Vegan Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• kitschnkarma1
    kitschnkarma1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried huel? It's not delicious but is ok if you mix a flavour sachet and ice with it
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been using the chocolate and vanilla orgain vegan protein powders recently. I get them both from Costco. I just tried the vanilla for the first time and love it. I think both flavors have stevia or a sweetener like it which I don't really care for, but I mostly mix them into banana berry smoothies or oatmeal so it's not a deal breaker. Before I found these I tried several different kinds that I didn't love, but I found that a lot of health food stores had smaller sample packets to try them out instead of buying a whole container. I'd also just email companies and see if they'd send me a sample and several did.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    swinnie239 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a vegan protein powder that tastes good?

I recently switched to vegan after being vegetarian. The one thing that I'm having issues with is protein powder. I have tried the Bob's Red Mill one which tasted ok (not good, funky texture and chalky, but ok) but was kind of high in carbs for everyday use for me. The Vega ones tasted absolutely awful and I spit out after one sip. The Garden of Life Vanilla is what I'm using currently. The texture is terrible and it's clumpy and earthy, but I can choke it down (which is something I could not do with the Vega).

I do realize that it's never going to be as smooth as whey but does anyone have a recommendation that actually tastes good. This shopping around is starting to get expensive, especially since I have not found one product that I like.

I use Orgain Protein + Greens with one billion probiotics in Vanilla flavor. I love it with PBFIT powder added. The chocolate is not so tasty.
  • ssolda2014
    ssolda2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you don't like Vega. I drink Vega Sport Vanilla and it's absolutely delicious.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You could also try making a smoothie with added banana, spinach, avocado etc etc to try and mask the taste of your powder.

Yes, this works well!! This works with any protein powder, you can't really taste it with the fruits and veggies mixed in; you could also add some unsweetened cocoa powder/cacao powder.

I have Vega One nutrition in Chocolate and I don't find it to taste bad when I shake it extremely well, and I like the taste. It's the same thing for Raw Protein and basically any other one that I've tried. I recently tried Raw Fit and I really like the vanilla, again, you need to shake really well. I also love Raw Protein and Greens Chocolate and again when I make a smoothie with water or almond milk with frozen fruits/fresh fruit/greens etc and lately unsweetened cocoa powder, it's so good.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We use Orgain and love it.
    Even my kids like the vanilla being added to their carrot, kale, orange, banana smoothies.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    swinnie239 wrote: »

@MomReborn Do you remember where you got the sample packs from?

My two most recent purchases were from Netrition and Ebay. Neither offered a choice on what they sent. Amazon and Bodybuilding.com regularly offer different sampler pack varieties. Naked Nutrition (nkdnutrition.com) offers their sampler via their website and on Amazon. I like having samplers on hand to take with me when I'm out, and to have a decent variety :) Check out the manufacturer website of any of your favorites for a sampler pack page. A web search for "vegan (or vegetarian) protein powder sampler pack" will pull up some nice results from familiar brands and new stuff, if you're adventurous. Happy hunting!
  • cestabbey
    cestabbey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with the "all vegan protein shakes are disgusting" comments... What a blanket statement!

I absolutely love Vega Sport (make sure it's "sport"!) as do my friends and my non-vegan sister. I haven't tried the other Vega options, but this one is great. Be sure to get chocolate, mocha, or vanilla, and not the berry one, though. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Vega-Protein-Powder-Vanilla-Servings/dp/B016D9IGRA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489022889&sr=8-1&keywords=vega+sport+protein

If you aren't into Vega Sport, then you could also try "Skoop." Here's the link: https://healthyskoop.com/

Happy protein shake-drinking!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I do keep some pea protein on hand at all times. It's available in Canada at the Bulk Barn and it's 85% protein. I use it for baking and adding to protein shakes sometimes. Can't say I've ever really tasted it in anything I've ever made, it's always overwhelmed by the chocolate in baking or the fruits, berries and vegetables in the shakes.
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I am currently shopping around for sample sized products. There is a Vega Sport sample on the way. Hopefully it's better than the other 2 I tried.

I mixed with a banana and some strawberries and spinach and that made the protein surprisingly nice. I'm not sure that it's practical for post workout for me most of the time because I can't really carry a blender with me everywhere and I go from the gym to work. I guess I could bring a pre-blended one but then I'm scared of ruining cups and bottle from what happens when you leave protein out too long. It'll get me through the rest of the one I'm working on though, especially for weekends.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hey! Have you tried Arbonne protein powder? It's cranberry and pea protein. I love it, and everyone that has tried mine has loved it. I'm not vegan but it is all vegan certified. So many of my vegan friends have said it's the nicest vegan protein they've had. The quality and the absorption rate is really good too and isn't full of crap. They also offer a pure protein!!
    I literally cannot live without it.
    They do it in vanilla or chocolate.
    http://www.arbonne.com/PWS/ChelsieRiley/store/AMUK/product/Protein-Shake-Mix-Powder-Vanilla-2979,6560.aspx
    http://www.arbonne.com/PWS/ChelsieRiley/store/AMUK/product/Protein-Shake-Mix-Powder-Chocolate-2957,6558.aspx
    Pure protein:
    http://www.arbonne.com/PWS/ChelsieRiley/store/AMUK/product/Daily-Protein-Boost-6296,10474.aspx

Have a look, if you want any samples, I can arrange posting you some :smile:
    Chelsie xxx

I know you're probably just trying to be nice, but you can't advertise here.

I'm not advertising by any stretch, I'm recommending a product that I, and many others have had great results with. You can only buy Arbonne through someone that has recommended it, and many haven't heard of them and it's all vegan certified. X

Telling someone to buy through YOU where YOU get a commission... isn't advertising?

Okay.
  • diana_1974
    diana_1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i like the vega coconut one. just got the vanilla. its hard to drink. going to go back to coconut and maybe mix them to at least use it up.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Spring of Life brand is BAD BAD BAD...and expensive. Don't waste your $$ on it ;-)
  • Sls2bhealthy
    Sls2bhealthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Orgain Organic Sweet Vanilla Bean is AMAZING! I buy it at Costco, but you can get it online as well. http://orgain.com/products/organic-protein-powder/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The first and last brand of vegan protein powder I will buy was tasted today. Horrible. Maybe it was the stevia. Yuckness.
  • Elligatorz
    Elligatorz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the taste of stevia so I spent a long time looking for protein powders without! Currently I really like the Botanica Perfect Protein, it's unsweetened so I often mix it with almond milk, a teaspoon of maple syrup, and sometimes a little extra cocoa powder. I'm also a huge fan of President's Choice Soy Protein Shake. Its super yummy just mixed with almond milk, but it is a little higher sugar and I'm not sure if it's available outside of Canada.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    SUNWARRIOR chocolate / vanilla, amazing grass peanut butter chocolate !
    orgain organic proteinm, just read a review on it now as im looking for ones that blend well in only water (taste wise)

heres the review:

Pros: Taste, Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Made in the USA with many Canadian ingredients – Buy on Amazon for $38/2.05 lbs

Cons: None.

I first saw Orgain in Costco in the US and couldn’t believe my eyes – $30 for organic clean protein powder, too good to be true?! After the first sip mixed with plain water, me and my husband were screaming “OMG”. It tasted like chocolate milk. Seriously, it tastes phenomenal although I tried only chocolate flavour. Smooth texture, super tasty and even has some tiny crystals that remind me of crumbled Oreo cookies. Amazing in baking too, 0 aftertaste.

Orgain is definitely the winner in terms of price and taste of all plant based protein powders I ever tried. Highly recommended!
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    After going through many, Sun Warrior is my go to. I even look forward to it. I prefer the vanilla flavour
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I Love the taste of Chocolate Spiru-tein. blend it with almond milk and it's thick and perfect.
    SCI-MX Nutrition PRO V-GAIN PROTEIN is also not bad, but not as good as Spiru-tein.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My favorite is S.A.N. RawFusion in Natural Chocolate. It tastes pretty good, and I just add water to my powders. Their Banana Nut is also really good.