Little to no carbs

Options
kkriisii
kkriisii Posts: 4 Member
I'm really wanting to eat better and I have a problem when it comes to carbs. My bf and I like pastas and whatnot but need to change that. Anyone have any good recipes that don't include many/any carbs? We dont want to eat salad all the time like we did in thr past. Please help. :)

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to avoid carbs? Are you pre-diabetic/diabetic?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Join the LCD group, where most of the low carbers hang out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Protein and green leafy vegetables (which have carbs, but not "many").
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    zoodles!
  • kkriisii
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • kkriisii
    Options
    Just trying to not eat so many carbs. I eat a lot I feel like and I feel sluggish when I do, but I like them haha. My family has history of diabetes so I'm trying to stay healthy and active, just been unmotivated to cook healthy/work out lately.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Bulk out your meals with some roasted veggies (and have a small helping of pasta instead of filling the plate with a large pile of calorie-dense pasta). You can just toss some frozen veggies from a bag onto a cooking sheet, drizzle with a bit of oil, maybe sprinkle some parmesan, some onions (I keep a bag of chopped onions in the freezer), some seasonings.. toss in oven (~375°ish for ~30 minutes or so).
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Increase protein: meat, fish, chicken, nuts, beans, eggs, some dairy. When you do eat carbs, make them whole wheat. I like the taste of whole wheat pasta and make homemade sauce that doesn't add sugar. I also add veggies, like zucchini, peppers, to the sauce. Salmon is easy to bake. I put dill weed, a tiny bit of mayo/honey mustard on top and bake at 400 about 15 - 20 minutes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kkriisii wrote: »
    Just trying to not eat so many carbs. I eat a lot I feel like and I feel sluggish when I do, but I like them haha. My family has history of diabetes so I'm trying to stay healthy and active, just been unmotivated to cook healthy/work out lately.

If you aren't motivated to cook healthy, if you are sick of salads.....then perhaps a low carb approach isn't a good match for you. You don't want temporary changes......that's not going to help long term.

Maybe moderate carbs instead. Carbs are the side-dish......not the main dish. Fried rice....use some rice, but sub in riced cauliflower too (sold in the frozen food section). Mac-n Cheese, half veggie half pasta. Spaghetti - pasta & spiralized zucchini.
  • ajsmith1974
    ajsmith1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Great Low Carb Bread Company makes great low carb pasta and pretty good bread and buns and I've tether all the last 15 years. If it's only the two of you cost would be ok. For a big family it would stink. They sell it and a lot of other low carb stuff in Netrition.com and they have flat rate shipping. Trader Joe's has a great low carb wrap if that store is near you. I use quest protein powder, 2 tbs of dat free cream cheese and two servings of liquid egg whites blended to make pancakes. Really good and filled.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    kkriisii wrote: »
    That's likely from the type of carbs you are eating, likely the more heavily processed carbs like pastas, cakes, cookies, bread etc. Stick to the more natural carbs in fruits and vegetables, whole grains etc. More filling, less calories, much better overall nuritionally.

• debbieclaborn
    debbieclaborn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make lasagna & spaghetti using zucchini as the pasta. My family loved it.
  • ceajs
    ceajs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add anything you want to spaghetti (angel hair then spaghetti or linguine ) using olive oil and garlic add broccoli or Cauliflower or anchovies or shrimp make it cold or hot if you read on the Internet it says eat your leftover spaghetti cold less carbs
    The problem I have is I love spaghetti taste so good But I too much of it so I try to put it in a small bowl and control my portion
    I could never give up on my spaghetti dishes
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pork chops and collard greens sautéed in olive and garlic
    Shrimp stir fried with broccoli and onions
    Pan seared salmon and roasted brussel sprouts
    Steak with mushrooms and wilted spinach with bacon
    chicken marsala over spaghetti squash
    chili
    chicken vegetable soup
    crab legs and roasted baby bok choy drizzled with sesame oil
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I make a very good low-ish carb chili... basically it is a mixture of meats and sometimes some tomatoes or onions in small quantities.

Cook all the meats separately - ground beef, ground sausage, bacon (cook it in a baking pan in the oven so it doesn't get crispy and retains most of the fat - then cut into smaller pieces before putting with ground meats). Put everything together, add plenty of spices and possibly some jalapenos + whatever other veggies you are going to use (tomatoes, onions, zhuchini). If you need to add some water, do that (probably won't) or add broth. Now cook the entire batch of everything together.

For a quick snack, put some pepperoni slices on a plate, top with shredded cheese and microwave for 30 seconds.

For a low-er carb pizza, get some low carb tortillas (I can find them with 5g net carbs for a 6" tortilla). I'll get diced tomatoes and blend because tomato sauce and tomato paste always seems to have added sugar. So put the tomato sauce on the shell, add shredded cheese, then add low carb toppings. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10-12 min. If you want, you can cut the tomato mixture a bit further with olive oil, but be careful not to make it too thin and runny. This could decrease carbs a bit further and replace with fat.

• KetoKris
    KetoKris Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bad= Beans, pasta, milk, corn, bread, any unnatural peanut butter, just about any fruit except avocado, any form of sugar including honey. Also check labels of any condiments. Salad dressing , ketchup and bbq sauce are loaded with suger.