Fast Food for the Month

Options
MityMax96
MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
Hello all,
As a fun little experiment I thought I would, for the month of March, get my big meals from eating out.
No cooking or food prep at home.
Always hearing people ask me how to lose weight, or get in shape, etc...would always lead me to respond with,
"Well you need to log and track calories, and food prep will go along ways to helping you achieve your goals."

Which would then be followed up by: "Well I hate eating the same things over and over" or "I don't like/have time to meal prep".

So anyways, I thought "ok, well let me just do all my eating out (except snacks) and see if I can still maintain my weight/physique or drop some weight in the process"

I just started the last week of this experiment, and for this week I was gonna try a "peak" week style with fast food. So for Sat - Tues, I am keeping my carbs pretty low. I would have liked to have been around 50 gr for these days, but I admit hitting that has been hard.

But anyways for any that are curious, my diary is open and all has been logged since March 1st.
Also, you are more than welcome to follow along on IG: MityMax96

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Wow this is great! Looking awesome @MityMax96

How did you feel and did it impact your gym performance at all ?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you tracked macros during this time... were you able to stay mostly where you wanted to be? I eat out a fair bit, and don't usually have a problem with macros eating at sit-down style restaurants, but fast food can be struggle to keep protein up with moderate total calories.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thanks.

I felt great, and gym performance was what I would have expected while on a cut....if maybe not a bit better than had I been doing my meals at home...
    In a way I found it easier to hit my calorie and macro goals by just eating fast food and going by their nutrition information.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you tracked macros during this time... were you able to stay mostly where you wanted to be? I eat out a fair bit, and don't usually have a problem with macros eating at sit-down style restaurants, but fast food can be struggle to keep protein up with moderate total calories.

Yes I did track my calorie and macro goals.
    Everything is listed in my diary so feel free to look over things for the month of March.

Waking up I usually had an idea of where I wanted to eat, so I would just plan the day accordingly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the reasoning at all, but it seems you are happy with the results of your experiment so that's cool.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Welcome
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Good work OP, bookmarking to use as a reference.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How long did you work to get that cut op?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    How long did you work to get that cut op?

I really started focusing on cutting down (aesthetics) back in Aug. 2013.
    The initial process went from Aug '13 - July '14
    Since then I have went up to 183 over the winter of '14
    Cut for summer '15
    Went up to around 180 - 183 for winter '15
    Cut for summer '16
    Winter '16 (after having issues with my previous bulks) I opted to just try and stay above 175....then began my cut in January '17 due to upcoming events.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

Are you as satisfied eating meals out as you would be prepping meals with the same macros/calories?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    How tall are you?

Are you as satisfied eating meals out as you would be prepping meals with the same macros/calories?

I come in at 6'1"

Hmm....I was satisfied that things worked how I expected them too...
    Some times the convenience was really nice, for just going in a grabbing food.
    But other times when the lines were long, or there were a lot of people, or the few times I went to places and they didn't serve items that were listed on their website, that made me miss being able to just go home and have my food ready to go.....
    So like anything there were pro's and con's......
    Again what I did was an extreme case though, as I expect most people would prolly only eat out a few times a week....I was just trying to show that no matter how often or how little you eat out....
    Your choice in foods will still allow for weight loss to happen, just by maintaining your calorie deficit....as well as the fact that the nutritional info on the websites and here on MFP are pretty accurate.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Thanks.

I felt great, and gym performance was what I would have expected while on a cut....if maybe not a bit better than had I been doing my meals at home...
    In a way I found it easier to hit my calorie and macro goals by just eating fast food and going by their nutrition information.

This is great. May I quote you, and this thread, next time someone says the opposite? Not that I'd outright recommend fast food to genpop as the large part of their "normal" diet, but just as another anecdote that fast food may not actively hurt their goals?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Thanks.

This is great. May I quote you, and this thread, next time someone says the opposite? Not that I'd outright recommend fast food to genpop as the large part of their "normal" diet, but just as another anecdote that fast food may not actively hurt their goals?

Feel free too.
    as a side note, the last week of the experiment, I tried doing a "peak" week style so for the first 4 days of the week I limited my carbs, then had 2 carb up days.
    Thus the last pic above had me in at 164 lbs
    I will say it may be a bit tougher to do a peak week on fast food, it will require some thought on it.
    My goal was to be around 50 gr of carbs for the 4 days, but the first 2 I think I was around 80
    Then the next two, came in around 60 gr.....
    But still by Friday morning, the results weren't bad.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food daily and have a nice set of abs; good work!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    HOT DAMN!!!!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    HOT DAMN!!!!

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options