Chocolate fan trying to lose weight

Options
I love chocolate , ever since being pregnant I have craved chocolate it's probably in my head but I need some help with some alternatives that give me that fix! Fruit doesn't quite cut it! Any tips? :|

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate covered coffee beans. At 8-10 cal each just 2 or 3 is a satisfying treat to me.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I never could give up chocolate. What I did was switch to dark chocolate, which I like anyway. I buy the extra large bars at Wal-Mart of Hershey's Special Dark. The bars are huge, and 3 blocks of it (which is equivalent of likely a normal size candy bar) is only 170 calories. Generally I'll chop it up and sprinkle it on low calorie no sugar added Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Ice Cream (vanilla is 80 cal per 1/2 cup). So for barely over 300 calories I can have a chocolaty ice cream snack that fixes that craving right up. Catch, of course, is that you need to have the calories for it. If you're trying to diet without exercise you likely aren't going to have it. So that's why I always adopted an exercise routine that was challenging but one that I could keep up long term (as in the rest of my life if possible).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. They come individually wrapped (about 70 calories). I plan for one of these just about every day.

No Sugar Added Fudgsicles......only 40 calories

Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice tea. Add some milk and a teaspoon of sugar, yum.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want chocolate, eat chocolate. If you feel that you don't want chocolate, but can't stop thinking about it, investigate if something is going on. Have you been trying to restrict too much? Do you think chocolate is bad for you?
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate--has less sugar and more protein, and even has iron in it. I eat it everyday, at least 200 calories worth! I just fit it into my 1500 calorie limit, and still losing weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate--has less sugar and more protein, and even has iron in it. I eat it everyday, at least 200 calories worth! I just fit it into my 1500 calorie limit, and still losing weight.

My motto is there's always room for chocolate, especially dark chocolate!
  • myszka0611
    myszka0611 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Have you tried avocado chocolate pudding? *2 large avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed *1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder *1/2 cup brown sugar *1/3 cup milk *2 teaspoons vanilla extract *pinch of ground cinnamon (I also add about a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules for a richer flavor). Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, chill for a bit, enjoy guilt-free chocolate pudding. Seriously tastes JUST LIKE "regular" chocolate pudding, no avocado taste at all
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just don't eat it as often and when you do make sure it is quality dark chocolate without any butyric acid.

If you are not meeting your dietary goals then restrict it more.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Work it into your calorie goal. Moderation, not deprivation.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    My tip is to eat chocolate.
    Log chocolate.
    Or vice versa. :)

Seriously, no need to give it up if you can fit it into your calorie goal or if you love it so much that you take one bite and the next thing you know is you're waking up and look like Augustus Gloop after having fallen into the chocolate river.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Chocolate overnight oats are like eating dessert for breakfast. I love it.
    I use this recipe, and sweeten with stevia rather than syrup/sugar.
    http://wholefully.com/2016/03/07/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/?m

Sweet potato chocolate pudding is also actually delicious:
    http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/sweet-potato-chocolate-pudding/

And yes, I totally eat dark chocolate on the regular.
  • MISSYLOU143
    MISSYLOU143 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try a delicious chocolate protein shake that's what I did I LOVE chocolate it's my weakness! All together 190 calories! And u feel full after u drink it.
    yiqpcrg3j02u.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with those that say "just eat chocolate but count it towards you calories".
    myszka0611 wrote: »
    Have you tried avocado chocolate pudding? *2 large avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed *1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder *1/2 cup brown sugar *1/3 cup milk *2 teaspoons vanilla extract *pinch of ground cinnamon (I also add about a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules for a richer flavor). Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, chill for a bit, enjoy guilt-free chocolate pudding. Seriously tastes JUST LIKE "regular" chocolate pudding, no avocado taste at all

This has far more calories than the chocolate itself! The only good thing about this is the fibre.
  • feefee84
    feefee84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanku all for your replies, really helpful. If I add a choc to my calorie intake will I still lose weight? I know they are full of sugar and saturated fats. :|
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    myszka0611 wrote: »

Curious what makes this "guilt free" as opposed to regular chocolate pudding, which doesn't cause me guilt at all. This actually sounds pretty calorie dense - avocado can really be a calorie bomb and is this for a single serving of pudding? So what makes this better than say, a single serve jello chocolate pudding (regular or sugar free)?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    feefee84 wrote: »
    Thanku all for your replies, really helpful. If I add a choc to my calorie intake will I still lose weight? I know they are full of sugar and saturated fats. :|

If you are within your calorie goal - yes.

Weight loss is about calories. If your body requires 2000 calories in fuel each day and you eat 1500 - that's a 500 calorie deficit. That's not to say a diet high in added sugar & saturated fat is healthy. But all things in moderation. Eat more good stuff....but find a balance. We don't have to eat perfectly.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. You have a calorie target set up on MFP based on your stats and a rate of loss that you selected when you set up your profile, right? What are those stats, what is your goal, and what calorie target did MFP provide? When you log your foods, put in the chocolate treat you desire, and see how that fits into your overall day. Then you can determine if you can eat that treat every day, or if you need to make it a special occasion splurge. You can determine if there are other foods you want to cut out to make room for that food (like maybe a smaller serving of cereal or trade a sugary soda for a piece of chocolate or something like that). That's the beauty of logging through MFP, you can really play with the numbers and figure out how to make the foods you love work into an overall balanced diet.

You can absolutely lose weight while eating chocolate. I'd venture to say that most of us here do include chocolate in our regular diets - I ate a Lindt truffle today (73 cals) and am having homemade ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce tonight. I'm in maintenance, but even when losing I regularly ate a serving of gelato, or a couple of oreos in the evenings. I eat some sort of chocolate most afternoons at work.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

As others have stated, chocolate is just another type of food. I have at least one piece of chocolate, usually dark, at least once a day. Right now I am eating a dark chocolate that is expensive, IMO that I bought from HSN. I am looking at other alternatives that are less expensive. Also that dark chocolate that I eat is only 26 calories for a square and I eat 2 a day.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

Dark chocolate generally has less sugar than milk chocolate. I don't pay attention to fat much, saturated or not (I do avoid trans- fats, though). The actual content of the food you eat won't affect weight loss, anyway--it's the number of calories you eat/burn that counts! As long as it fits within your calorie goal, you could eat spoonfuls of sugar and lard and not gain weight. I'll just take the chocolate, though :wink: