10k in rain

Options
How do you manage to get 10k steps in a rainy day?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Walk in the rain if it's not cold or pouring, it's quite fun.

• datraiderkid91
    datraiderkid91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's freezing
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I wear gortex. Some days I accept less than 10k.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Laps around my house; do you have a mall by you? Lap walking around that
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I do it rain or shine without missing once in over 400 days.. I always check the weather the night before to pick the best window of opportunity
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership for precisely this reason.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I own an umbrella.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For me? The gym
    the mall/shopping/costco
    around my office
    up and down the 5 flights of stairs

or just not, once in a while.

If you live somewhere where there's terrible weather many days a year, and you want to get 10k steps a day you might need to make a small financial investment. 10 bucks a month or so. 10bucks a month is like 3 starbucks.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Waterproof pants and jacket with a hood over a cap with a visor. I haven't got around to buying gore-tex shoes, but thick wool socks help keep my feet warm when my shoes get wet. I've been running in snow and rain all winter and we have had record amounts this year. I'm working up to a 10K distance currently and will likely get rained on this weekend. The only weather that has kept me in are the dangerously high winds we get here only because I haven't found a hat that protects from falling trees yet.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    throwaway clothes and large sweater. Nice and warm and wont ruin my jacket. Its as fun as its going to get, Sometimes ill walk to a mall and circle it but it gets boring fast. Rain calms me though so with a big sweater and throwaway clothes im nto worried about getting wet its quite relaxing (about 50% of the time other times the world could burn and id be alright XD)
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rain suit or snow suit depending in time of year also umbrella. to be honest i took a job that makes me get out everyday so i could not sit at home when weather is bad
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Walk around Walmart multiple times
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Rain coat
    House work

Having a dog rain makes no difference lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about some arbitrary number of steps...I have zero clue as to how many steps I take in a day.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't worry about some arbitrary number of steps...I have zero clue as to how many steps I take in a day.

For some people it is merely a benchmark, a milestone, a target to reach for. I do walk a LOT more now that I have my FitBit and I want to make sure I get past the 10k mark - it has definitely been helpful to me. Other people like you, or my husband - it makes not the least bit of difference - he also could not care less. To each his own....
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

For some people it is merely a benchmark, a milestone, a target to reach for. I do walk a LOT more now that I have my FitBit and I want to make sure I get past the 10k mark - it has definitely been helpful to me. Other people like you, or my husband - it makes not the least bit of difference - he also could not care less. To each his own....

I just think a lot of people overly obsess about it...and they don't even really know why or where it comes from. It's kind of like the 8 glasses of water thing. If it was raining and I needed to move, I'd get on my bike trainer or hit the gym...my wife would probably throw on a DVD workout, etc. I just think people get wrapped up in actual steps rather than just being more active in general regardless of whether that is step based or not.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Who cares where it comes from? Really? What difference does it make? I could not care less that the 10K was just some little Japanese dudes idea for naming a pedometer.

What matters to me is this: Yes, I do make a sincere and honest effort to get 10,000 steps in a day at minimum. When I got my fitbit, I wore it just for my typical normal day to see how many steps I typically do in a day. It was less than 3,000 - somewhere under 2,500, less than 2 miles... actually - the only time I did more was when I walked the dog (infrequently, my husband and kids walked her more than I did) or when I was showing a lot of houses to clients (certainly not every day, at most 3 days a week)

So I use the FitBit to make sure I get at least 10k a day - for me that's just around 4 miles every day of steps, close to 3x the activity I did before . Every day. 7 days a week. And I often push myself a little more to reach the 5 mile benchmark.

I don't do workout videos at home. I do not have the room for exercising to videos in my home. My dog also attacks me thinking it's time to play. Additionally, if I pound the floor too hard it makes the buffet in the dining room rattle and that makes me feel pretty low - that I can make the house shake - so I don't like doing that.

I go to the gym multiple times every week. My time on the treadmill accounts for at least 4,500 steps - I still get my 10K+ in even on gym days.

It is helpful for me and many others. Just because you don't find it important to your regime does not mean you should negate how it works for others.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Same way you do when it is -20F and wind chill makes it even worse, you walk, and dress for the weather if you want to get the steps in. Just think about all of the people that have to work out in the elements every day, and realize that it is doable if you want it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Housework. Kill two birds with one stone.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Who cares where it comes from? Really? What difference does it make? I could not care less that the 10K was just some little Japanese dudes idea for naming a pedometer.

What matters to me is this: Yes, I do make a sincere and honest effort to get 10,000 steps in a day at minimum. When I got my fitbit, I wore it just for my typical normal day to see how many steps I typically do in a day. It was less than 3,000 - somewhere under 2,500, less than 2 miles... actually - the only time I did more was when I walked the dog (infrequently, my husband and kids walked her more than I did) or when I was showing a lot of houses to clients (certainly not every day, at most 3 days a week)

So I use the FitBit to make sure I get at least 10k a day - for me that's just around 4 miles every day of steps, close to 3x the activity I did before . Every day. 7 days a week. And I often push myself a little more to reach the 5 mile benchmark.

I don't do workout videos at home. I do not have the room for exercising to videos in my home. My dog also attacks me thinking it's time to play. Additionally, if I pound the floor too hard it makes the buffet in the dining room rattle and that makes me feel pretty low - that I can make the house shake - so I don't like doing that.

I go to the gym multiple times every week. My time on the treadmill accounts for at least 4,500 steps - I still get my 10K+ in even on gym days.

It is helpful for me and many others. Just because you don't find it important to your regime does not mean you should negate how it works for others.

I think you're taking offense where none is intended and getting worked up about nothing...I'm not negating anything...perhaps the OP is under the impression that 10K steps is necessary...I had this conversation with another user who was convinced that in order to be fit he had to do 10K steps along with a bunch of other deliberate exercise and he was exasperated as he also had kids and wife at home and limited time...perhaps OP is in that same boat, who knows?

Bring it down a notch...I really don't care what you do or don't do...take a chill pill.