Protein powder bad

Options
So I've heard alot that protein powders are bad and full of fillers. Needs some advice

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My Protein is one of the best, and gets great reviews at labdoor.

I buy the unflavoured whey. I ordered 2.5kg tonight and received 29% off with their current deal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'll tend to find more fillers in "weight gainers"
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate or casein are the best options.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I add flavoured whey to my kids
    Porridge, they love it.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Casein works better in recipes too.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, if you avoid "gainers", it's fairly easy to find good quality protein powder. Unflavored is the way to go if you're looking to avoid artificial sweeteners and flavors.
  • jonboyd17
    jonboyd17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alright thank u all
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine is great. 30g is 28g protein 1 gram carbs 1 gram fat

Which brand do you use?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use Quest.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Avoid gainers and you'll be fine. GNC brand is 20$ for 2lbs I believe and I like it a lot!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I use Quest.

Their powders are delicious, but at about $20 per pound, I can't justify it. It's a blended protein, not gold infused cocaine.

That is exactly why i havent tried PEScience. I hear really good things but its almost $20/lb.

And i recently got MP for $8/lb from Amazon and it taste great.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Jarrow unflavored is good stuff, no crap in it, no artificial stuff, etc. Not the cheapest but some of the flavored powders have a lot of artificial junk in them.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Park51 wrote: »
    It's always best to read the labels and know what each ingredient means. I used to be a big Optimum Nutrition fan before I began reading and understanding ingredients. Now I use Orgain and although I know there's still better proteins out there, I like the taste of this better and it's reasonably priced.

What ingredients didn't you like on ON?

Overall, it's a fairly good protein powder, at least according to the test done by labdoor.com
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Park51 wrote: »
    It's always best to read the labels and know what each ingredient means. I used to be a big Optimum Nutrition fan before I began reading and understanding ingredients. Now I use Orgain and although I know there's still better proteins out there, I like the taste of this better and it's reasonably priced.

What ingredients didn't you like on ON?

Overall, it's a fairly good protein powder, at least according to the test done by labdoor.com

My guess is the sucralose. or one of the other flavor ingredients.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein 30g protein daily I supplement. I am not a big meat eater so it is an ideal way for me to boost my protein daily. I get the chocolate peanut butter tastes like a Reese's cup. I view it like a dessert. I order it online reasonable and it works for me. I use a whey isolate. Protein powers are a viable option for people that struggle to get adequate protein either due to choice (vegan/vege) or preference.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have Grass-fed Whey Concentrate. Grass fed is better for the immune system so I read. 100 dollars CAD for 11 pds. And it even has a higher leucine content than the grass-fed isolate! Just another bro tip.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »

Casein works better in recipes too.

The one I mix into my yogurt happens to be casein and it works well for that.
    3ftipeqw8z8g.jpg

The other one I use regularly (for drinking straight) is higher in calories, but nowhere near the higher calorie ones and tastes excellent.
    iqaido9vbmw2.jpg

(Depending on what you are trying to avoid - be it extra calories, certain ingredients; and how you plan to consume it, optimal choices will vary)