Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What about fasting? what about Intermittent Fasting? , I need help!!!

Options

Replies

• slim168mfp
    slim168mfp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can we talk more please? ?!!
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    I do IF. I do 18:6. For me, I noticed that if I ate breakfast, I was ravenous all day long and I would always go over my calorie limit. By eating between 2-8 pm, my hunger has significantly decreased and I can stay within my calorie goal. This is the only way I have been able to lose weight. It's not for everyone, but it has certainly helped me.

Lovely, can we talk more please?
  • rsipock
    rsipock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Slim, it is really easy. I did daily 24:1 fasts for an extended amount of time (I would only eat a giant meal once a day). I have physiologist friends at the university and they say there are hormonal benefits to IF. I cannot confirm this, I didn't have myself tested but I will say that I did notice an increase of hair-growth when I was fasting. I did not experience all those anecdotal sensations that you often hear about IF diets: stuff like I had mental clarity. It isn't rocket science. At the end of the day, it is just re-organizing your kcals. I did it because I found it convenient to not think about feeding except once a day.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast daily so I can eat late into the night... IF by default I guess
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    OP, this is a very active fasting group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

It's one meal every 23 hours - pretty much doing that same thing every day.

Participants in the group keep an individual thread journal of what it feels like, its benefits, rate of weight loss, what they eat (with pictures), etc.

There's plenty of discussion going on there and all of your questions will be answered.

Thankyou Newmeadow!!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm into week 3 of IF doing 5:2 at 800 cal on fasting days. Lost 5kg so far but main reason for doing it is because of the other health benefits, weight loss is an added bonus. My sister has type 2 diabetes and I don't want to end up the same. I find on non fasting I relax my eating habits but don't binge, in fact meal sizes are way smaller. I'm loving it (most of the time).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    slim168mfp wrote: »
    I have heard about Intermittent Fasting, but, I want the truth about this type of fasting from a layman's standpoint. Please help!!

If one is Insulin dependent working with their doctor is always a good idea. I find IF a good what to get back into nutritional ketosis if drop out for a few days or longer.

IF forces one to make ketones for the brain, heart and muscles vs just burning glucose.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums @slim168mfp .
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is this a debate or a cry for help?

If it's a debate ... I think it has it's place. I do it in my own way every day.
    If it's a cry for help ... try it and see what you think after you have tried it.

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I'm planning to start IF when I get close to my goal weight. I think it will benefit my health and help me maintain my weight as I shift to normal eating vs my very disciplined approach now.

This BBC video is a good introduction Eat, Fast & Live Longer

There are quite a few Groups here on fasting that you can join for more detailed information. Here's one on the 5/2 Fast. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

Quoting to save the vid link
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I'm planning to start IF when I get close to my goal weight. I think it will benefit my health and help me maintain my weight as I shift to normal eating vs my very disciplined approach now.

This BBC video is a good introduction Eat, Fast & Live Longer

There are quite a few Groups here on fasting that you can join for more detailed information. Here's one on the 5/2 Fast. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

Thanks for sharing that video link. A lot of that was new data to me.
  • slim168mfp
    Options
    [que="Nikion901;39294360"]Is this a debate or a cry for help?

If it's a debate ... I think it has it's place. I do it in my own way every day.
    If it's a cry for help ... try it and see what you think after you have tried it.

[/quote]

No debate, just need help from those who are seasoned fasters. Ideas, ways to do it better.

I have been at maintenance weight for the better part of 2years.
    I know it works and I am a fan.

I am at 12-18hours per day with my IF. So I get it. Just want it to be better.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

No debate, just need help from those who are seasoned fasters. Ideas, ways to do it better.

The reason the question was asked, is you posted this in the debate forum of MFP. You may get better traction posting in the general forum. But, you did get some good responses here anyway.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options

The reason the question was asked, is you posted this in the debate forum of MFP. You may get better traction posting in the general forum. But, you did get some good responses here anyway.

Better yet, search for the intermittent fasting group here, yes there is at least one, and ask there.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Goldstr324 wrote: »
    I don't do complete fasting, but once a week I do nutritional cleansing. I have normally lost between 1-3 lbs in just one day by drinking my Cleanse For Life juice, eating very small snacks, and taking a couple metabolism Accelerators during the day. Then I go back to my regular dairy routine and I can maintain the loss. Works well for me.

LOL
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What is so funny?