Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dieting and Body Positiveness compatible??

Options
Azzie521
Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
Seems like Body positive people always say to stop dieting. I want to love my body today because I know from experience I won't be loving myself still even after I lose the weight. But I still wanna lose the weight and only way I know how is actively counting calories and exercise. Do you think you can effectively embrace both worlds? Or do you have to let it all go to truly love yourself?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you think you can effectively embrace both worlds? Or do you have to let it all go to truly love yourself?

Absolutely. For me, I became more positive about myself and my body when I felt more in control after I started losing weight and paying attention and doing positive things for myself. After I started exercising and focusing on what my body could do, that made even more of a difference, and I was surprised at how I felt more confident in general and even accepting and good about my body well before I expected to, as I made progress. Not that I didn't see things that I wanted to change or recognize I had weight to lose, but that I knew I could and would and was focused on so much more than just physical appearance.

To me it's sad that people act as if body positivity means denying reality or being delusional. I continue to see things I want to change and improve (I plan to lose more weight although I am a healthy weight, and would like to improve my BF%), but it makes me personally more able to do this that I feel reasonably good about myself and what my body can do and know I will be accepting of the imperfection that will always be.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love my body at any size however I want to improve. Just because you are improving upon what you have doesn't mean you can't enjoy the journey :smile: While I see the areas for improvement, I also take the time to admire my nice looking and positive areas. Balance
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I think the body positive movement is sort of a way to accept yourself and your body regardless or size, shape, every little flaw you have. I believe that you can live in both worlds. I try my best to be body positive but I knew that I couldn't truly be happy with myself with the weight that I used to be because it made me feel so miserable and I wasn't happy with it. You can still love something but want to improve it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think the first step is accepting and loving yourself first. Then you can say 'because I love myself, I'm going to work at being healthier, lose weight, gain weight, etc'. I was super afraid to gain the weight my doctor recommended but once I started to love myself a little more I was able to make progress with my lifting program and I feel better than ever.
    I guess it's like the same philosophy a lot of people apply to dating. You need to be okay being by yourself, and then you're ready to be with someone else. Just my opinion though!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!

I did take a year off from actively trying to lose weight because I had spent so much time spinning my wheels. It had definitely become less about being my best self and more about hating myself.

I'm back now and totally okay with myself but I do have a lot of fat to lose that I want to lose, healthily. I don't think wanting to improve automatically means I hate myself. But I do have goals and part of those means shedding some weight.
  • teresaomalley7109
    teresaomalley7109 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this myself lately. I feel pulled in different directions bc I'd love to embrace intuitive eating AND stay thin. Ours is such a culture of polarity; we're pressured to pick sides & face off. I'd rather incorporate body positivity as part of my healthy lifestyle.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My two cents, when was the last time you told yourself that you loved yourself and meant it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    My two cents, when was the last time you told yourself that you loved yourself and meant it.

Do people actually say this to themselves? If so, why?

I think I'm allright, but I've never said "i love myself". I know this is different, but i do know a couple of people who will never love anyone else more than they love themselves. I avoid them...

As for positivity. I hated my body when i was overweight, to be positive and accepting when i looked like that, would have seemed like an excuse to stay that way.
    Now that I'm a normal weight again, i am happy and positive with my body.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    In my opinion, most people who "hate themselves" have much deeper rooted issues than just the weight. If you hate yourself and are unhappy/unsatisfied when you're fat, you'll probably still hate yourself and be unhappy/unsatisfied when you're skinny - you'll just find other things to hate about yourself and be unhappy/unsatisfied about. Losing weight can do a lot of positive things, but what it all comes down to is you're still the same person you were before - in a smaller, healthier and (hopefully) better-looking body, but it's still the same body you've always lived in, and the same mind you've always had. It doesn't magically transform you into someone you're not.

Bam.

I'm supposed to be happy and love myself after losing 183#. My self-loathing isn't tied to my body, but my mental state/scars. If losing weight could have changed my brain and though patterns, then maybe I would be happy, but it didn't.