Pre mixing Protein shakes

Options
Just a quick question. If I pre mix a protein shake the night before use. Will it still be as effective as mixing it straight before use?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    As effective as what? The calories and protein aren't going to disappear...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I know the calories/macros don't change with pre-mixing however some have settlement issues and can start to taste a bit "off" if you don't refrigerate it.

But in the grand scheme of things, it won't make any difference.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble with this. As trigden said the issue is the taste and settling issue. The other option is to bake something, home made flap jacks for example.
  • bourne1574
    bourne1574 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had no problems. I make mine in the afternoon. Have half then and the other half at 02:00 before work. Refrigerated of course. Only problem is if you have oats in it like I do then my second shake has to be eaten from a bowl with a spoon. It's more like angel delight texture by that time
  • BrooklynBooty
    BrooklynBooty Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's probably the same thing but mentally I feel like it loses it's effectiveness lol. I will only make it right before I use it.
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question but I like to blend mine with ice - wondering blending and freezing the night before would affect taste for next morning (once it thaws a bit, of course).
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's all good just make sure you keep it cold n shake it up good before u drink it I even put mine in the freezer to get it good n cold
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    effective? i mean, it's food, so i guess it's not really a question of "effectiveness". But it certainly doesn't taste as good. Atleast in my experience it kind of seperates and has a weirder texture.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I pre-mix mine at night (protein powder, coffee, choco milk), put the blender bottle in the fridge, and give it a good shake before I take it out to drink in the afternoon. I've also frozen it overnight, let it thaw slightly, then shook it til it formed a smoothie of sorts...really good for a post run treat. I can't tell any difference in the taste or texture in fridge/frozen and fresh.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I make protein smoothies with powder, green and orange veg, fruit, Greek yogurt, oats, seed mix, avocado and I make 10 on Sunday night for my husband and I to have each morning for the wool week. On Thursday and Friday we find there is more liquid at the bottom, we shake t up and we r good to go. Super big fan of meal prepping. Do the same for the kids lunches, too.