Do y'all log your weight liftings in or estimate?

2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    There isn't really a way to track weight lifting calories accurately. I mean, 15 minutes of arms (small muscles) isn't going to burn as many as 15 minutes of squats (big muscles) and in reality, neither are going to burn all that many. My advice, throw it into your activity level if you are consistent with it on a weekly basis.
  • tdesignr
    tdesignr Posts: 18 Member
    I use my Fitbit to record a "weights" session via the watch. It typically states I burn between 250-400 calories for 30+ minutes of weight lifting. Lately, I've been staying around 300 calories burned now that my heart rate is improving. I pause for 30 seconds between sets and typically don't rest between machines unless I'm feeling a little fatigued. I don't record it as a cardio work out via MFP, but my Fitbit retroactively adds the calories burned to MFP. I don't "eat my work out calories" -- if that's the reason you're hoping for a firm calorie count. I've read various articles that say Fitbit and other HR monitors can be generous with calories burned.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited March 2017
    I only log the minutes spent lifting, NOT the total time. An hour of weightlifting can only have 15-30 minutes of active lifting time, depending on weight/rest. That translates to like 100-150 calories.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I do Stronglifts and usually log 30 min, even though it takes longer (45 to 60). I try to be conservative where I can (logging harder swimming as moderate for example) in lieu of the "only eat back half my exercise calories".
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I posted upthread that I log 150 calories. I should mention that I run @ .5 on the treadmill as a warmup at a pretty good pace and I'll walk @ .5 after at a brisk walk. That's really what I'm logging.