Getting back into it

Options
Hi all, so i took a break from ANY real fitness/workout anything for a few years. As quick review, I was in the military for 14 years so i'm in ok shape and I weigh about 135 and i'm 5'7". Just started doing the muscle gain work out on the full fitness app and I have tried to start doing 100 push ups a day 50 in the AM and 50 in the PM. I am wanting to gain weight and muscle but don't really know how to. I know how to exercise but gaining muscle and mass is more than that. I just bought some creatine and it says to take 5g before and after the work out. How soon before and after should I take it? My wife is on a weight loss journey and she has tried to help out where she can but my journey is different than hers. She introduced me to macros on the app and said generally people do macros or calorie count. I just don't know where to start.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, you don't need to take creatine before and after. It's a muscle saturator so you can just take 5g per day. And you don't have to worry about a load phase if you don't want to.

Second, the basic steps of gaining muscle:

1. Eat in a calorie surplus (~10 - 15% above your maintenance level or roughly 250 to 500 calories)
    2. Follow a progressive overload resistance program: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    3. Have adequate nutrition: ~ .6 to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (you can go a little higher for satiety or other personal preference; I tend to stay around 1g per lb of weight), .35. to .6g of fat and the rest carbs; carbs and fats can vary a bit based on personal preference.
    4. Get adequate rest

That is pretty much the basics. There are a few stickies that might provide greater insight. So I would recommend reading them to help get started.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    First, you don't need to take creatine before and after. It's a muscle saturator so you can just take 5g per day. And you don't have to worry about a load phase if you don't want to.

Second, the basic steps of gaining muscle:

1. Eat in a calorie surplus (~10 - 15% above your maintenance level or roughly 250 to 500 calories)
    2. Follow a progressive overload resistance program: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    3. Have adequate nutrition: ~ .6 to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (you can go a little higher for satiety or other personal preference; I tend to stay around 1g per lb of weight), .35. to .6g of fat and the rest carbs; carbs and fats can vary a bit based on personal preference.
    4. Get adequate rest

That is pretty much the basics. There are a few stickies that might provide greater insight. So I would recommend reading them to help get started.

To add to this very concise and informative post, I'd probably get a gym membership. Stick to the basics at first, and try to figure out what your exact goals are later. Be careful and make sure you have good form. I'd shy away from anything extremely cardiovascular for now and just focus on gaining weight and gaining strength.

Most will probably advise the powerlifting movements of bench press, squat and deadlifts for a beginner, but I'm kind of at odds with that philosophy. You can get even simpler: pullups, pushups (which you seem to do well!), and some kind of leg press. There's no need to overburden a fresh body with big complex compound movements until you've built up a solid baseline of strength. And let's be honest, confidence is a factor and you don't want to be the guy squatting 85 pounds...it wouldnt hurt to get under the bar once in a while just to practice form, though if you're interested!

Good luck man.
  • krzy1983
    krzy1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks I seriously appreciate it. I talked with an old supervisor of mine and he sai I shouldn't worry about creatine until I gain 45-50 lbs of lean mass. He says my body pretty much is going to flush it out because the mass I have isn't enough to hold it. Honestly it scares me to gain that much weight! I have to eat 2390 calories a day and FML it's hard to hit that. I have a decent workout routine right now (at least I feel like it is) but I can't upload it here because the apps don't link. If anyone has the full fitness app I'm doing the muscle building program, or if anyone knows how to upload it I will.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    krzy1983 wrote: »
    Thanks I seriously appreciate it. I talked with an old supervisor of mine and he sai I shouldn't worry about creatine until I gain 45-50 lbs of lean mass. He says my body pretty much is going to flush it out because the mass I have isn't enough to hold it. Honestly it scares me to gain that much weight! I have to eat 2390 calories a day and FML it's hard to hit that. I have a decent workout routine right now (at least I feel like it is) but I can't upload it here because the apps don't link. If anyone has the full fitness app I'm doing the muscle building program, or if anyone knows how to upload it I will.

Your supervisor doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Creatine is a highly effective supplement and has been proven more than any other supplement out there. You don't have to take it though. I am not. I am still pretty new to lifting and I won't take it until i start plateauing in my lifts. The benefits of it, is that it will allow you to push out a few more reps or a little more weight, which will indirectly support muscle growth through increased volume.

Having said that, getting down your calories, macros, and training down first is way more important. And you should understand the priority of where supplements help.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

So once you address all everything else, and start struggling with more volume, than it might be worth considering creatine monohydrate (<-- don't waste your time with anything other than monohydrate).

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1