Carbs, eat them or not?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    i usually feel sleepy after carbs .. is this normal?

Check out the GI "diet". Then you'll understand carbs and make better choices over what you eat.
  • omgfugly
    Options
    I was a Carb eater aswell. thu school i ate almost only carbs and i put on alot of weight. now im mid twenties and i have type 2 diabeties. I have to have an almost 0 carb diet with medication to maintain normal blood sugar levels. suger has ruined my health.

i would sergest, eat some for the energy you need, but dont over do it, have a bowel of pasta, for lunch, but instead of having, pasta for dinner aswell ( my bad!) have a low carb meal, like omelette (sorry i cant spell)
  • eg_norski
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of carbs you are talking about: complex or simple? If you eat primarily bread, pasta, white rice, crackers, pastries, etc, then you aren't really getting anything from them other than instant gratification. The carbs you get from beans, certain veggies and whole grains are going to be beneficial to you and help you to feel full and satisfied. I have cut out all breads, pasta, crackers, white potatoes and corn. When I don't fill myself with these carbs, I am forced to make better choices of lower calorie/higher nutrient-content foods. If you can get through the 2-3 week of headaches and general feeling of the "blahs", you'll eventually see that they aren't that necessary for energy. The carbs that you need for energy and better function are naturally contained in other foods...
  • jez26
    jez26 Posts: 13
    Options
    I lost over 25kgs from a low carb diet just over a year ago and haven't gained it all back, I think moderation is the key.
    If you are eating them try to choose a healthier option like whole grain breads, pastas or basmati rice and be careful about serving size, about 1/2 cup of cooked rice is a serve.

I still try not to include too many in my daily eating, I have found lots of low carb/healthy alternatives for pasta like zucchini ribbons or steamed cabbage similar texture a lot less calories and better for you. Or cauliflower rice.

I like Helgas sandwich thins if you are feeling like bread too.

Everyone is different but I have found weightloss is a whole lot easier if you are eating low carb.

And if I am going out to dinner I still enjoy them ;)

Jess :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

I took off most of my weight by limiting carb intake. Having said that I would give this general recommendation:

1. The percentage carbs isn't nearly as important as the total number - especially if you are doing physical activity.
    2. Even the Harvard School of Public Health recommends limiting carbs, especially simple carbs (outlined below).
    3. If your kidney function is normal, then lower carbs and increase protein - diets up to 20 percent - (I know I just said the percentage wasn't as important) protein have been well studied. Studies on diets of up to 40 percent protein are underway and thus far there seem to be little ill effects if you have normal kidney function and are not diabetic.
    4. It is sustainable...I did it...I cut out breads, pasta, etc. I didn't cut them out 100 percent..but when I did eat them I made sure they were very nutritious substitues (ie Ole Extreme Wellness Wraps) 12 grams fiber, 8 protein, 4 net carbs.

So why on earth should you do this? Why cut the carbs?

Quickly: According to the Harvard School of Public Health

"In the 1960s, fats and oils supplied Americans with about 45 percent of calories; (1) about 13 percent of adults were obese and under 1 percent had type 2 diabetes, a serious weight-related condition. (2,3) Today, Americans take in less fat, getting about 33 percent of calories from fats and oils; (4) yet 34 percent of adults are obese and 11 percent have diabetes, most with type 2 diabetes. (5,6)"

So while cutting out 12 percent of our fat, we got 20 percent heavier. Why?

"Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease. What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15) Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases. Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body."

If you want the rest of the story (about fats and carbs) see the link below:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/#Intro

To simplify the story quickly - carbs are converted to sugar which initially is converted to glycogen to replace stores that empty so that energy is always available. High sugar causes insulin spikes which can result in diabetes. In addition, when carbs are not needed in great demand - ie not exercising over 45 min - and high amounts are taken in - the excess carbs get converted in the liver to Triglycerides and Fat. They raise LDL (bad Cholesterol) as well. Carbohydrates are also felt to be "proinflammatory" leading to the development of hardening of the artery walls.

Bottom line: Excess Carbs become bad. How much is enough for you? You might have to ask a dietician. When exercising it's generally recommended that if you exercise over 1 hour you take some in. It's not weight based and this is to maximize performance. You'll fatigue early other wise. Not a big deal unless you really are training for something or want to go longer.

Hit me up if you need more info:

Recommendations would be cut cals and the fats you eat should be heart healthy fats - as much as possible. Cutting carbs back to 45 percent is reasonable. I average approximately 35 percent carbs, 30 percent fat, 35 percent protein.

A lot of this is off base. We don't eat less fat nowadays then we did in the 60's. The percentage went down. The actual amount hasn't changed. The fact is, Americans eat about 600 calories a day more now than we did in the 60's. We've actually increased protein consumption the most in the last 50 years.

As for carbs turning into sugar and fat, well, you'd need to eat several hundred grams of carbs a day for that to happen, as the human body is constantly replenishing glycogen stores, and stores about 1350 grams of glycogen when full. Fat, on the other hand, is sent directly to body fat tissue for storage until needed. This is also why people on low carb diets think they burn more fat, it's a combination of losing a lot of water weight due to reduction in glycogen storage (it takes about 9 pounds of water to store a full load of glycogen, cut carbs, glycogen goes down, poof, you just lost 12 pounds of glycogen and water, not fat,) and the fact that low carb diets are much higher in dietary fat (of course you burn more fat if you eat more fat, what do you think happens to all that fat you eat?)

Also, carbs and insulin do not cause diabetes. Insulin dysfunctions are a symptom of diabetes, saying insulin causes it is like saying a runny nose causes your cold, when in reality the cold causes the runny nose. Excess free fatty acids in the blood stream are actually one of the causes of diabetes, and excess fatty acids in the blood stream are due to people being overweight, not due to eating carbs.
  • megmgs
    megmgs Posts: 1
    Options
    Feeling intensely and suddenly sleepy is mentioned in allergy articles as a sign of sensitivity. It happens to me sometimes, with a horrible "drugged" and "mind-all-woolly" effect too on the worst occasions which can last for 12 hours. If that happens, I avoid the culprits for a while (or altogether) - typically white bread, semolina etc - also as a rule, don't eat them on an empty stomach or over-indulge despite the temptations of that freshly baked bread aroma!

Since being on Diet Chef meals for the past couple of months, supplemented by lots of salad and veggies, I find that I am largely avoiding bread, and the weight is rolling off nicely. I find it better to get carbs from potatoes, rice etc, and not too many grains. Although I am not coeliac, I feel more comfortable if I try not to eat too much gluten containing products in a day.

I don't believe in avoiding carbs altogether - it's unnatural!! I generally stick close to the recommended proportions in the Myfitnesspal daily foodtracker - for me it's been a fantastic tool!

I also know people who swear by the Dr Sears Zone (40:30:30) diet, i.e. 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent healthy fats (omega 3's, polyunsaturateds, olive oils etc)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low carber, but I try to be aware of the quality of the carbs that go in my body. I also will keep them a little lower than my goal on non exercise days. I like whole grains and my bread is usually the sprouted kind.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    89% of people who lost weight with low carb diets have gained it back within 18 months.

This is true if you're doing low carb to only quickly lose weight and plan to return to your old eating habits. I could use the same quote (with appropriate statistics edited) for MFP.

"Approximately percent% of people who lost weight with MFP and have stopped logging have gained it back in ## months"

The point is, don't treat a low carb diet (or any lifestyle change) as a fad diet. If you are making a DIETARY change, it'll stick.

Also, I'm eating MUCH healthier than I ever have. How is getting all of my carbs from veggies and some fruits unhealthy? Surely we process those more efficiently than breads, pastas, and sweets. The only unhealthy thing about low carb are the frankenfood products that marketed to replace old favorite foods from your old lifestyle. Seriously... anything with Atkin's name on it is so bad for you!

I guess my point is, plain old MFP doesn't work for anyone who can't find their own customization of protein/carb/fat ratios. Luckily, for most of you guys, the default settings work. Some people like more protein, some want less fats, so customizing these ratios to fit your needs is totally between you and your doctor. I follow MFP's calorie guideline! I just set my macros differently. And it works for me :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.
    Everyone is different and just because something may work really well for one person, it doesn't mean it will for everyone else too. You said you don't know if it would be sustainable, you've basically just answered the question yourself. I personally would much rather change my lifestyle and eat what I enjoy in moderation, knowing I will lose weight, just at a slow, steady pace than go on a diet, lose lots of weight in most likely a short amount of time, resume my old eating habits, gain the weight back and then some, only to start the process all over again. Just my take on it though, good luck:) xxx
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My Dr. put me on a low carb diet due to medical issues (pre diabetes, etc). I mean LOW carbs - 50 NET per day. I can tell you that before this, I was not only NOT losing weight, even with diet (WW) and exercise but I was gaining weight. I cut out all starchy, carb heavy foods - sugar (the main one), flour, rice, pasta, bread, etc. The carbs I eat come from fruits and veggies and a few whole grains here and there. I feel so much better - I have more energy, less aches and pains, my digestion and GI system is working better. I have been doing this since Feb. of this year and managed to lose 35 lbs so far. The weight loss is slow and steady but that's good. If I stall out, I drop my carbs and up my calories and then switch back about 2 - 3 weeks later. I do eat low carb, high fiber tortillas and wraps but that's the only "bread" type product I eat.
    I think if you feel healthy and your meal plan is working out for you and you are getting the results you want, then why change it? If you can eat carbs and still lose weight, be healthy, etc. then go for it! I would DEFINITELY be eating them if I could!!!

this pretty much mirrors my story...or at least part of my story. 8 years ago I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and prescribed a 50g net diet for 2 months before they gave me medication. In that 2 months I lost like 17lbs AND got pregnant...and reversed my IR. Even after having the baby, several tests showed no evidence of IR even though I was NOT eating low carb anymore.

The baby is now almost 7 and due to other factors ( such as medicating my stress and depression with Hershey's and Godiva) I gained about 65lbs.

In February I joined a gym ( 90 minutes 3-5 times a week) and watched my diet--I even did an advocare 24 day challenge--and only lost 7 pounds in 3 MONTHS. In May I decided to lower my carbs ( only down to 100g net) on a trial basis for 2 weeks and see what happened. I lost 5.8lbs during that time, so I kept going. I cut my workouts down to 60 minutes 3-4x a week. In the almost 4 months that I have been eating lower carb, I have lost 21lbs.

Next Tuesday I have a doctor's appointment, and they will probably do blood work. It will be interesting to see what my insulin levels look like.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Surely we process those more efficiently than breads, pastas, and sweets.

No, we actually don't. The human body has no trouble digesting breads, pastas, or sweets. The digestive system is filled with many specialized enzymes and bacteria to digest various food types. More complex carbs like breads and pastas may take longer to break down than fruit, but that doesn't make it less efficient, in fact, complex carbs like starches in bread and pasta are better, longer lasting energy sources than fruits or vegetables. That's why humans have been living off of bread and pasta for thousands of years.
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mine in the morning, and then by dinner it's all protein and veggies/fruits.

As far as the bloated/gassy from carbs, I get that very bad when trying to drink sodas or anything high in sugar :( But still sneak a little here and there on weekends..but usually only one or two bites/sips, ..HEHE don't want to deprive and then binge on the stuff, so I have a little when I want it and move along with my day.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Surely we process those more efficiently than breads, pastas, and sweets.

No, we actually don't. The human body has no trouble digesting breads, pastas, or sweets. The digestive system is filled with many specialized enzymes and bacteria to digest various food types. More complex carbs like breads and pastas may take longer to break down than fruit, but that doesn't make it less efficient, in fact, complex carbs like starches in bread and pasta are better, longer lasting energy sources than fruits or vegetables. That's why humans have been living off of bread and pasta for thousands of years.

You're right. I just re-read my go-to keto sources. My bad! Our body does prefer to use glycogen stores since it's WAY easier to use for energy than our fat stores. I forgot that's why the first few weeks of keto were so hard for me.

Thanks for correcting me! I'm just staring to get into the science behind low carb, and I do not want to spread misinformation.

:drinker:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you are a carb eater it is unrealistic to cut them out completely. Just find lower carb options for the things you love.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat 'em! Unless recommended by your doctor that you stay away, I believe everyone needs carbs. They're energy, man!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Eat them. If you stop eating them, it will only be temporary. Then, unfortunately, when you start eating them again you will likely have a big spike on the scale, get discouraged and quit.

Just eat in moderation; within your calories. Don't cut out any particular food group.

This. Happened to me last year and sucked. I lose a lot slower than I used to, with "eating carbs"---I don't try for a ratio or anything...But I do lose, and it's been more likely (so far) to stay off.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Love them. Easily 50% of my caloric intake each day comes from carbs. Im doing just fine.
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in need of some help, I am going to eat a half Deli Express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without wheat bread....

The nutritional information includes the wheat bread...should i make my own listing of deli express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without the bread??

Calories 250
    Sodium 1270 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 1 g
    Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 40 mg
    Vitamin A 4%
    Calcium 15%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Iron 10%
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Eat them all! Rawr!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am in need of some help, I am going to eat a half Deli Express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without wheat bread....

The nutritional information includes the wheat bread...should i make my own listing of deli express cured dark turkey and substitute cheddar cheese without the bread??

Calories 250
    Sodium 1270 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 1 g
    Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 40 mg
    Vitamin A 4%
    Calcium 15%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Iron 10%
    Why not log the ingredients separately? Like, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheddar, 3 slices tomato, 1 tbsp mayo or whatever is on there. To me that's easier than modifying an entry that includes something you're not having.