Creatine

Options
Is creatine good to take if you trying to lose weight and build muscle.

Replies

• frankbacon33
    frankbacon33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No if anything you wil gain weight. I would say work on building lean muscle. This will help you burn fat. Once you reach your weight goals creatine (when used correctly) can help you bulk up.
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    I've used it when I cut and it's not stored as fat so not sure the problem with it during cut.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've used it when I cut and it's not stored as fat so not sure the problem with it during cut.

It's even more important to supplement it when cutting than bulking. You're even more likely to not be getting the full amount from whole food when in a deficit. Even when in a bulk, unless all of your protein comes from lean beef, and you have a relatively high protein intake, you're probably nowhere near 5g per day.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    railboss42 wrote: »
    Is creatine good to take if you trying to lose weight and build muscle.

I don't think it would hurt... I also don't see a big benefit... however some people get a psychological boost... so I guess what I am saying Is take it if you want but I don't think it's going to make any difference
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Creatine promotes muscle growth, so it can help to build muscle. It's not going to help with losing weight.
    If you're trying to achieve both at once, you'll need to make sure your diet is protein-rich otherwise your body will struggle to maintain your existing muscle mass, let alone increase it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Creatine is an intra-muscularly saturated. So you may carry a few lbs of water, but it won't prevent fat loss. It indirectly helps build muscle as it can promote the ability to lift more weight or more reps. Personally, if you are a noob to lifting, it's rather unnecessary and you will make substantial gains alone with adaptations to your central nervous system.

If you do take it, stick with monohydrate. No other brand has proven to be more effective than the most simple and cheapers version.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have been taking 5-6 grams of creatine every morning for the last four+ months. During that time I've lost approximately 63 pounds.

EDIT: I am using the creatine to help support, maintain, and hopefully build lean muscle while reducing my overall body fat%. So far. So good.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Creatine is an intra-muscularly saturated. So you may carry a few lbs of water, but it won't prevent fat loss. It indirectly helps build muscle as it can promote the ability to lift more weight or more reps. Personally, if you are a noob to lifting, it's rather unnecessary and you will make substantial gains alone with adaptations to your central nervous system.

If you do take it, stick with monohydrate. No other brand has proven to be more effective than the most simple and cheapers version.

I have been using monohydrate. Just plain Jane. No sweeteners, no nothing. I mix it with either water or a low calorie V-8 drink.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I have been using monohydrate. Just plain Jane. No sweeteners, no nothing. I mix it with either water or a low calorie V-8 drink.

Best way to go. A lot of the "premium" creatine is just monohydrate with a bunch of unnecessary sugar and flavorings, and maybe some caffeine. If I were that worried about it (even though it's pretty much flavorless) I'd just add it to my PWO or a protein shake that I'd be drinking anyway.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I experienced no benefit or deficit using it for 8 months while lifting heavy over 8 months and increasing my strength by over 20% across the Big 4 lifts and then stopping the use of it last month. Not using it any longer.

Everyone's experience seems to be different. Try it and if it works 4 u, GREAT! but don't be surpised if it has no measureable effect at all.
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    I have been using creatine on and off for nearly 20 years. I have seen nothing but positive benefits. I first starting using it in high school and noticed a huge difference in how long I could workout and the strength gains during that time.
  • railboss42
    railboss42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the help and pointers I truly appreciate all the help I can get for I'm just starting out trying to get in better shape
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I experienced no benefit or deficit using it for 8 months while lifting heavy over 8 months and increasing my strength by over 20% across the Big 4 lifts and then stopping the use of it last month. Not using it any longer.

Everyone's experience seems to be different. Try it and if it works 4 u, GREAT! but don't be surpised if it has no measureable effect at all.

I personally dont plan on taking it until i hit plateaus. Largely so i can decifer if my gains are due to the supplement or just noob gains

Eta: last time i also had stomach cramping not sure if that will happen again.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just my n=1 regarding creatine - I've been taking 8g/day for a couple months now (Optimum Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate).
    I experienced very minimal, if any, water weight gain from it - nothing that I could clearly distinguish from normal daily fluctuations. My lifts have gone up very slightly and I've been able to squeak out another rep or two on most movements, but I can't tell if it's just from natural training progression or if the creatine may have helped a bit in some way.

I don't notice any significant difference in muscle size/fullness other than normal fluctuations from water levels and workout status, and my measurements haven't changed noticeably (I take measurements monthly). It hasn't affected my weight loss one way or the other. I've never had any issues with cramping, but I drink a lot of water/liquids every day anyway.

I can't say with certainty that I'm a "non-responder", but I can say with certainty that if there are any effects, it's been nothing dramatic or readily quantifiable. I'm solidly in the "meh" camp. I'll keep taking it just because it's inexpensive and maybe it helps, but my expectations will remain low unless proven otherwise (not that I expected miracles in the first place).
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Creatine facilitates the production of ATP in muscle cells to allow a bit of extra work before exhaustion. I've been using it for a month and have put on about five pounds of water weight in that time. I don't know how much of an effect it's had on my lifting but the scientific literature backs up its effectiveness. It draws water into the muscle cells. That additional water weight will be lost once you go off of it. Just keep that in mind when you see the scale moving in the wrong direction at first.