Any emotional eaters who have found healthier ways to deal with stress

Options
If you use to be an emotional eater how did you overcome it? Any tips would help a lot. When I stress I start to eat a lot of junk food and now that I'm eating healthier, stress is a battle ground for me without junk food to cope (just keeping it real lol).

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with this one. I've been an emotional eater all my life. I have been chewing a lot of gum recently, to try to distract myself
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have tried to find things that change how I feel for a little while. You're going to have feelings, but I like to postpone them until I can work them out at a less intense moment. So for me, I listen to music I love and just change my mood. I take a break from my feelings via my favorite empowering artists (Mary j blige, Jay z, erykah badu, Angie stone, Beyonce ) because when you sing along you are telling yourself *out loud* their empowering messages. Also, funny movies or videos because I can't hold up negative feelings while laughing. Or just do crap that makes eating impossible: whiten or fluoride your teeth so you can't put stuff in your mouth, but on a face mask so you have to hold off for 20 mins. Google "cbt skills" (cognitive behavioral therapy) and you will get a ton of therapeutic skills that you can check out. Some might work for you. If all else fails, listen to Mary J Blige's Work That. I find her medicinal!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Organized sports to keep my brain focused on better things.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do three things:
    1) I don't have anything bad in my house, as I know I'm too lazy to go and get it.
    2) Drink green tea with spices, cinnamon or ginger does the trick. If after one or two cups I'm still craving food it means I'm hungry.
    3) When I feel like giving in I watch YouTube videos of either people's journeys to lose weight, or health oriented videos to remind me why I'm doing it.
    :)
  • kittycat1116
    kittycat1116 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I continue to struggle with emotional eating and to be honest I haven't completely learned how to curb it. But, I try to keep healthy food in the house and low cal snacks that can be my go to when I need a snack. I also try to distract myself with other tasks to divert my attention until the urge to snack is gone.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle. I try to analyze WHY I am eating, and when really stressed, the fight or flight that kicks in leads to flight---as in, a walk, a swim, or something to clear my head.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The best thing (and worst thing) that happened was when my nephew told me I was stressed and "needed" to eat a burrito. It startled and shocked me into realizing that I was using a special meal treat to combat stress at work. From that day on, I don't eat because I "need" it to alleviate stress. I go and workout when I'm stressed and that does great things for my body and doesn't add calories. I try not to allow "need" to dictate what I eat. It still happens sometimes but I'm only human.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    Needed this post x
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Solving this problem is the billion dollar question for me. Lets keep this thread going until a solution is found.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I currently struggle with this every single day. I have tried to many things but so far, I've had minimal success. I look forward to watching this thread for ideas :smile:
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I have done all of these things and then there are days when it just happens anyway and I just move one. Seems like any other addiction in that you take it one day at a time (or one minute/hour/tiny baby step at a time). Same with exercising (one step, lunge, pushup, job, weight) at a time. It's all baby steps. Thanks to everyone for sharing. This is a thread I read with great interest.