Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What about fasting? what about Intermittent Fasting? , I need help!!!

Options
slim168mfp
slim168mfp Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2017 in Debate Club
I have heard about Intermittent Fasting, but, I want the truth about this type of fasting from a layman's standpoint. Please help!!

Replies

• slim168mfp
    Options
    Is there anything wrong with fasting, or would you suggest something else.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it and do not plan to. I'm sure I would way overeat the next day and feel sluggish. I will just stick to my 5 small meals a day.
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    SWEET!
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    slim168mfp wrote: »

What do you mean by "something else"?

A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight.

IF can be used to help control appetite for some and help them stay within a calorie deficit or calorie goal.

Thankyou for your kindness .
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I normally eat three meals per day 3-4 hours apart, and that qualifies as intermittent fasting... go figure. I just think it's easy to stick to. The truth is that it's the adherance to calorie allowance that controls your weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Too vague - fasting as a term encompasses such a range from giving up chocolate for Easter to very extended periods of eating nothing.
    So the answer to your question could be all the way from nothing wrong with it all to very harmful.

There's many different protocols, some will suit some people and make adherence easier, some will be absolute hell and counter-productive for some people.

Personally I enjoyed 5:2 for weight loss and found it far easier (for me) than everyday restriction.
    On the other hand I didn't enjoy 16:8 at maintenance and it wouldn't have conferred any benefits for me for weight loss (I can eat a lot in a short time period!).

It's an opportunity to learn something about your eating habits, perhaps learn what hunger really is (is this feeling true hunger or am I just bored/tired/stuck in a routine/plain greedy?).
    Perhaps a way to shake up your diet choices and routine.
    Overall potentially a useful method for some to manage their calorie allowance better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with fasting, but no need to do it.

I'd distinguish between occasional all day fasts, which some do for religious reasons, which aren't part of a planned eating schedule and have nothing to do with weight loss, and IF. With IF, which can be part of a planned weight loss or maintenance regime, you "fast" for a certain amount of time and then eat (sometimes freely, sometimes not) at the other times. You usually do not fast for a full day. It's not necessary (I don't do it, although I find it generally helpful to eat according to a schedule of 3 meals and not at other times), but some people find it helpful in controlling calories or appetite.

Main ways to do IF:

(1) by day, usually eat at maintenance (or without counting, if you find that works for you) 5 days a week, and eat 500 calories only (or sometimes 25% of maintenance) on the other two days. Some do this every other day, but I think the every other day program is more focused on eating freely on the non fasting day.

(2) By limiting the eating window on every day. For example, 20:4 means that you eat only during 4 consecutive hours and not during the other 20 (maybe the eating window is 4 pm to 8 pm). 16:8, which seems to be a common one, means eating during 8 hours, not the other 16 (6-7 of which will presumably involve sleep anyway). So eat between noon and 8 -- most can achieve this kind of thing just by skipping breakfast (some prefer to structure it to skip dinner if they like breakfast).

Neither of these is necessary or improves performance over some other way of achieving a calorie deficit, but if you struggle with wanting to eat or thinking about food all the time or appetite, they can help, and some say having a better sense of what being hungry really feels like helps too.
  • ABballet4227
    ABballet4227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a big fan if fast that last all day, they strike me as barbaric. But I have seen the eating window thing work really well to quickly drop weight while still being able eat pretty normally between the times.

Your body starts to burn off fat reserves if you don't eat for about twelwe hours so if you eat three meals a day that build muscle and have a twelve hour gap for fat burn than you can drop weight without starving yourself for a day.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I have done IF for years.
    The biggest benefit for me is the mental state, teaching me that hunger is not bad.
    But if you don't eat for your goals, IF on itself is not a solution.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I fast for non-weight related purposes. It makes me appreciate food more, makes me feel more satisfied on small portions, and makes me more aware of the food crisis other humans in other places are in. It also kind of resets me mentally, keeping me focused on my goal, and makes me feel powerful, reminds me that I am able to ignore hunger and resist the urge to snack. I don't really eat to compensate before or afterwards, though.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start IF when I get close to my goal weight. I think it will benefit my health and help me maintain my weight as I shift to normal eating vs my very disciplined approach now.

This BBC video is a good introduction Eat, Fast & Live Longer

There are quite a few Groups here on fasting that you can join for more detailed information. Here's one on the 5/2 Fast. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It helps some people stay on track and meet their calorie goals. That's about it.

This^

Everything else is just noise to sell books. I have a 5:2 book written in part by Dr. Mosely (he's now selling a blood type diet book).....UK's Dr Oz (?). Anyway all the "proof" in this book is anecdotal. My blood tests before.....my blood tests after kind of thing. How would his blood tests have changed just by regular dieting.....did he start exercise.....did he eat a Mediterranean diet..... his genetics. Tons of things could influenced his blood tests after. There's no way of knowing that 5:2 is responsible.

Zig-zagging your calories or eating windows aren't exactly new. Just find a method that helps you stick to your daily goals.
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I'm IF 5:2. First two weeks barely made 24 hours at 600 cals. On week three I notice that even non fast days I'm nowhere near as hungry. And I struggle to hit 1400 cals (even after normal workouts). Even one day of fasting (or near fasting) can break a plateau if you come out of it gently (for me: a little juice, then couple crackers with pb, later some grapes)

• slim168mfp
    Options
    Please tell me more about your journey with IF...thid is so cool!!
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I'm IF 5:2. First two weeks barely made 24 hours at 600 cals. On week three I notice that even non fast days I'm nowhere near as hungry. And I struggle to hit 1400 cals (even after normal workouts). Even one day of fasting (or near fasting) can break a plateau if you come out of it gently (for me: a little juice, then couple crackers with pb, later some grapes)