The diet industry- shameful

Options
BryKate
BryKate Posts: 74 Member
Okay so who else cringes every time they seen an advert for the new " healthy 99 cal snack!" I opened a magazine today to find a whole page of these under 100 cal snacks, ranging from Special K bars to fruit wind ups, to mini ice creams to bags of candy. Why is the world so obsessed with calories rather than nutrients and ingredients?? How is it a better option to have a 99cal mini ice cream that is packed full of additives and chemicals with a 20 item long ingredient list most of which you can't even pronounce? Are they really saying these 99cal snacks are better than lets say a snack of 1 apple (70 cals) dipped in organic peanut butter (80 cals) A healthy 150cal snack vs a 99 cal snack packed full of cr*p? Its so wrong how the diet industry just makes money off fooling people... first thing to look at when buying a product is the ingredients, NOT the calories.

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of portion sizes that are nearly microscopic. But I'm learning that the closer most foods are to their point of origin, the larger the serving I can have without breaking the bank nutritionally.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    which you can't even pronounce?

speak for yourself...
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Okay so who else cringes every time they seen an advert for the new " healthy 99 cal snack!" I opened a magazine today to find a whole page of these under 100 cal snacks, ranging from Special K bars to fruit wind ups, to mini ice creams to bags of candy. Why is the world so obsessed with calories rather than nutrients and ingredients?? How is it a better option to have a 99cal mini ice cream that is packed full of additives and chemicals with a 20 item long ingredient list most of which you can't even pronounce? Are they really saying these 99cal snacks are better than lets say a snack of 1 apple (70 cals) dipped in organic peanut butter (80 cals) A healthy 150cal snack vs a 99 cal snack packed full of cr*p? Its so wrong how the diet industry just makes money off fooling people... first thing to look at when buying a product is the ingredients, NOT the calories.

Good thing my ice cream has like 5 ingredients, thank god for Häägen Dazs >:D
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're preaching to the choir!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    because nobody cares about nutrients or ingredients.. people care about low fat, low calorie, "healthy" labeled foods.. and Price.. If people cared about nutrients.. there wouldn't be a McD's every mile. How many people do you see on here complaining they can't reach 1200 calories cause all they eat is low fat, no fat, low calorie garbage and think its helping them.
  • BryKate
    BryKate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    because nobody cares about nutrients or ingredients.. people care about low fat, low calorie, "healthy" labeled foods.. and Price.. If people cared about nutrients.. there wouldn't be a McD's every mile. How many people do you see on here complaining they can't reach 1200 calories cause all they eat is low fat, no fat, low calorie garbage and think its helping them.

yup..its pretty sad
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt,Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

and

Arachidic acid, aspartic acid, behenic acid, chlorigenic acid, stearic acid, gentisic acid, lauric acid, linoleic acid, oleic acid, p-coumaric acid, palmitic, palmitoleic, ascorbic acid, caprylic, arachin, lecithin, quercetin, rutin, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, alanine, arginine, cystine, phenylalanine, glycine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methoinine, proline, serine, tyrosine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine, aluminum, sulfur, boron, cadmium, zinc, colbalt, copper, iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, cellulose, niacin, folacin, riboflavin, thiamin

equals...something yummy and 150 cals...give or take.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I bought my last Amy's frozen dinner and a Marie Callender pot pie a while back. Past practices and common sense suggest that I was buying 1 serving and when skimming the label it looked like a fair meal with low cal & not so high sodium levels. Only after I ate and was adding it to my MFP foods did I then discover that I just ate twice as much as I intended. The shysters camouflaged the number of servings in the fine print off to the side of the nutrient content.

These two products were favs of mine and I bought many over the years. Yeah, my fault, they tricked me, but they lose, cuz I lost trust in them. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I suggest boycotting the tricksters.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    VERY well put!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    These snacks do annoy me, but only because they are so small, and I'd have to eat a bunch of them to satisfy me. That's the only reason they're under 100 cals.

I'd much rather have a protein flapjack or something that's twice the cals but is really going to fill a hole.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    People are free to eat whatever they want. If someone hasn't taken the time to learn about proper nutrition, then don't blame the company that makes the snacks. Stop categorizing individual foods into whether or not they are good or bad. Foods are good or bad within the context of your daily intake, but not in and of themselves. You can eat both an apple, and a 100 calorie snack pack and be perfectly fine. I've seen plenty of people that eat nothing but "natural", "unprocessed" foods who are severely overweight and unhealthy, and I've also seen people who eat a good amount of fast food and processed food who are extremely healthy and have low resting heart rates, and immaculate lipid panels.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather have a protein flapjack or something that's twice the cals but is really going to fill a hole.

Giggity.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 85% clean since somewhere around 2003. And it did absolutely nothing to scale, I have been mostly in the same neighborhood on the scale for a decade. On the other hand my lipids and blood sugar are great!
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt,Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

and

Arachidic acid, aspartic acid, behenic acid, chlorigenic acid, stearic acid, gentisic acid, lauric acid, linoleic acid, oleic acid, p-coumaric acid, palmitic, palmitoleic, ascorbic acid, caprylic, arachin, lecithin, quercetin, rutin, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, alanine, arginine, cystine, phenylalanine, glycine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methoinine, proline, serine, tyrosine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine, aluminum, sulfur, boron, cadmium, zinc, colbalt, copper, iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, cellulose, niacin, folacin, riboflavin, thiamin

mmmmmm! sounds yummy. what kind of wine would you serve with that, red or white?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I am more concerned about the macro content than the ingredients list. But that is just me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    because we dont understand what is a portion size. Most of these 100kcal things are what a portion size should look like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    The diet industry isn't shameful...................................it's just doing what it can to make money. Where it's shameful is actual knowledge from the people who are consorting to diets and diet foods for weight control. It SHOULD make total sense that if the body and health was as important to a person as it should be, then there would be some good knowledge of how it works. Unfortunately that's not the case and why so many are battling the bulge.
    People aren't that dumb. They know that their eating habits suck and over consumption along with lack of burning calories is why they're fat. Till it's important enough to them to actually do something about it, it will continue.
    I don't see anything wrong with the 99 calorie snacks. If someone can have one and think they've had their treat for the day from it rather than eating a 300 calorie candy bar, then something was achieved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

and

mmmmmm! sounds yummy. what kind of wine would you serve with that, red or white?

Ethanol
    Glycerol
    Tannins
    Malvidin 3-Glucoside
    Catechin and Caffeic Acid
    3-Isobutyl-2-Methoxy-Pyrazine
    Tyramine
    Malic and Lactic Acids
    Resveratrol
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    they charge you more for dividing their processed crap into tiny convenient packets. if you have any brains, you will divide your own crap into packets. or not buy crap at all.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    here's a hint that will save you some anger from here on out.
    Any "industry" out to make money= a bit( I mean a lot) shameful.

You know what while you complain, I think it's nice that if I want nutter butters I can have a nifty little 100 calorie pack rather than shoveling the whole package plastic and all in my face.

They saw an opportunity to make money, and they did. They'd be morons not to. ;