Need to gain weight badly!

Options
Hi guys, looking for some input on what I can do to gain weight. I am a small body guy, Weigh 128lbs. I have been keeping track of calories to gain 10-15 lbs and no change. Can any of you guys please give me some info that you think may help on what I can do. I eat all the time but it's mostly fruits and veggies. It's hard for me to eat alot of pasta type foods. Thank you

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. There are several helpful threads here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300326/most-helpful-posts-goal-gaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • NAustin84
    NAustin84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will check it out. My daily goal is 3200 calories after I put my info in and been getting to that goal or close to it for 2 weeks. And haven't seen anything. Would any certain type of meat, fish or chicken help more with that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I promise if you can consume 2 large everything on it pizzas a day by yourself, you'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DaddyDaveFitness
    DaddyDaveFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    food consumption needs to outweigh the amount of energy your burning. depending on your lifestyle and energy output the idea of gaining 15lbs fast just isn't going to happen but over the course of a few years sure. for instance if your an avid runner, weight gain is extremely hard to maintain. carbs are definitely your friend as well as protein and salt. research research and more research as well as trial an error for your specific needs and lifestyle will get you there. keep at it man! you'll reach your goal if the WANT is strong enough.

for instance when i was in my early 20's i would consume over 4300 calories a day to maintain a whopping.... 130ish lb frame. worked as a garbage man throwing garbage, averaged 10-15miles on my feet as well as loading a 12ton truck for two loads so yea the energy burn was extreme. at the time though 4300 (ish) calories was all i could physically stomach even with shakes and power bars so i had to come to terms with me being 130lbs.

good luck friend!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I promise if you can consume 2 large everything on it pizzas a day by yourself, you'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is probably true but,often the problem with people who find it hard to gain weight is that they're unable to do that. I find it easier to get my calories with smaller calorie dense foods that don't make me overfull.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NAustin84 wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking for some input on what I can do to gain weight. I am a small body guy, Weigh 128lbs. I have been keeping track of calories to gain 10-15 lbs and no change. Can any of you guys please give me some info that you think may help on what I can do. I eat all the time but it's mostly fruits and veggies. It's hard for me to eat alot of pasta type foods. Thank you

Eat more high fat foods, peanut butter, avocado, full fat dairy, nuts and seeds etc
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Many of the sausages and cured meats are calorie dense (full of fat) and very tasty besides.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Duh; I just heard myself. Bacon.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is probably true but,often the problem with people who find it hard to gain weight is that they're unable to do that. I find it easier to get my calories with smaller calorie dense foods that don't make me overfull.

This is true.. it can also be partly psychological. It would be very mentally difficult for me to eat nothing but two large pizzas, it is not something I would typically do unless I force myself which isn't fun at all.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle to find the time to get in the calories
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

Drink them
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This happens all the time, all of a sudden I look at the time "shoooot it's 3pm and I forgot to eat my lunch and snack!!" then I panic and end up wasting more time looking for food to eat. What helps me.. meal prep. Setting aside a day where you do have time to prepare meals and calorie dense snacks is super helpful. Also... smoothies! These are great especially they are fast to prepare, you can take them on the go, they can pack a huge calorie punch and you can tailor the macros, also they go down easily. They have been my saviour this bulk
  • Xvapor
    Options

Drink them

I limit myself to one shake/ smoothie a day. I know how to get the calories it's the timing that's hard
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Drink them

I limit myself to one shake/ smoothie a day. I know how to get the calories it's the timing that's hard

Why limit yourself if it then makes you struggle to hit your goals?
  • Xvapor
    Options
    Good question. I guess I'm always on the go trying to find time and equipment to make shakes isn't practical
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Good question. I guess I'm always on the go trying to find time and equipment to make shakes isn't practical

Buy a carton of full fat milk. Job done
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So 2 large pizzas with everything on it is about 6500 calories. What other smaller calorie dense food will equal that much in smaller portions? One slice of pizza is about 270 calories. And it has a pretty good macronutrient profile.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is true.. it can also be partly psychological. It would be very mentally difficult for me to eat nothing but two large pizzas, it is not something I would typically do unless I force myself which isn't fun at all.
    What I've found though is that people who CAN'T seem to gain weight NEED to force themselves to eat more. That's why they can't gain weight in the first place. Pretty much the opposite of people who need to lose weight. They can't STOP eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Xvapor
    Options
    Lol you got all the answers! But drinking milk before any kind on intense physical activity is a non starter
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Lol you got all the answers! But drinking milk before any kind on intense physical activity is a non starter

Snickers. Cashews. Chips/crisps. PB&J sandwiches. All fairly small, calorie dense and the nuts in the absence of a bag, are very easy to carry round.

I mean, if someone is hitting their protein, getting their macros then some candy and soda isn't a terrible idea to bump up the calorie count. Particularly when you're hovering around an unhealthily low weight or want to bulk.