Little to no carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85
    By saying that our doctor/nutritionist pounded simple vs complex carbs into our heads I don't mean that that is all she covered. Everything you discussed she covered with us but what I am learning from you and @psuLemon is that the way it was presented to us was all very simplified, most likely because I was 6. And I have taken the explanations created for a six year old and lived by them which I am seeing now is an over simplification. However, despite that, I will say that because I understand what you and psuLemon have pointed out, I eat a high protein diet. I posted on this thread to share high protein recipes with the original poster because I agree that high protein is the way to go. My diet does include a balanced proportion of complex carbs, partially because of the over simplified explanations I received from our family doctor when my brother was diagnosed type 1, but also because every doctor I have had EVER had had suggested that and by following their advise I am at a healthy weight, healthy body fat percentage, just healthy all the way around. However, like I told psuLemon I am always open to improvements and would love to take some advise for my personal diet plan. What I was explaining to him is that I find that if I keep my protein too high and have no complex carbs giving me that slow sustaining sugar throughout the day, I crash and end up slightly hypo. And when I'm hypo I'm cranky and not very productive. What would you suggest?

You are hypoglycemic, not a type 1 and not taking insulin? Do you test your BG when you feel hypoglycemic? If yes, at what point are you feeling that way?

This should be a new thread.

My 2 cents is that you should first verify that it is, in fact, hypoglycemia that is the issue. If yes, then your options are to either improve your capability to access non-glucose energy forms or to continue to eat carbohydrates, but be careful on quantity and pair them with mostly fat rather than protein. But for this question, start a new thread. you can tag me in that thread if you would like.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can find lots of low carb recipes on Pinterest.
    I have enjoyed several recipes from http://www.kalynskitchen.com
    You can try things like zoodles, stuffed zucchini, mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice.
    I would say focus on meeting your calorie goal and protein goal. Eat several servings on vegetables or fruits a day. Your carb intake will be more moderate if you are doing this.
  • SageParsons1991
    SageParsons1991 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Since I took up half your thread with a side note, I wanted to share some more recipes:

http://www.primaverakitchen.com/asparagus-sweet-potato-chicken-skillet/

This one I had to adjust slightly to keep the sodium from getting too high, but you can determine if that is necessary for you. I used chicken sausage and cut the canned tomatoes. https://hurstbeanblog.com/2009/02/19/cajun-15-bean-soup-w-smoked-turkey-sausage/amp/

I replace buns with these from time to time:
    https://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/recipes/cloud-bread-recipe?code=SOCIAL_BLOG_PI

http://foodlove.com/crispy-black-bean-tacos-with-avocado-lime-dipping-sauce/

I have found so many great low carb recipes on Pinterest. It has been a great tool for me :smile:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You can find lots of low carb recipes on Pinterest.
    I have enjoyed several recipes from http://www.kalynskitchen.com
    You can try things like zoodles, stuffed zucchini, mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice.
    I would say focus on meeting your calorie goal and protein goal. Eat several servings on vegetables or fruits a day. Your carb intake will be more moderate if you are doing this.

I forgot about Cauliflower rice! I love it. I just pulse it in a food processor and then saute with a tiny bit of oil in a no stick pan. It is a reasonable replacement. Makes great fried rice. It of course is less starchy so keep that in mind.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @midwesterner85
    By saying that our doctor/nutritionist pounded simple vs complex carbs into our heads I don't mean that that is all she covered. Everything you discussed she covered with us but what I am learning from you and @psuLemon is that the way it was presented to us was all very simplified, most likely because I was 6. And I have taken the explanations created for a six year old and lived by them which I am seeing now is an over simplification. However, despite that, I will say that because I understand what you and psuLemon have pointed out, I eat a high protein diet. I posted on this thread to share high protein recipes with the original poster because I agree that high protein is the way to go. My diet does include a balanced proportion of complex carbs, partially because of the over simplified explanations I received from our family doctor when my brother was diagnosed type 1, but also because every doctor I have had EVER had had suggested that and by following their advise I am at a healthy weight, healthy body fat percentage, just healthy all the way around. However, like I told psuLemon I am always open to improvements and would love to take some advise for my personal diet plan. What I was explaining to him is that I find that if I keep my protein too high and have no complex carbs giving me that slow sustaining sugar throughout the day, I crash and end up slightly hypo. And when I'm hypo I'm cranky and not very productive. What would you suggest?

I tend to get a lot of my protein recipes from www.theproteinchef.co

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh every time someone says they want to eat low carb, all the carb lovers jump on them "WHAT DO YOU MEAN LOW CARB, CARBS ARE GOOD FOR YOU". After 4 years of low carb, I'd have to disagree. The only thing eating carbs is good for is making you want to eat more carbs.

oxnhod7ungou.jpg
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It makes me laugh every time someone says they want to eat low carb, all the carb lovers jump on them "WHAT DO YOU MEAN LOW CARB, CARBS ARE GOOD FOR YOU". After 4 years of low carb, I'd have to disagree. The only thing eating carbs is good for is making you want to eat more carbs.

oxnhod7ungou.jpg
    99rhrdl1sbtq.gifI don't hate you but I'd rather have some of these!! :D

@EbonyDahlia I agree... for myself the more simple (non-nutritional type 'junk food') carbs I eat the more simple carbs I crave... it's a vicious cycle. That's why I gave the pancakes to the cat! :laugh:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

:+1: thanks everyone for the links shared! :smiley:

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Zoodles and spaghetti squash are good subs for noodles. Add some turkey meatballs and marinara - bam!
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ceajs wrote: »
    Add anything you want to spaghetti (angel hair then spaghetti or linguine ) using olive oil and garlic add broccoli or Cauliflower or anchovies or shrimp make it cold or hot if you read on the Internet it says eat your leftover spaghetti cold less carbs
    The problem I have is I love spaghetti taste so good But I too much of it so I try to put it in a small bowl and control my portion
    I could never give up on my spaghetti dishes

Find nonoodles. They r amazing the spaghetti version is great with meat sauce. If you can't find them find konjac noodles same thing. It's made from glucoman fiber 25 calories for a large box of noodles I swear by them!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Anyway ... http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863 try this. Even my non-low carb hubby loves it.

No. It isn't. Lol
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    OP you're right to cut pasta, rice etc ...it really isn't food at all.
    What in the heck is this supposed to mean? How are they not foods? Don't tell me that they don't satiate, because they do for some.

• cerise_noir
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Kris03451 wrote: »
    Bad= Beans, pasta, milk, corn, bread, any unnatural peanut butter, just about any fruit except avocado, any form of sugar including honey. Also check labels of any condiments. Salad dressing , ketchup and bbq sauce are loaded with suger.

Why are the foods on your "bad" list bad? Have they been naughty? Or are you trying to put down vegetarians and vegans by saying they're BAD?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think most people trying to cut all carbs are thinking of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Little do they realize by trying to cut all carbs they are also including all beans and vegetables.

Much more sustainable is to reduce starchy carbs by about a quarter of the habitual amount, and gradually increase the fibrous carbs.

Also, people tend to go right to "salad" when trying to increase their veggies. Not realizing that the restaurant version can be very high calorie with the addition of fatty dressings, nuts cheese and dried fruit.

How about adding more substantial veggies to a dinner like peas, carrots, squash of any kind, the wide variety of root vegetables, or something exotic like Chinese cabbage, kohlrabi, or okra?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    OP you're right to cut pasta, rice etc ...it really isn't food at all.
    What in the heck is this supposed to mean? How are they not foods? Don't tell me that they don't satiate, because they do for some.

Read like sarcasm to me
  • candeeroze
    candeeroze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to diet doctor.com

I have just started this diet and so far it's amazing
  • KetoKris
    KetoKris Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Kris03451 wrote: »
    Bad= Beans, pasta, milk, corn, bread, any unnatural peanut butter, just about any fruit except avocado, any form of sugar including honey. Also check labels of any condiments. Salad dressing , ketchup and bbq sauce are loaded with suger.

Why are the foods on your "bad" list bad? Have they been naughty? Or are you trying to put down vegetarians and vegans by saying they're BAD?

In case you weren't paying attention. The title of this discussion is, "little to no carbs" The foods I listed as, "bad" are high in carbs! I'm not trying to put down anybody!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Anyway ... http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863 try this. Even my non-low carb hubby loves it.

No. It isn't. Lol

Pretty sure you just proved my point.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As far as salad goes, when you make it rethink the traditional romaine lettuce with carrots and a bit of croutons approach.

Try getting some store-made bagged salads for ideas (you can always toss out the possibly high sugar dressing in favor of your own vinaigrette). I've discovered certain seeds/nuts are great in salad as well as slivered Brussels sprouts.

These, along with baby spinach, kale, radicchio and other more "exotic" greens will help eliminate the ho-hum factor with salads. A great dressing (good low-carb options exist) also makes a big difference,.