How do you eat a salad without traditional dressing?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'd like to have more salads with my dinner but am having trouble finding a way to eat them without the traditional creamy dressing. I've tried a little red wine vinegar and that's..... okay, but not great. I've also tried adding more flavorful veggies like onions and tomatoes but I figure there are better ways out there too. Ideas?

Replies

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The salsa idea is awesome!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar, salt and pepper. I used to make my on olive oil, vinegar, garlic granules, salt and pepper dressing.

Now I use puree of vegetable soup and some spices, sometimes curry, or mediterranean.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've read good things about Walden farm dressings. You could possibly check those out too.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    If I really can't do without a traditional creamy dressing, I measure out a serving into a small bowl and leave it on the side, then I dip my fork into the dressing before spearing my salad... You still get the flavor of the dressing, but the serving size (and calories!) are much more manageable.

This is what my best friend does.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse creamy dressings I have tried so far, but normally just make my own balsamic dressing with 1/3 fairly good olive oil and 2/3 exceptionally good aged balsamic (and a dab of Dijon to emulsify it). The key is in the quality of the balsamic--that is important--don't just use Alessi or one of the typical grocery-store shelf ones. The thicker the better, and I particularly like black currant, fig, etc. balsamics.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I buy the Bolthouse dressings. The ranch version is only 30 calories a tbsp. I make sure not to use more than a tablespoon. Rather than add the dressing to the salad some people dip their fork in the dressing and then take a forkful of salad. I've done that before and it works well. That way you're not using a ton of dressing.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Similar to Bolthouse, I like the Litehouse yogurt based dressings. They are found in the produce section of the grocery (refrigerated) and are 60 calories for 2 Tbsp. Other than that, you can try adding Greek yogurt to vinegar and seasoning for creaminess or mixing it with salsa. Also, add avocado to your salad with vinegar or any other acid and it will break down into creamy deliciousness. You can also thin traditional creamy dressings with vinegar so you use less.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try Red or White Balsamic Vinegar or Rice Vinegar. They are not as acidic or tart, they have a little sweetness and are delicious on their own.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use the fork dip then salad method. You use a LOT less that way.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I concur with the fork dip method! I also use salsa, lime juice, oil / vinegar.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I've read good things about Walden farm dressings. You could possibly check those out too.

They're ok but expensive, at least to get in the UK.
    Also, do NOT cook with the BBQ sauce. Bad things happen!

(The pancake syrup is AMAZING though. Heaven knows how they make it zero calorie, zero everything, but it's *kitten* lovely!)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I just use straight balsamic vinegar.