Carbs, eat them or not?

Options
I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    I still eat them including all of those that you are thinking about cutting out. My focus is on moderation and keep it at 40% of my total calories. Not too much and not too little either.
  • michelle506
    Options
    Same here...I think balance is key. I try to stick to whole grains and other healthy carbs but I do enjoy a bagel every now and then! I try to keep my carb intake under 40% and balance each meal with an equal amount of protein. For me it's an uphill battle!
  • red0101
    red0101 Posts: 14
    Options
    i usually feel sleepy after carbs .. is this normal?
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Feeling sleepy after carbs that is me a bit, so I never eat carbs when driving long distances.
    We find we eat enough of them when eating out, so we try to limit or omit them in our home.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I've cut a lot of things like bread and pasta, but more because they're just too many calories and because protein is essential and carbs are not, rather than because carbs are evil or something.

I eat about 45-55% protein, 20-30% fat, and the rest carbs. That's an ideal day, anyway.
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    YOU BETTER NOT EAT A SINGLE CARB EVER AGAIN. THOSE BUGGERS WILL KILL YOU!!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    OP - If you are a big carb eater then you will feel dependant on them for energy, I know, I was that soldier. I was hungry all the time and snacked like crazy.

Since I made the transition to being primarily a fat/ketone burner then this need has disappeared and I now consume about 50g of carbs a day not primarily for energy but for the other stuff that is found in veggies and some fruit.

I want most of my energy to come from my liberated fat stores and not from diet. This makes sense to me given the name of the game is to lose fat.

Some carbohydrate intake also provides some glucose that the brain needs, otherwise my liver would have to generate it. Nothing wrong with that but if I can provide it in dietary form then that's OK too. Zero carb diets make no sense at all, obviously.

I don't snack, I'm not hungry all the time, I don't crave sweets, I don't even exercise much (a bit of walking, a few push ups here and there) and still the fat comes off.

It works for me where a more 'balanced' approach didn't on the same calories as my first few months on MFP will show.

65% Fat intake too. Eat fat, lose fat, whodathunkit?

So, in short, yes, eat them. :)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    OP - If you are a big carb eater then you will feel dependant on them for energy, I know, I was that soldier. I was hungry all the time and snacked like crazy.

Since I made the transition to being primarily a fat/ketone burner then this need has disappeared and I now consume about 50g of carbs a day not primarily for energy but for the other stuff that is found in veggies and some fruit.

I want most of my energy to come from my liberated fat stores and not from diet. This makes sense to me given the name of the game is to lose fat.

Some carbohydrate intake also provides some glucose that the brain needs, otherwise my liver would have to generate it. Nothing wrong with that but if I can provide it in dietary form then that's OK too. Zero carb diets make no sense at all, obviously.

I don't snack, I'm not hungry all the time, I don't crave sweets, I don't even exercise much (a bit of walking, a few push ups here and there) and still the fat comes off.

It works for me where a more 'balanced' approach didn't on the same calories as my first few months on MFP will show.

65% Fat intake too. Eat fat, lose fat, whodathunkit?

So, in short, yes, eat them. :)

What he says. I also maintain a 60% fat ratio (and 15% carb, 25% protein) and fat keeps coming off. The only carbs I get are from unprocessed food, ie: veggies and fruits. I don't eat any grains of any kind, unless I'm cheating. I get plenty from the vegs and fruits, no reason to seek out any more because I don't crave them, don't feel hunger, etc. Basically, being glucose-fueled is different from being fat-fueled. With fats and moderate protein, you just don't have those cravings any more. And if you'd told me that a year ago, I would have called you a liar. I had the BIGGEST SWEET TOOTH you can imagine. Now, it's gone.
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so its hard to find entrees that's /aren't/ carb filled (seriously, they're all pastas!) mostly because they are filling.

I don't pay too much attention to carbs, and I've been told by a couple people you don't have to unless you are diabetic. The reason many fad diets call for low carb is because once your body burns through all of your carbs it will go to the next energy source: fat. But you'll end up feeling like crap because they don't burn the same.

"Low carb diets are very effective in losing fat fast which is why they have been so popular in the past – people use these all the time to get ready for high school reunions and weddings. So why don’t I recommend them? First, the poor long term results speak for themselves. 89% of people who lost weight with low carb diets have gained it back within 18 months. Second low carb diets are very unhealthy, the human body is not build for low carb nutrition and it causes an array of nasty health issues. Its about as healthy as feeding a cow hamburgers" - http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Eat them. If you stop eating them, it will only be temporary. Then, unfortunately, when you start eating them again you will likely have a big spike on the scale, get discouraged and quit.

Just eat in moderation; within your calories. Don't cut out any particular food group.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein & fats as priority and then fill the rest of you're cals with carbs.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    If you currently eat carbs and aren't constantly farting all day or in a state of pain or bloating then you can continue to eat carbs. Congratulations.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If you currently eat carbs and aren't constantly farting all day or in a state of pain or bloating then you can continue to eat carbs. Congratulations.

that made me laugh out loud. but not fart. carbs don't make me fart.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    do you want an honest answer?
    don't eat them.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    do you want an honest answer?
    don't eat them.

so which one was it for you? the farting or the pain/bloating?
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    should a person be eating any saturated fat at all?
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bread and pasta for now. I'll add them back in moderation once I've lost the weight I want to and am just trying to maintain. I get most of my carbs from brown rice, potatoes, fruits, veggies, beans and oatmeal.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Don't eat carbs. Don't eat protein. Don't eat vegetables or fruits. Just stop eating. And while you're at it, cut out water from your diet too.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Carbs are good for you and so are many other things. The key is to not over-do it!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Eat them. If you stop eating them, it will only be temporary. Then, unfortunately, when you start eating them again you will likely have a big spike on the scale, get discouraged and quit.

Just eat in moderation; within your calories. Don't cut out any particular food group.

Pure genious.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    should a person be eating any saturated fat at all?

Sure, no worries there. It's synthetic trans fats you should avoid. It is perhaps the one single food item that should actually be avoided.