Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Best time to drink red wine?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If I'm drinking, I try to avoid calorie dense foods before/during/immediately because of the reason posted by @ninerbuff above.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, I think the best time to drink red wine would be just before bed. That way you will have no opportunity to replenish any fluids before your morning weigh in (assuming you empty your bladder before stepping on the scales), and the scales will reward your dehydrating ways.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference when you drink it. Enjoy!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well.. wine is extra calories with little to no satiety effect so the best for weight loss would be to switch it for a zero calorie beverage such as water. That would give you a greater deficit and therefore more weight loss (assuming you kept the rest of your calorie intake constant).

There is nothing magic about red wine that helps weight loss, if that was your question.

What wine may do for your heart it does the opposite for your liver so in terms of other health benefits... not sure there are any.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It's 5 pm somewhere!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I find that it usually pairs well with dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, I think the best time to drink red wine would be just before bed. That way you will have no opportunity to replenish any fluids before your morning weigh in (assuming you empty your bladder before stepping on the scales), and the scales will reward your dehydrating ways.
    Water weight isn't real weight. And as I mentioned above, alcohol in the system inhibits fat burning. So is the concern about losing water weight or fat weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference when you drink it. Enjoy!
    Yes it does.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not ideal to drink alcohol of any type before bed. You burn the most body fat for fuel at rest and sleep is usually your longest rest time. But if you have alcohol in your system, it has to be metabolized completely before any other fuel source can be used. So having alcohol in your system would deter any fat from being burned until it's metabolized.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if I drank nothing but red wine,theoretically I'd lose weight?
    :smile:
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find anytime to be a good time to drink red wine! Usually with dinner though
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Anytime you want to and when it fits into your calorie count.

That last part is something that contributed to me gaining 20-25 pounds over the past 10 years. A couple of glasses of wine (white is my wine of choice) in addition to slight overeating sure did add up over the years. These days I am much more aware of those little bits & pieces and have cut out the wine to maintain a calorie deficit - but that's my choice for now.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    When is it not a good time?