Loose skin.....

Options

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I lost over 70 lbs over about 10 months, I'm 45yo and I've been overweight to various degrees my whole life, with 230ish lbs as my heaviest. I have very few skin issues at this point, I'm in normal bmi and weight right now, and have been maintaining for 4 months, although i decided to go down a bit more to get more definition in my legs. I have very good strong muscles but still too much padding over, so they aren't so visible right now. As for loose skin, when i bend or do plank it hangs in sort of a very sad way, but.. I'm feeling better, stronger than ever, slimmer that ever, and when i stand, it's not there. I also have a bit of extra skin on my arms, but it's very minor, short sleeve covers it fine,and i can wear tanks and short shorts and look good in them. So it's a great trade off for me, loosing all that extra fat that made my back, knees and feet hurt. I also find it so much more fun to ride my bike, cause it's way easier to propel my body now that I'm so much lighter, lol. So, OP, go for your goals, don't let this loose skin fear hold you back. It's worth it at the end, health is everything, and that's the most important benefit, imo. Good luck.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Avoiding loose skin, living to a healthy old age, etc are the reasons why I eat for strength and avoid junk sometimes refereed to as food.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin on my tummy from losing about 40 lbs. I do intermittent fasting and read that over time IF should help with getting rid of excess skin from cellular autophagy. I hope that works, but not holding my breath. Trying to build muscle and focus more on that and see how my stomach looks later on as recoming on maintenance takes time and my lower belly and thighs are also where the majority of my body fat store is located.
  • sophiekhan510
    sophiekhan510 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Depends on genetics, how much you lose & how fast you lost the weight! I myself had to get a tummy tuck done after losing over a 100 pounds (I'm 25 now)
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 lbs down with loose skin on my lower abdomen. When my pants are hiked to my belly button, you'd never know, even doing planks!! Lol Four kids and extra weight can do that to you! I'm hoping it becomes a bit less noticeable over time as it looks like crinkly paper and the rest of me looks pretty fit! I actually have a four pack above the wrinkly paper skin. lol I think if I ever lose more weight in my arms, they will have loose skin as well. I stiff have some fat there. I'm progressively weight training with lots of water and hoping for the best. My hard work has paid off though overall so I'm happy. :-)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, the loose "skin" from my 70# loss is really covering loose flab. The weight of those fat deposits drag the skin down on my belly and thighs. I'm 50 and look and feel way better than I did when I was heavier, but feel like 10-15 more pounds would get rid of those last fatty, droopy bits and would be a significant improvement.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I didn't think I had any loose skin. Until I was doing a plank and looked down toward my belly! But, I'm 48 and had a baby at 42.
    I don't think my skin is going to snap back anymore. In general, I'm happy with my weight loss & fitness & I try to not look when I plank :D

Yeah. I've got a freaking udder when I do planks. *annoyed sigh* Still, loose skin is better than fatty rolls!

Omg...I laughed so hard when I read this. I've learned I just can't look. Ha ha!!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I didn't think I had any loose skin. Until I was doing a plank and looked down toward my belly! But, I'm 48 and had a baby at 42.
    I don't think my skin is going to snap back anymore. In general, I'm happy with my weight loss & fitness & I try to not look when I plank :D

Yeah. I've got a freaking udder when I do planks. *annoyed sigh* Still, loose skin is better than fatty rolls!

Omg...I laughed so hard when I read this. I've learned I just can't look. Ha ha!!

Lol, or in the shower, when you wash your toes. Don't look at your belly
  • niyra17
    niyra17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Gosh the dreaded skin..I was hoping if i can start swimming maybe that will help, have you tried exercise? and how much have you lost if you dont mind me asking ?
    I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life and need to lose 3 stone, God knows how i will look.. but this is something i have been wondering about too. Good luck ...
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    niyra17 wrote: »
    Gosh the dreaded skin..I was hoping if i can start swimming maybe that will help, have you tried exercise? and how much have you lost if you dont mind me asking ?
    I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life and need to lose 3 stone, God knows how i will look.. but this is something i have been wondering about too. Good luck ...

I am not quite sure how much I have lost because I don't know what my start weight was but my guess is at least 35 kgs over 9 months. Not really been a yoyo dieter, just the weight steadily increasing with age. I do a lot of walking for exercise with a little strength training on the side. Unfortunately a bad knee means I can't do much more than walking for cardio. Loose skin is much better than the excess weight and with luck it will improve a bit over time.
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This being the 3rd time in 20yrs I have lost approx 20kg, I expected the loose flabby skin. I have always said I would rather be thin and flabby than fat and firm. Lack of enough hydration when young and length of time the skin was stretched makes a big difference to the skins elasticity. I can always hide the skin under clothes not like the fat. I also believe in bulking up the muscle as much as possible to fill the void especially on upper arms.