Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Best time to drink red wine?

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    tklivory wrote: »
    Here's one source from NCBI. I found it by following back from this article I found in Google, though I don't know the reputation of the person who wrote it. He does at least reference the NCBI study at the bottom if you scroll down.

Thanks. What I got from this is that the body requires energy to transfer glucose to energy, via acetate. Alcohol is easier to convert to acetate, so it takes less energy to transform to energy, meaning you get more "miles per calorie". The presence of alcohol in the blood stream also decreases the fat digestion process. There's also the usual empty/stealthy calories argument.

I don't see anything on there about night time - does someone have a source on that?

This is a study done on 8 men. Does anyone have a more substantial study, and/or one that quantifies the effect of this on weightloss on an already calorie controlled diet? i.e. is the replicable, and is the effect only marginal or is it actually something to consider?
    You burn the most body fat at rest. Body fat is utilized exclusively for energy while you're sleeping. It's not disputed if one will burn off alcohol calories before fat calories. So if one goes to bed with alcohol in their system (not an uncommon thing), the efficiency of burning off excess body fat is disrupted because of it. Also notice, I didn't say night time. I said before bed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    marrrisa wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When is it not a good time?
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Question - so if you were to drink wine on an empty stomach/a few hours after dinner or something where wine is the only thing your body has to metabolize (its not being prioritized over anything else) would that make it less of an inhibitor in your opinion?
    Well no because it again if one is going to rest afterward, STORED BODY FAT is still the primary fuel, UNLESS there's alcohol present in the bloodstream.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Question - so if you were to drink wine on an empty stomach/a few hours after dinner or something where wine is the only thing your body has to metabolize (its not being prioritized over anything else) would that make it less of an inhibitor in your opinion?
    Well no because it again if one is going to rest afterward, STORED BODY FAT is still the primary fuel, UNLESS there's alcohol present in the bloodstream.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Okay. And what would happen if you went to sleep with a big meal in your stomach then? Would it have the same effect?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's one source from NCBI. I found it by following back from this article I found in Google, though I don't know the reputation of the person who wrote it. He does at least reference the NCBI study at the bottom if you scroll down.

Thanks. What I got from this is that the body requires energy to transfer glucose to energy, via acetate. Alcohol is easier to convert to acetate, so it takes less energy to transform to energy, meaning you get more "miles per calorie". The presence of alcohol in the blood stream also decreases the fat digestion process. There's also the usual empty/stealthy calories argument.

I don't see anything on there about night time - does someone have a source on that?

This is a study done on 8 men. Does anyone have a more substantial study, and/or one that quantifies the effect of this on weightloss on an already calorie controlled diet? i.e. is the replicable, and is the effect only marginal or is it actually something to consider?

It's not specifically that it's night time...it's that the body uses more fat as fuel when at rest or doing low intensity activity (think "fat burning HR zone") and since you're sleeping for 8 hours, that's basically 8 hours of body fat being used as fuel.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Okay. And what would happen if you went to sleep with a big meal in your stomach then? Would it have the same effect?

You wouldn't burn the calories from your big dinner or burn body fat at rest until the alcohol was metabolized...if you have alcohol in your system, all other metabolic functions are on hold until alcohol is metabolized.
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You wouldn't burn the calories from your big dinner or burn body fat at rest until the alcohol was metabolized...if you have alcohol in your system, all other metabolic functions are on hold until alcohol is metabolized.

I meant instead of drinking alcohol. Wouldn't the large meal have to metabolize first as well, so you wouldn't be burning body fat eating a large meal before dinner OR drinking wine?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I meant instead of drinking alcohol. Wouldn't the large meal have to metabolize first as well, so you wouldn't be burning body fat eating a large meal before dinner OR drinking wine?
    No because again, STORED FAT is the primary fuel of the body at rest.
    Contrary to popular belief, body fat IS NOT burned in a high percentage exercising. The primary fuel for physical movement is glycogen. And glycogen is easy to replenish in the body through simple carbs if one is depleting them.
    Also cardio IS NOT a "fat burning" protocol. It burns calories and helps to get you into deficit WHERE when you are at rest, STORED BODY FAT is used as fuel to keep the body's functions going.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Contrary to popular belief, body fat IS NOT burned in a high percentage exercising. The primary fuel for physical movement is glycogen. And glycogen is easy to replenish in the body through simple carbs if one is depleting them.
    Also cardio IS NOT a "fat burning" protocol. It burns calories and helps to get you into deficit WHERE when you are at rest, STORED BODY FAT is used as fuel to keep the body's functions going.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol ninerbuff i need you to come to my work and talk to this girl for me who wants to take some fat burner pill.. lol she wont listen to me but i just pictured you at the podium just now haha, maybe she might get her head out of the clouds.
    What I get a kick out of is when I get a new client who's normally been trying to lose weight but is finally ready to bite the bullet and get a trainer then they discuss with me what strategy or diet to do along with what supplements to take to lose weight. Then I tell them CICO with consistency and that's it.
    And the perplexed looks I get every time are priceless. Of course where they THOUGHT they were hitting it hard was in the gym.................then they get a dose of me.
    I've honestly probably saved clients more money in dispelling BS even if they had to pay for training. Cause it's not often that I don't get clients who don't get good results. And pretty much maintain them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So can I just sleep a lot and burn more body fat? Or is there a limit the body can burn?

Note I'm not going to sleep all day just curious:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Well.. wine is extra calories with little to no satiety effect so the best for weight loss would be to switch it for a zero calorie beverage such as water. That would give you a greater deficit and therefore more weight loss.

There is nothing magic about red wine that helps weight loss, if that was your question.

Satiety is very individual -- I personally find a glass of red wine very satisfying.

Anything that you skip and don't replace is going to create a larger deficit. Wine is no different from salad dressing or a bowl of soup or cream in coffee in that regard (of course, individuals may find those things more or less satisfying and that's a factor too).

If one's goal is to create a larger deficit, absolutely skip the wine. But if you have a set number of calories within a day, I find that spending 120 calories on 5 ounces of wine can be very satisfying and I know some other people feel the same way.

Good points. I guess for me I'd rather eat 240+ calories of food instead. Because the OP has said up to 2 glasses a day and a glass is rarely only 4 or 5 oz ;) But honestly, it's probably only an issue for weight loss if one's calorie goal is very low (like 1200 low) and the person is foregoing food for alcohol on a daily basis.

I always measure out exactly five ounces of wine (but I realize I would be the exception among the general population).

I agree that if someone has a very low calorie goal, having a couple of glasses of wine regularly may make it really difficult to meet nutritional needs (and feel full).
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

You burn the most body fat at rest. Body fat is utilized exclusively for energy while you're sleeping. It's not disputed if one will burn off alcohol calories before fat calories. So if one goes to bed with alcohol in their system (not an uncommon thing), the efficiency of burning off excess body fat is disrupted because of it. Also notice, I didn't say night time. I said before bed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apologies, when I said night time, I meant before bed since that's when I go to bed and therefore I associate it with bed... I don't for one minute think the solar cycle has anything to do with fat metabolism.

Your explanation makes sense, but doesn't exactly answer all of my question - could someone point me towards a study on more than 8 people that shows this effect is a significant inhibitor of weight loss in an otherwise calorie controlled diet? If it is an effect but is only minor, then I would ignore it. If it's actually a major effect then I might consider altering my habits. Likewise, if this has only shown to exist in 8 men, and not a statistically sound cross section of the general population including women, I would probably ignore this until further confirmation.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So can I just sleep a lot and burn more body fat? Or is there a limit the body can burn?

Note I'm not going to sleep all day just curious:)
    When you are rest, the primary fuel is body fat. Whether you're in calorie deficit or not. You only burn excess body fat IF you're in a calorie deficit.
    As to sleeping more, sure you can burn more body fat, but lacking any physical activity will lower your CI because your CO would be lower if you want to stay in a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apologies, when I said night time, I meant before bed since that's when I go to bed and therefore I associate it with bed... I don't for one minute think the solar cycle has anything to do with fat metabolism.

Your explanation makes sense, but doesn't exactly answer all of my question - could someone point me towards a study on more than 8 people that shows this effect is a significant inhibitor of weight loss in an otherwise calorie controlled diet? If it is an effect but is only minor, then I would ignore it. If it's actually a major effect then I might consider altering my habits. Likewise, if this has only shown to exist in 8 men, and not a statistically sound cross section of the general population including women, I would probably ignore this until further confirmation.
    Anecdotally, when I competed alcohol was a no no for competition due to the fact that when trying to lower your body fat, alcohol was known at that time to inhibit fat burning (or any other energy burning for that matter) until it was metabolized. And I did notice that when I did have alcohol in my diet, it did interfere with definition.
    As for WEIGHT LOSS, I don't believe it should deter it much. I have found that clients that seem to restrict it more, do better with weight loss. But again, that's anecdotal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Never :s
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Boland_D wrote: »
    Never :s
    Deleted this part

But, whenever. Dinner seems reasonable
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    This is entirely anecdotal. I have a glass of wine or two most nights. I'm trying to gain weight so I don't worry too much about the calories but I do log it. Recently I had to cut out alcohol for 2 weeks as I was on antibiotics. I was taking in the same amount of calories as before but I lost weight during that period. It could have been the illness,who knows,