Do y'all log your weight liftings in or estimate?

Options
I don't know how many calories are being burned when I do weights. I did arms today and I wasn't sure how to calculate it.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    I log "strength training" ... and if the total time doing the strength training was something like 30 minutes, I log it as 10 minutes. I figure there's a lot of breaks between exercises.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    criiadina wrote: »
    I don't know how many calories are being burned when I do weights. I did arms today and I wasn't sure how to calculate it.

For the program designed by my trainer, I log what he told me to log. For my class or for 30 Day Shred type of stuff, I log it under circuit training in cardio. Both are pretty close to each other and to what my Fitbit charge hr tallies, but I am mostly doing more metabolic type lifting with very short rest periods.
  • reichertcarol
    reichertcarol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit workouts, they don't have burpees or wallballs so I just put vigorous jumping jacks for 18 or 20 minutes.
  • criiadina
    criiadina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Appreciate it all! Very helpful!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually don't log my weight lifting. It's hard to really know with any accuracy, and I only do 3 workouts a week. Since I started going to the gym to lift (Stronglifts) I haven't had a faster rate of weight loss so it looks like I'm not burning much anyway. But if I were to log it, what @Machka9 does make sense to me.
  • michaelroberts90475
    michaelroberts90475 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lifting, no. Cardio yes
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It would be great if there was a MapMyLifts app that synced with MFP, I use JeFit to track my weight lifting, but it doesn't recognize any difference when I log in my lifts manually here. Is there any other way?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I log "strength training" ... and if the total time doing the strength training was something like 30 minutes, I log it as 10 minutes. I figure there's a lot of breaks between exercises.

@Machka9
    The strength estimate on here assumes the "normal" breaks between sets - the estimate is for total time start to finish not just time under tension.
    It's a very rough estimate of course but does take your METS into account.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

@Machka9
    The strength estimate on here assumes the "normal" breaks between sets - the estimate is for total time start to finish not just time under tension.
    It's a very rough estimate of course but does take your METS into account.

Still ... I really don't think I burn very much doing my weights workouts. Not much more than, say, bringing in the groceries which I don't log at all.

If I do log my weights workouts, they're rarely more than about 50 cal.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I log my burns (via my Garmin VAHR) for strength training but they are pretty low, 90-120 for a 15-20 min Youtube routine done with 4-5kg dumbells.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I log it under strength training in cardio and subtract 20%. That seems to be pretty accurate for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I log it on Fitbit and halve the calories
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I log 150 calories per session.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when i was logging i ignored it. i'd think of it more as something that meant i had to make sure i got the protein covered, but for calorie purposes i treated it as if it just didn't exist.
  • Majahonke
    Majahonke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a crossfit trainer. She told me to just log as circuit training.
  • criiadina
    criiadina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Majahonke wrote: »
    My daughter is a crossfit trainer. She told me to just log as circuit training.

Awesome. Appreciate it!!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't log lifting at all.
    I figure those are free "negative" calories that will help make up for inaccurate values of the foods in the app.
    I hit close to my calorie and macro goals and let my exercise numbers take care of themselves.
    It also means I never need to worry about how many exercise calories to "eat back".

Works for me but it annoys some people here because "That isn't how MPF is *supposed* to be used".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I logged I just logged weight training under cardio...as I recall it gave me about 250 calories which seemed to be about right.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It would be great if there was a MapMyLifts app that synced with MFP, I use JeFit to track my weight lifting, but it doesn't recognize any difference when I log in my lifts manually here. Is there any other way?

There really isn't. It's not the "fault" of MFP or anything else. And it's not that the calories from lifting are totally insignificant. People are trying to measure the unmeasurable.

You can go with a TDEE method that just uses a set calorie amount per day that includes activity and doesn't track or "eat back" exercise calories. Or you can use a set calorie total for a resistance workout and check over time via trial and error.

But there is no app or new measuring device existing or on the way to measure strength calories.

• pizzle421
    pizzle421 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I typically let the app decide how many calories I burned by lifting and don't worry about accuracy. Honestly, on lifting days, I don't particularly mind eating a bit extra. Lifting is by far much harder on my body than any cardio I do so I figure the extra calories for recovery are well earned. Doing this does not seem to impact my weight loss in any meaningful way.