10k in rain

Options
2»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking offense...apart from where I emphasized how much more activity my 10k a day goal has inspired, there was nothing in my response that looked like I was angry, offended, or upset. Maybe you're projecting your feelings into my responses. Maybe you should have a chill pill yourself? LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I'm not taking offense...apart from where I emphasized how much more activity my 10k a day goal has inspired, there was nothing in my response that looked like I was angry, offended, or upset. Maybe you're projecting your feelings into my responses. Maybe you should have a chill pill yourself? LOL

Lol...I'm a pretty chill guy, life is easier that way. You went off on how I was "negating"...I wasn't negating anything...I was making a point to the OP to just move. Who cares how you do it.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Well, I didn't realize that negate was such a harsh word lol
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you are only walking, then you have the benefit of being able to fairly easily dress for the weather. Balancing staying dry/warm enough and not overheating and sweating when running or cycling in inclement weather is way more of a P.I.T.A.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Rather that than the run outside today where it was 80 degrees :(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Waterproof pants and jacket with a hood over a cap with a visor. I haven't got around to buying gore-tex shoes, but thick wool socks help keep my feet warm when my shoes get wet. I've been running in snow and rain all winter and we have had record amounts this year. I'm working up to a 10K distance currently and will likely get rained on this weekend. The only weather that has kept me in are the dangerously high winds we get here only because I haven't found a hat that protects from falling trees yet.

I have. They're waterproof for the first several times you wear them, and then they're not anymore. Every pair I've ever had. I think the way shoes flex plus the way the GTX is held in place results in it being torn somewhere.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Waterproof pants and jacket with a hood over a cap with a visor. I haven't got around to buying gore-tex shoes, but thick wool socks help keep my feet warm when my shoes get wet. I've been running in snow and rain all winter and we have had record amounts this year. I'm working up to a 10K distance currently and will likely get rained on this weekend. The only weather that has kept me in are the dangerously high winds we get here only because I haven't found a hat that protects from falling trees yet.

I have. They're waterproof for the first several times you wear them, and then they're not anymore. Every pair I've ever had. I think the way shoes flex plus the way the GTX is held in place results in it being torn somewhere.

Good to know. I've put off buying them since I read if you get any water in the shoes it just stays there and sloshes around. At least with my mesh shoes my feet will be freezing cold as long as they're in direct contact with snow or puddles but warm up and dry out once I'm on dry ground. Soggy shoes are just unpleasant.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Good to know. I've put off buying them since I read if you get any water in the shoes it just stays there and sloshes around. At least with my mesh shoes my feet will be freezing cold as long as they're in direct contact with snow or puddles but warm up and dry out once I'm on dry ground. Soggy shoes are just unpleasant.

I have a pair of GTX trail runners that I'm using to snowshoe this year. Can confirm that when your feet get sweaty you get foot soup. Fortunately most of my hikes are short (10 miles or less) so I haven't been subject to trench foot or frostbite when the sweat freezes.
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, or just go out in the rain and look forward to a nice hot bath / shower afterwards. Did a 10k race last Sunday and I've never been so wet and cold in my life, but it was great fun! Lots of mud for a road race and lots of puddles to run through, but it was worth it
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I do mine indoors on the tredmill or just jogging in place - we get a LOT of rain in NI so I had to find some way to consistently keep my steps count up.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the unuseful walk. If I have to walk to accomplish something that is one thing, but if I'm just walking to get steps I'd rather not do it. I'd much rather ride a bicycle because it will take me farther, I can see more, and I have more control over what kind of workout I get. With the software that is available for smart trainers these days, even staying inside doesn't have to be boring. Though you do have to come to terms with the massive amounts of water that pools beneath you.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So I use the FitBit to make sure I get at least 10k a day - for me that's just around 4 miles every day of steps, close to 3x the activity I did before . Every day. 7 days a week. And I often push myself a little more to reach the 5 mile benchmark.

I must have a longer stride - for me 10k steps covers 5 miles. :)

As to the OP, I either go to the gym, walk in the mall, or just put on a waterproof jacket.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's freezing

Snow hat and Northface then? If it's really important, walk around inside. I will watch TV, and just walk back and forth in the living room if I have too.

• wizzybeth
    edited March 2017
    Options

So I use the FitBit to make sure I get at least 10k a day - for me that's just around 4 miles every day of steps, close to 3x the activity I did before . Every day. 7 days a week. And I often push myself a little more to reach the 5 mile benchmark.

I must have a longer stride - for me 10k steps covers 5 miles. :)

As to the OP, I either go to the gym, walk in the mall, or just put on a waterproof jacket.

Yep maybe. My 10k is around 4.0-4.5 miles
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the unuseful walk. If I have to walk to accomplish something that is one thing, but if I'm just walking to get steps I'd rather not do it. I'd much rather ride a bicycle because it will take me farther, I can see more, and I have more control over what kind of workout I get. With the software that is available for smart trainers these days, even staying inside doesn't have to be boring. Though you do have to come to terms with the massive amounts of water that pools beneath you.

You must not have anything interesting to look at in your neighborhood. I found a mountain stream I didn't know about and saw a hawk fly off with a rabbit during my last run. I guess I could stream an episode of Nature and ride a trainer, but it's not really the same.
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Walking at home)
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Get wet!

Not sure if it's the best idea but I've done it. You can walk in the rain. If it's going to be really cold you might want to think twice or maybe get some appropriate clothing...but it can be done.

That said...I've considered getting an indoor rower. The nicer treadmills seem to be really expensive.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    teadmill?
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Rain gear, and up the intensity (speed walk, jog) to get your body heat up. Dress as though it's 10 degrees warmer than it really is though so you don't get too hot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,434 Member
    Options

Goretex socks are also a thing. Mine were pretty durable - lasted at last a couple years - but I was mostly rowing in them when it was colder weather, which is much different stress on them than walking.

(Sliding seat rowing, so there is wear - feet flex & push on every stroke, taking the full force of propulsion. It's not like canoe/kayak where your feet just hang out.,)

For OP, who's freezing, neoprene socks might be an option. They're hot.