic serious?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Uh, grains are people foods. Srs, guy?

Anyway. If you want cereal, have it.