Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dieting and Body Positiveness compatible??

Options
2»

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    My two cents, when was the last time you told yourself that you loved yourself and meant it.

Do people actually say this to themselves? If so, why?

I think I'm allright, but I've never said "i love myself". I know this is different, but i do know a couple of people who will never love anyone else more than they love themselves. I avoid them...

As for positivity. I hated my body when i was overweight, to be positive and accepting when i looked like that, would have seemed like an excuse to stay that way.
    Now that I'm a normal weight again, i am happy and positive with my body.

Yes. Don't you remember Stuart Smalley??? jk

Anyhow, positive self talk is very effective. After going through a divorce, I used to listen to positive affirmations in the car and repeat them, did I feel weird doing it? Sure. But I can't tell you how much better I felt and how my self esteem approved. Your brain has a way of not hearing negative, so by saying "I am not ugly" your brain hears "I am ugly" so you have to put it in the positive. I am pretty or I am beautiful. ANyhow, now that tape decks are no longer in cars, I found an app where you can record affirmations in your own voice (since again the brain wants to hear it in your voice) and I just listen to it before bed while I am relaxing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can love my body enough to want it to be its best, and that means losing weight. Losing weight doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like your body. You can love it while recognising that in order to be in its best health, it needs work.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It's a thin line between body positivity and body passivity...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    As for positivity. I hated my body when i was overweight, to be positive and accepting when i looked like that, would have seemed like an excuse to stay that way.

I disliked certain things about my body and wanted to change it, but I didn't hate my body as that would be hating myself -- I was positive about my abilities, including the ability to change/improve the things about my body I disliked (to some extent). I've always thought I'm overall imperfect (since I'm not insane) and should improve in a variety of ways, some I actively work on, some not so much, and it is kind of similar, to me. I am not as empathetic as I should be, I have a short temper sometimes, other things I don't want to share here, and want to change those things, but I don't fundamentally dislike who I am, same with the body stuff.

I'd been self-hating at other times, so being more (ugh) self-positive and accepting that I was okay, even if I didn't like what my body was, was a very different way of thinking, and one that (as others have said) made me much more able to change things. Self-hatred tends to make me feel mired and stuck and like it's not worth bothering since I'm hopeless, not eager to change. (But I do find that getting to a low point and thinking this is really bad and can't go on, including about my weight, does prompt a change -- that's just not the same thing as the state I'm thinking about.)

I did find that when I was generally self hating I'd look in the mirror (at a healthy weight) and not be able to see anything but the flaws, not in a way that (for me) motivated change (although I know it does for many, not always in a healthy way). I would feel like I had to hide from others because I was so unacceptable even though looking back that was nuts, I looked perfectly fine, attractive even (this is teens, early 20s, mostly). Anyway, when I felt like I was basically physically unacceptable (messed up as that was), I am lucky that instead of something far worse that could have been my solution, I simply dealt with it by deciding I was unattractive and would focus on other things and wouldn't care about looks or expect anything from them (which was helpful to my life in someways (NOT in others), helpful in that I focused on things that helped me, where I felt more confident and that helped me develop strength in myself and confidence), but I do think since I'd (irrationally) written off feeling okay about myself ever that allowed me to shrug my shoulders at getting fat for much longer than many I know would have. I just figured of course I was, my body sucked.

What surprised me when I finally decided to lose weight (and especially to focus on exercise and fitness) was that my confidence related to my body, feeling okay about myself -- not that I was perfect or all that or didn't need to change, but that I didn't have to die if someone saw my fat rolls when I was working in the gym or saw my imperfections when I was changing, because I no longer cared (in a good way) that my body was not perfect, not as good as I wanted, in that it was capable and doing other things. I absolutely felt this as a motivation to continue changing, that I could, not the absolute hopelessly and powerlessness and feeling of humiliation and unacceptability I'd had about my body all my life (even when not fat).

Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but feeling like my body isn't hateful is NOT for me something that prevents me wanting to improve it. I guess it's like feeling like I was reasonably smart, since I was a kid, is always something that motivated me to want to learn more things, focus more on improving that ability, not to become complacent. Feeling like my body is pretty cool and a friend, not an enemy I hate, makes me more likely to care about physical things and want to make it better.

This may well sound pathological. I know my body is not separate from me, but it's hard to explain. :-)

I feel exactly the same way. And therefore body positivity is NOT AT ALL INCOMPATIBLE with healthy eating, exercising, and wanting to have a healthy (or just healthier) body fat level.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. I had zero issues with my body image when I was obese. I knew I was fat, I knew exactly how I looked, and I was happy just the way I was. I wasn't exactly part of any body positivity movement, I didn't feel the need to paint over my shame with a positivity brush, I just didn't hate my body is all. I got a concerning blood panel and decided weight loss was in order. That decision was taken out of love for myself because I didn't want to be sick. I don't feel like I betrayed my body by losing weight. My body will still be my body at 300 or at 150. I don't get the notion how changing it makes me body-negative somehow.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am positive that I want the best possible body that I can have and will work hard and eat well to get it.

Acceptance is for things that can't be changed. Lots of people have things with their bodies they cannot change. Amputees, burn survivors, cancer survivors, people who have scars that aren't going away. Those are the kind of things that you accept.

Being fat? No way. That is controllable. It's a choice. And since I love myself, I'm going to choose not to take a huge dump all over my body by choosing to over eat and be fat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do you think you can effectively embrace both worlds? Or do you have to let it all go to truly love yourself?

Absolutely. For me, I became more positive about myself and my body when I felt more in control after I started losing weight and paying attention and doing positive things for myself. After I started exercising and focusing on what my body could do, that made even more of a difference, and I was surprised at how I felt more confident in general and even accepting and good about my body well before I expected to, as I made progress. Not that I didn't see things that I wanted to change or recognize I had weight to lose, but that I knew I could and would and was focused on so much more than just physical appearance.

To me it's sad that people act as if body positivity means denying reality or being delusional. I continue to see things I want to change and improve (I plan to lose more weight although I am a healthy weight, and would like to improve my BF%), but it makes me personally more able to do this that I feel reasonably good about myself and what my body can do and know I will be accepting of the imperfection that will always be.

All of this. I came to be body positive through feeling in control of a rather broken body (I have chronic migraines that debilitated me for years and psoriatic arthritis) when I started exercising and losing weight.

At the age of 54, I weigh less than I did when I was 13 years old. I also have ongoing goals, but accept my limitations but am not defined by them the way I used to be. I have a realistic view of what I can achieve given them and the limitations of my bad joints and my age, but that's okay. The important thing to me is that I am manifesting the appreciation I've come to have for my body by caring for it and no longer being delusional that I wasn't in control of it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Seems like Body positive people always say to stop dieting. I want to love my body today because I know from experience I won't be loving myself still even after I lose the weight. But I still wanna lose the weight and only way I know how is actively counting calories and exercise. Do you think you can effectively embrace both worlds? Or do you have to let it all go to truly love yourself?

This highlights disordered thinking as a primary root cause in the body positive movement. If you love something, don't you want to present it in the best possible fashion?

When people say stop dieting - understand that "diet" to them means elimination, suffering, and short term gains. None of the changes implemented are long term and almost certain to fail. It's a band-aid approach to a larger issue, so this thought process has reached an illogical endpoint - loving failure.

I look at weight management as I do financial management. You would call me a fool if I neglected to balance my checkbook, but we are somehow supposed to know when to stop eating? If the notion of self regulation without tracking is foolish, then count me as a fool.

You love yourself enough to implement changes for the better. Honestly I don't see how you can possibly sustain this without love of self.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    In my opinion, most people who "hate themselves" have much deeper rooted issues than just the weight. If you hate yourself and are unhappy/unsatisfied when you're fat, you'll probably still hate yourself and be unhappy/unsatisfied when you're skinny - you'll just find other things to hate about yourself and be unhappy/unsatisfied about. Losing weight can do a lot of positive things, but what it all comes down to is you're still the same person you were before - in a smaller, healthier and (hopefully) better-looking body, but it's still the same body you've always lived in, and the same mind you've always had. It doesn't magically transform you into someone you're not.

There's a difference between hating yourself, your core being, and hating your body and what you've done to it. I've never hated myself, but i did hate my body when i was overweight. Now that I'm no longer overweight that disdain i felt has completely disappeared.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like body positivity. As a person with chronic pain and various mental health issues, accepting my body for what it is, what it can do, the great things I can accomplish with it was an important step in helping my mental state. That, in turn, was important to begin losing weight.

I think people often lose sight of the steps we have to take in order to make lifestyle changes. And I think, with all the pressures of society, advertising, the relentless beat of social meeting, just loving yourself? That's a fairly radical act. Particularly if you aren't young, fit, and healthy.

Or will never be -- some of my conditions can be improved but they can't be cured. I deserve to accept and be proud of my body and my mind even with them.