Pre-Workout Drinks are a scam

Options
1235»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    I have a fat burner that I bought ages ago (cellucor HD) - I'm well aware it's not actually burning any fat but it helps me focus when I need an extra kick in the butt that coffee just isn't providing. That said - they're gimmicky for sure and I think it's important not to rely on them every time you need to exert yourself.

I agree with you as you know lol. Five years ago where were pre-workouts. They were pretty much irrelevant in the fitness industry. However, popular athletes and health individuals have push this product with supplement companies and it is the new fad

Uhhhhhh more like late early 2000's... Jack3d, No-Xplode, C4, etc. Pre-workouts have been around for a quite a while.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have a fat burner that I bought ages ago (cellucor HD) - I'm well aware it's not actually burning any fat but it helps me focus when I need an extra kick in the butt that coffee just isn't providing. That said - they're gimmicky for sure and I think it's important not to rely on them every time you need to exert yourself.

I agree with you as you know lol. Five years ago where were pre-workouts. They were pretty much irrelevant in the fitness industry. However, popular athletes and health individuals have push this product with supplement companies and it is the new fad

Uhhhhhh more like late early 2000's... Jack3d, No-Xplode, C4, etc. Pre-workouts have been around for a quite a while.

I knew a bunch of guys who were taking NO-Xplode (and other PWOs) at least 11-12 years ago. It's not like this is some new thing that suddenly just appeared on the market.
  • Bovus2017
    Bovus2017 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yo, jjpptt2, here's a link that may help you get some of the feedback/debate you're looking for...

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt32.htm
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The FDA recommends 100 to 200mg a day. Most pre-workouts have between 135 235 mg per scope. Almost all of the food we eat has caffeine in it and a lot of the drinks we drink have caffeine in them. Which means we are well above are recommended dose from the FDA. Furthermore the FDA classifies caffeine as a drug.

Almost all the food we eat has caffeine in it?

I had roast broccoli for lunch. Everyone knows that broccoli grows only in soil that has previously grown coffee bushes, so the caffeine soaks into the soil and travels back up through the broccoli stems. That's why your broccoli turns brown if you don't eat it right away - it's the coffee coming back out. It's harder for the coffee to get all the way up into fruit trees, which is why the government has to caffeinate apples and citrus fruit using chemtrails.

All our food has caffeine in it, jfc. I need a tinfoil hat right now.

This is fantastic. Nicely done =)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Try MUCH longer. Is no one here old enough to remember the original Ultimate Orange from the early 90s? It was yet another that fell to the ephedra ban in the early 2000s. All of the reformulations were garba...I just realized something.

No wonder pwos blew up in popularity in the early 2000s. Everyone was just EC dosing before that. Inb4 government/supplement industry conspiracy:
  • LolBroScience
    edited April 2017
    Options

Try MUCH longer. Is no one here old enough to remember the original Ultimate Orange from the early 90s? It was yet another that fell to the ephedra ban in the early 2000s. All of the reformulations were garba...I just realized something.

No wonder pwos blew up in popularity in the early 2000s. Everyone was just EC dosing before that. Inb4 government/supplement industry conspiracy:

I was speaking from a popularity standpoint. I do agree they've been around much longer and have been popular much longer than "the last five years".
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I was speaking from a popularity standpoint. I do agree they've been around much longer and have been popular much longer than "the last five years".

Yeah they have been around for a long time, but also agree they have seen a surge in popularity. Could you imagine back in the day someone asking what kind of preworkout to take before a half hour session on an eliptical?
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried cat urine as a pre-workout? I heard a sip of that and you're running like an olympic athlete.... The destination of the run is irrelevant. We're all gonna make it! One day you may. Kill it!

Whatever it takes!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried cat urine as a pre-workout? I heard a sip of that and you're running like an olympic athlete.... The destination of the run is irrelevant. We're all gonna make it! One day you may. Kill it!

Whatever it takes!

IIRC, Lyoto Machida supposedly recycles (his own?) urine.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah they have been around for a long time, but also agree they have seen a surge in popularity. Could you imagine back in the day someone asking what kind of preworkout to take before a half hour session on an eliptical?

Wait... you mean I'm the only one who used to do that?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I knew a bunch of guys who were taking NO-Xplode (and other PWOs) at least 11-12 years ago. It's not like this is some new thing that suddenly just appeared on the market.

I mean- no-doz has been around for years too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of you will disagree with me on this but hear me out. Only over the past couple or three years have pre-workouts become really popular. 4 to 5 years ago people really weren't drinking pre-workouts and you never really heard much about them.
    It's funny that people go to the gym to get healthy yet they put in a ton of caffeine and other garbage prior to going to the place they are trying to get healthy. I understand everyone is "Tired" but there are better ways of going about getting a spike of energy than drinking these chemically induced high caffeine drinks. Oatmeal, rice cakes, an apple just to name a few. Much healthier for you, loaded with energy that is not caffeine which is a major bonus. Just my two cents.

just want to say I dont use pre workouts. but as for certain foods giving you energy,it doesnt work that way for everyone. I have little energy no matter how well I eat,how much sleep I get,Im not deficient in any vitamins.caffeine doesnt even give me energy.

I barely ever drink anything with caffeine.I eat oatmeal most days too. I have always had low energy. even the preworkouts dont do much for me. I have used them in the past a few times.I didnt even get the tingly feeling they say they give you.if it helps give someone the energy they need to work out then to each their own.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    So this thread started out claiming "garbage", then "excess", and has now circled around to "preference". Too bad.

As someone with a pretty lousy diet and who spends a meaningful amount of money on supplements and stims, it would have been nice to see some actual arguments made regarding the pros and cons of getting "what you need" from food vs dietary supplements (using that term pretty loosely).

I'm not one of those "post a study or your claim is crap" people, but I would like to see a reasonable argument be made.

Most legitimate people (those that aren't selling supplements) with education/background in nutrition and fitness will suggest not supplementing until one's diet is in check.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    IVMay wrote: »

Whatever it takes!

IIRC, Lyoto Machida supposedly recycles (his own?) urine.

Some people do the whole urotherapy angle, yeah..... it's err not something I'd do. :)