Chocolate fan trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want in moderation... but if you are looking for an alternative I make these Dark Chocolate Oat "Balls"... as my husband calls them. I take dark chocolate, almond butter or peanut butter, almond milk to melt, then I add in rolled oats, use a melon scooper and put them on a baking sheet and then refrigerate a couple hours. then put them in individual snack baggies 2 each. when I get the urge for something sweet I have them on hand in the fridge... even keep them in the fruit bin in the fridge ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    feefee84 wrote: »
    Thanku all for your replies, really helpful. If I add a choc to my calorie intake will I still lose weight? I know they are full of sugar and saturated fats. :|

Doesn't matter. Chocolate has the calories that it has. The calories in chocolate aren't "more fattening" just because they come in the form of chocolate. Sugar and fat doesn't double count.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanku all for your replies, really helpful. If I add a choc to my calorie intake will I still lose weight? I know they are full of sugar and saturated fats. :|

In the math of weight loss, sugar and fat etc don't matter. All that matters is the calories.

I say "in the math" because those other things can matter indirectly. Sugar might increase your appetite, for example, making it harder for you to eat within your calorie limit. On the other hand, it might not. Every individual needs to experiment to learn those things about themselves.

I know cultures label certain foods "fattening" but it's not the foods that are fattening, it's their calories. Eat the right number of calories for your deficit and, no matter what foods you're getting those calories from, you'll lose weight.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ever see the fiber content of 80%+ dark chocolate?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Yes. Calories are all that matter for weight loss itself. Sat fats and sugar are not the cause of obesity, too many calories are.

I'm 100lbs down and still eat chocolate almost daily.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm having a small chocolate shake and bowl of chili tonight from Larkburger. I love chocolate, too, so I make it work. We have a love/love relationship.
  • DefiningStrength
    Options
    cocoa.... 12 kcal per tablespoon. Make hot cocoa (with stevia/ sweetener of choice), add to oats, smoothies, natural yogurt (freeze and it's choc frozen yogurt). Cook/ blend kumara with cocoa, sweetener of choice and an egg- pretty much a brownie in a pot....
    I might be a chocoholic... Just a little :wink:
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it's moderation with chocolate you have problems with, try dark chocolate. It might be a hard switch because it's not very sweet (I get 90% usually), but I think it's hard for most people to overeat -- a small piece suffices and generally stops the craving for chocolate.
  • sessik86
    sessik86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chocolate pb2 (35 cal) with bananas or apples or jello dark chocolate pudding cups (60 cal)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate, just not all the chocolate. My diary is full of little bits of chocolate, cheese too.
  • Denny_Angelova
    Denny_Angelova Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore chocolate, but now I eat it only once in a 4 days.... And by now it works for me..
  • feefee84
    feefee84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm learning so much from you all, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me. Really helps massively! I always thought I should keep eye on sat fat and sugars but now I know just stay in my calories regardless what I eat is a real eye opener! I'm off to the shops today to get some bits and I'm going to have a look at dark chocolate and see how I go with that! All in moderation :) x
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

I lost 30kg eating 1 serving of chocolate per day (on some days more, but those are usually the days I got stressed out at work). I make sure it's chocolate I actually like. I tried the whole 'eat dark chocolate' thing since it's supposed to be healthy. Tastes horrible. So I stick to the chocolate I like and just be happy with my losses.

During the work week, I usually walk to the gas station convenience shop (15 minute walk) and buy a single serving of one of my favorites. I try not to keep too much chocolate at home as I'm not yet really at the point I trust myself. So on Friday I'll buy 2 additional single servings for Saturday/Sunday. The second one is starting to survive until Sunday far more often. :smile:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day, usually at least a square of dark chocolate. I budget my calories for it. I've lost 93 pounds so far. So yes, you can eat chocolate and lose weight, as long as you're in a caloric deficit.
  • myszka0611
    myszka0611 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    myszka0611 wrote: »
    Have you tried avocado chocolate pudding? *2 large avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed *1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder *1/2 cup brown sugar *1/3 cup milk *2 teaspoons vanilla extract *pinch of ground cinnamon (I also add about a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules for a richer flavor). Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, chill for a bit, enjoy guilt-free chocolate pudding. Seriously tastes JUST LIKE "regular" chocolate pudding, no avocado taste at all

Curious what makes this "guilt free" as opposed to regular chocolate pudding, which doesn't cause me guilt at all. This actually sounds pretty calorie dense - avocado can really be a calorie bomb and is this for a single serving of pudding? So what makes this better than say, a single serve jello chocolate pudding (regular or sugar free)?

Sorry, should have mentioned this makes six servings. And if one uses Splenda or another -0- calorie sweetener, it'd cut down on the calories even more
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Have you tried avocado chocolate pudding? *2 large avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed *1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder *1/2 cup brown sugar *1/3 cup milk *2 teaspoons vanilla extract *pinch of ground cinnamon (I also add about a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules for a richer flavor). Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, chill for a bit, enjoy guilt-free chocolate pudding. Seriously tastes JUST LIKE "regular" chocolate pudding, no avocado taste at all

Curious what makes this "guilt free" as opposed to regular chocolate pudding, which doesn't cause me guilt at all. This actually sounds pretty calorie dense - avocado can really be a calorie bomb and is this for a single serving of pudding? So what makes this better than say, a single serve jello chocolate pudding (regular or sugar free)?

Sorry, should have mentioned this makes six servings. And if one uses Splenda or another -0- calorie sweetener, it'd cut down on the calories even more

But why not just eat regular sugar free chocolate pudding?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Small amounts of chocolate. Just build it into your calories.

This. I love candy, so I simply lessen the amount when I go into a weight loss phase so that I can still enjoy myself

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

It is more nutritious than regular sugar free chocolate pudding. Healthy fats, fibre. It does taste great. It isn't lower calorie, but it has many more nutrients and a better macro profile if you care about that on a given day.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I don't know anything about the avocado stuff (although I have heard someone else bring it up before) but just butting in to say - why not the sugar free pudding?
    Because it's nasty disgusting, that's why! :s
    I love pudding, so I thought I would save calories when i got started on my weight loss by buying the sugar free pudding. Tried the first one- absolutely disgusting. *gag*
    Told my husband he could eat the rest of the 6 pack. Not sure if he did or threw it away, and I don't care. You couldn't pay me to eat any more of it.
    If I want pudding now, I just leave room for the real thing! :smiley:
    Butting back out now :wink:
  • kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder (good kind) hersheys is ok, almond coconut milk, tsp of honey either blend in a blender (doesn't mix well in cold liquid blending in works) or heat up milk then stir in cocao powder for a tasty hot chocolate for a little over 60 calories..Or look up paleo chocolate also yummy