More protein

Options
joo607
joo607 Posts: 16 Member
I was recently told by my doctor to eat more protein. Due to cholesterol I rarely eat red meat. I need some healthy ideas to eat clean but including more protein. Any good easy recipes out there? Thanks for you help and ideas.

Replies

• ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lentils and beans are an excellent source of protein without the fat and there are a million different ways to make them.
  • joo607
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't think of those. Love black beans! I'll be on the lookout for recipes.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Egg whites from the carton.. Pure protein, no fat, no carbs.
    Also broccoli has about 60% the amount of protein as it has carbs.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Can always add in an extra protein shake per day, too.

Halo Top's ice creams are 28g of protein in a pint. Calories range from 240-360 per the entire PINT depending on the flavor.

Quest bar (I just specifically like this brand).

Grilled chicken breast & beans.

Whatever floats your boat, yo.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Chicken, pork, turkey, shrimp ate non-red meat bangs for your buck
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I second lentils/beans/chicken and eggs/whites. That's how I mostly get mine for the day because I'm not a fan of most protein drinks and I'm not huge on lots of red meat (it's gotten pretty expensive lately, too).

Although, there's a recipe floating around on here that uses protein powder to make a low calorie, high protein cheesecake with your fruit or flavor of choice. It has some very favorable reviews and lots of variations in the thread of others who have made it.

I just bought the ingredients to put my own together this weekend. :D
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    shrimp (I usually just stir fry it with veggies), tuna
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, cartoned egg whites, chicken breast, most fish, and most fat free dairy (non fat greek yogurt, cottage cheese) are all very high in protein.

There's also protein powders if you're looking to just supplement
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The flavored pouches of tuna are good. If you are watching sodium, the bumble bee brand are better.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Consider this thread (link below). It links to a spreadsheet of many foods, listed basically in order by their protein density (most protein for fewest calories). Review the list, find things on it you like, eat more of them.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • joo607
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info. Lots of great choices. It's really helpful.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My favorite is ground turkey. I hate the fatty gristle in ground beef, so turkey is what I've used for years. But I don't get the 99% lean, because that's too dry for my taste. A 96% or 94% is good. Chicken has more protein per ounce than beef, so if you are looking for lean protein, chicken is a great choice, too.
  • joo607
    Options
    Thanks! Chicken is a favorite , in any form.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fish (really any seafood), low fat dairy are easy choices for me.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is an easy and healthy way to add more protein to your diet.
  • joo607
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been more diligent reading labels now too, especially the protein content. So much sugars in various forms too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    joo607 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I've been more diligent reading labels now too, especially the protein content. So much sugars in various forms too.

Just a note to make sure you're aware of this:

I don't know whether you're diabetic or not, but if not, most major health authorities (USDA, WHO, etc.) suggest we limit added sugars - granulated sugars, honey, concentrated fruit juice, date sugar, that sort of thing - in prepared foods. However, they consider inherent sugars (like the milk sugar inherent in nonfat, no-sugar-added yogurt, or the sugar whole fruit) not to be a huge concern, when a reasonable part of an overall healthy diet.

Because food labeling doesn't yet separate added sugars from inherent sugars, the MFP database can't make that distinction, so your MFP sugar goal can come out kind of crazy-looking even if your eating's fine. I was going waaaay over the MFP sugar goal daily when the only added sugar I ate was a minor ingredient (concentrated fruit juice) in one 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I eat a good bit of non-fat (no sugar added) dairy; that plus a couple servings of fruit were exceeding the MFP sugar goal. What did I do about it? Change my MFP diary, stop tracking sugar, start tracking fiber instead. ;)
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    fish, like salmon, cod is about the healthiest meat you can eat.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Nuts n seeds also are good I could live on sunflower seeds also like others said beans peas cottage cheese fish etc. almond flour is great to add to all kinds of foods n shakes any nut butter Is good too love powered milk too