Loose skin.....

Options
Losing all this weight has been great, except for all the loose skin that came with it. The joys of being the wrong side of 40 for weight loss.

Will this skin eventually shrink back closer to my current size or is it something to deal with for the rest of my life?

Replies

• marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be dealing that with that too. Plastic surgery is the only hope I'm afraid.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm not too hopeful, but I'm doing all sorts of things that people allege to be effective. For one, I'm not worrying too much about it until I'm around 10-12% body fat, so I'm not looking at subcutaneous fat and thinking it's skin. Secondly I'm taking a hydrolyzed beef gelatin supplement, fish oil, and just started taking a dropperful of Gotu Kola leaf extract each day as recommended in Tim Ferriss' new book. Allegedly the Gotu Kola takes months to be effective, but if I can avoid the knife when I'm done with all of this, it'll be worth having tried.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It seems that either this excess skin needs to become a badge of honour to prove the success that I have had, or I'd have to spend $$$$ to have it removed. Sigh.......
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There are degrees of 'loose skin'.

After rapid weight loss some skin may shrink back in time - like many bellies after pregnancy.

However, skin that has been severely damaged and stretched will never ever bounce back. No products, creams, pills will make it do so.

For some, loose skin is just an unfortunate cosmetic consequence of losing weight.
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't despair! I have lost 130 pounds over a year and a half (and gained/lost a couple of times before that), am near 40, and with weight lifting and very healthy eating/hydration, it isn't awful. I won't ever be a swimsuit model, but I look good in longer shorts and a t shirt. I also suspect it will shrink up a bit more over the next year or two. If all else fails, try to look into payment options for surgery as noted above, but be aware you trade loose skin for scars
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My loose skin still looks as bad after 2 years at maintenance sadly. I'm 38.
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Could high intensity training help? But if it were me, I think I would rather have the plastic surgery scars than the skin. Good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How much? I was in my mid-50's when I lost 38 pounds. I was a bit blubbery for a while where all that old fat had been and was now empty. I walked it off and it snapped back within six months. But I gained and lost 50 pounds for each baby. Part of it is genes and the resilience of your skin.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It definately tightens in... mostly! It takes time. I've been at maintenance for 4 years and still have a little saggy pouch of loose skin - nothing short of surgery would remove it. (I wont be resorting to that as its not that big a deal imo)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies. It does give some hope of improvement over time.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have seen some things about knox gelatin helping the elasticity of skin this way improving the collagen. I know it helps hair and nails so I am inclined to believe it for this and ready to take it myself in bigger doses to help my skin because I was very large. I did see a lot of improvement when i used coconut oil at night before bed in the condition of my skin. Seemed it tightened it up a bit while conditioning it...and smoothed it out. I also got those derma rollers and saw a difference with them... but also did dry brushing...saw equal i think in improvement with dry brushing. I think dry brushing is the best alternative to be honest and been proven to help stretch marks as well as derma rollers. Use coconut oil after dry brushing at night and dont shower and skin will feel silky smooth in morning. Some say do shower after and it is good to do sometimes...but I felt so relaxed after i dry brush i just want to sleep. lol The other method is good too with coconut oil. As I am writing this...I am wondering about heating coconut oil enough so gelatin would dissolve...then dry brush and rub on skin...in the old days manicures consisted of soaking fingers in knox water. People had great nails. Knox is very expensive...i get the gelatin in the hispanic section. Same stuff.