Pre-Workout Drinks are a scam

Options

Replies

• megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't use it to work out. He uses it to work. He work's at the Wal-Mart DC, has trouble sleeping, gets up at 2:30 am to drive an hour there, work 10 hours, drive an hour home. I know it is tiring but I keep begging him to stop and find healthier ways to get more sleep and fuel his body. I just worry about him. He is over weight, sneaks to get fast food since I don't buy any junk food anymore, and then drinks pre workout and energy drinks and probably not nearly enough water. :( I have gotten so unhealthy from letting my weight go up, so now I'm like super paranoid about him developing problems if he keeps this up.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't use it to work out. He uses it to work. He work's at the Wal-Mart DC, has trouble sleeping, gets up at 2:30 am to drive an hour there, work 10 hours, drive an hour home. I know it is tiring but I keep begging him to stop and find healthier ways to get more sleep and fuel his body. I just worry about him. He is over weight, sneaks to get fast food since I don't buy any junk food anymore, and then drinks pre workout and energy drinks and probably not nearly enough water. :( I have gotten so unhealthy from letting my weight go up, so now I'm like super paranoid about him developing problems if he keeps this up.

Have you talked to him about your concerns for his health? Those are certainly long days he is working I'm sure it's taxing! However there are better alternatives as you know. I sadly know sooooo many people hooked on pre-workouts of things like NOS of 5 hour energy! The industry is banking on the addictive nature of caffeine and it's pretty sad to see.
  • liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    I know there are far better options than the chemicals and obscene ammt of caffeine in them. Nothing about them promotes health yet we go to the gym to be healthy. And I disagree with the effectiveness of them. How many people do you know take 2x 3x the reccomended servings... most. Your body adapts to it just like anything else and 1 scoop turns to 2, to 3.

Off topic but is your profile picture actually you?

That's what I was wondering too! I could be wrong (but I don't think so since it's fairly easy to spot) but it looks like chemicals are involved.

lol
  • BHFF
    Options
    fitbritt__ wrote: »
    I know there are far better options than the chemicals and obscene ammt of caffeine in them. Nothing about them promotes health yet we go to the gym to be healthy. And I disagree with the effectiveness of them. How many people do you know take 2x 3x the reccomended servings... most. Your body adapts to it just like anything else and 1 scoop turns to 2, to 3.

That's what I was wondering too! I could be wrong (but I don't think so since it's fairly easy to spot) but it looks like chemicals are involved.

lol

Just put a post up about this question so y'all don't have to make accusations any longer
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm tired A LOT! And all of the apple, natural stuff doesn't work but neither does any amount of caffeine. .....Of course, it could be because I have sleep apnea :smiley: I have never purchased any pre-workout but I do a lot of espresso.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm tired A LOT! And all of the apple, natural stuff doesn't work but neither does any amount of caffeine. .....Of course, it could be because I have sleep apnea :smiley: I have never purchased any pre-workout but I do a lot of espresso.

I would wonder if you have a higher tolerance/threshold for caffeine because of the espresso?
  • BHFF
    Options

I'm sure the sleep apnea doesn't help and I truly hope you are doing ok. That can be a scary thing!!!
    Espresso certainly is delicious yes!!!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    What about people who have a high caffeine intake but don't work out?
    Why should they get to have all the fun?
  • BHFF
    Options
    What about people who have a high caffeine intake but don't work out?
    Why should they get to have all the fun?

lol never thought of that
  • BHFF
    Options
    Seant456 wrote: »
    In agreement with bhff all these drinks that are marketed to increase energy are in reality pretty much a waste... if you have a proper diet through the day taking in cals in prep for training you shouldn't be lacking in energy, most have b12 or beta alanine which give u that tingly feeling in your skin, or nitric oxid... these stimulants give the feeling of stimulation as your heat rate is increased...the most controversial ingredient in some is 1-3 dimethylamylamine or DMAA, which is essentially adderal. Which is a cardiac stimulant... if these are consumed in moderation it should be fine but ya never know how your body will react to these chemicals... i avoid them... food is always the best source of energy

Thank you for the comment on the thread I do appreciate it. I agree with everything you said I don't need to reiterate it. Awesome awesome information you provided thank you again
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Ehh, a few ingredients in most of them do have solid research backing up the claims, but said ingredients are few, and are usually underdosed AF in pwos. I'm considering giving Pulse a go, but since they reduced the caffeine in a reformulation, I'll need to pop a 200 mg caff tab along with it. Luckily, those are stupid cheap.

It's kind of amusing, because if you look at the clinical dosages of what works, about 90% of pwos do fall waaaaaay short, and that's assuming that the label is even accurate.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Ehh, a few ingredients in most of them do have solid research backing up the claims, but said ingredients are few, and are usually underdosed AF in pwos. I'm considering giving Pulse a go, but since they reduced the caffeine in a reformulation, I'll need to pop a 200 mg caff tab along with it. Luckily, those are stupid cheap.

It's kind of amusing, because if you look at the clinical dosages of what works, about 90% of pwos do fall waaaaaay short, and that's assuming that the label is even accurate.

Pulse is what I use - love it!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of caffeine having ergogenic effects.

I DO think pre-workouts are over-used and many people think they need them. I just drink coffee.

But I think saying "chemical" without saying which specific ingredient you take issue with, is rather silly. If you're going to take issue with a specific ingredient, tell us why. Just saying chemical literally says nothing. Water is a chemical.

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Are you guys talking about "steroid usage" you can say it you know lol
    [/quote]

I would say camera angle.. some veins yes.....i will check out your you tube channel at some point and reiterate
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Since looking at your other thread... I no longer need to bother
  • BHFF
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There's an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of caffeine having ergogenic effects.

I DO think pre-workouts are over-used and many people think they need them. I just drink coffee.

But I think saying "chemical" without saying which specific ingredient you take issue with, is rather silly. If you're going to take issue with a specific ingredient, tell us why. Just saying chemical literally says nothing. Water is a chemical.

I think you know exactly what I was referring to when I meant chemicals. It is loaded with garbage. Including caffeine which is garbage! Please do not get into chemistry with me as I have a minor in chemistry. I am well aware of the chemical composition of water.
  • BHFF
    Options

Are you guys talking about "steroid usage" you can say it you know lol
    [/quote]

I would say camera angle.. some veins yes.....i will check out your you tube channel at some point and reiterate[/quote]

Sounds good!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think you know exactly what I was referring to when I meant chemicals. It is loaded with garbage. Including caffeine which is garbage! Please do not get into chemistry with me as I have a minor in chemistry. I am well aware of the chemical composition of water.

Then please state which ingredient you take issue with. Saying "chemicals" is equivalent to saying "toxins" when it comes to buzzword nonsense.

If you don't like pre-workouts, cool. But if you're going to paint this picture of them being somehow detrimental then state why. Saying "garbage" doesn't really tell us anything.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is there any chances this thread develops into a legit conversation about the merits of pre-workouts and some of the specific ingredients, or should I just unstar it now?

Specifically, I'd love to hear some more details about dosing as @Gallowmere1984 mentioned:

I'd also be interested in pros and cons of caffeine.

I think someone also mentioned B vitamins and whether they actually did anything other than make your skin tingle...