Maintence Cal Question

Options
briannadora
briannadora Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm 5'1, 18 years old and entering maintence at 110 llbs. I lift/strengh train 5-6 days a week because i enjoy it and I'd like to eventually compete in a lifting competition one day once i get my technique alot better lol So with that being said, I clicked "very active" even though i never do cardio and MPF put me at 2180 for maintenance cals. Does that sound about right or does that seem like too much? Do I not qualify as "very active" since don't do cardio ? To the other short girls here, what are your maintence cals?

Replies

• briannadora
    briannadora Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you currently eat?

today is my first full day tracking so im not sure
  • VJ370z
    VJ370z Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very active sounds right. How many minutes/hours do you train per day?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Trial and error will be your best bet. I'm 5'2 and maintain 108-114lbs on 1800+ calories a day, but I only walk and do tons of yoga, so I use my FitBit to help me guess my burns. Because you know how much you ate to lose weight and your rate of loss, you can estimate yourself how much is needed to maintain at that activity level. From there, tweak the number as necessary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Your activity on here is nothing to do with purposeful exercise - this isn't a TDEE site.

"Very active" on here would mean you have a very physical and active job / lifestyle - irrespective if you exercise of not. That's why exercise is added separately.
    So a myfitnesspal goal is nnnn + exercise calories.

Example:
    I have a sedentary job (desk/computer) but exercise a huge amount. My setting would be sedentary.
    My son is a builder but does only a moderate amount of purposeful exercise. His setting would be active.

By the time we add our exercise our calorie allotment would be very similar.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 18 years old and entering maintence at 110 llbs. I lift/strengh train 5-6 days a week because i enjoy it and I'd like to eventually compete in a lifting competition one day once i get my technique alot better lol So with that being said, I clicked "very active" even though i never do cardio and MPF put me at 2180 for maintenance cals. Does that sound about right or does that seem like too much? Do I not qualify as "very active" since don't do cardio ? To the other short girls here, what are your maintence cals?

Generally most people on MFP track their calories burned thru exercise separate and do not include it as part of their lightly active, very active, etc. designation. Even still, lifting on its own does not burn the amount of calories appropriate to take a lightly active person and bump them up to very active.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your activity on here is nothing to do with purposeful exercise - this isn't a TDEE site.

"Very active" on here would mean you have a very physical and active job / lifestyle - irrespective if you exercise of not. That's why exercise is added separately.
    So a myfitnesspal goal is nnnn + exercise calories.

Example:
    I have a sedentary job (desk/computer) but exercise a huge amount. My setting would be sedentary.
    My son is a builder but does only a moderate amount of purposeful exercise. His setting would be active.

By the time we add our exercise our calorie allotment would be very similar.

^^^This.

What @VJ370z is telling you is incorrect. MFP's daily calorie goals are based on NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), meaning: how many calories you burn each day excluding exercise. Any exercise you do is logged separately. MFP will then give you extra calories to eat that day.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Agree with above comments.

I'm 5'2.5" and 127 pounds. I maintain at around 1700. That's with me being sedentary when I'm at work 3 days a week and lightly active at home with 4 young kids the rest of the week. I work out 5 days a week doing weight lifting and HIIT and Zumba and kickboxing, depending on the day! 2100 sounds high to me for maintenance but if you're very active in your daily life outside of exercise then it would make sense.
  • VJ370z
    VJ370z Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just saw the option on MFP (I have customized daily goals). Obviously if you sit on your *kitten* all day & workout for 1 hour you are not even close to being very active :)

OP: Start with 1700-1760 and adjust as needed.