How do you eat a salad without traditional dressing?

Options

Replies

• Christiansan3148
    Christiansan3148 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry in advance if someone already posted similar thing, but I really do enjoy lemon juice as a dressing with a tbsp of garlic salt. It's utterly delicious and have zero calories. I don't know why I never used this combination before even when I wasn't watching my weight. I do recommend it to everyone, at least try I'd say.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I dilute three cheese ranch with balsamic vinegar, tis great.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I just ate my hot dog salad with reduced sugar ketchup and hot sauce because I'm gourmet AF
  • cidalia_mar
    cidalia_mar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lemon or lime juice tastes better than vinegar, even wine vinegar.

I prefer a touch of olive oil in there as well.
  • dawnellemom
    dawnellemom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just tonight I blended up some lite mayo, fresh cilantro, cumin, salt, chili powder, and a few tbsp of milk. Topped my salad with that (which was a chopped salad with chicken and black beans). Was really good!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have more salads with my dinner but am having trouble finding a way to eat them without the traditional creamy dressing. I've tried a little red wine vinegar and that's..... okay, but not great. I've also tried adding more flavorful veggies like onions and tomatoes but I figure there are better ways out there too. Ideas?

I don't know how people eat salad WITH dressing. Not fond of dressings, sauces, and stuff. I'd rather just eat the food without trying to hide it.

However, I will occasionally have a little bit of light Caesar dressing on a Caesar salad ... but it has been over a year since I've done that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love vinegars and find that they (with some good olive oil too) can bring out the flavor of a salad, not hide it.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like the Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt dressings - the spinach and feta flavor is my favorite! 2T is 60 calories, but I've found that I don't even need that much to coat my salads. I also second the idea of making your own ranch or creamy dressings.
  • SwimHeather7
    SwimHeather7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is an amazing cilantro avocado yogurt dressing I found at Ralph's and Pavilions. The brand is Bolthouse Farms and its sooo good!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I am too lazy to make dressing - I go for a yogurt based one because I find a lot of them that are much lower in calories. And having an actual appropriate amount helps too - I used to use a TON and now I try to stick to whatever is a serving on the container (the one I like is 50 cals for 2 tblsp).
  • dsewell40
    dsewell40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tablespoon of infused otganic olive oil. My favorites are garlic infused and Tuscan infused. Helps with getting the good fats.
  • lilzamora716
    lilzamora716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This salad dressing is zero calorie. I found it at Wal-Mart. I bought the ranch and thousand island. The thousand island is not bad. I haven't tried the ranch yet.

https://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html
  • Size8Feet
    Size8Feet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mix up the salads by adding things like sliced apple, peach, apricot, raisins, fresh mint or coriander.

Few of my favourite combinations are:
    1) salad made from sliced apple, beetroot, mint leaves and lemon juice
    2) Salad made from sliced tomato, red onion, capers and lemon juice.
    3) dressing made by adding finely sliced fresh red chilli, lime juice and a tiny drizzle of honey to a salad

All yummy :)
  • lsardoff
    lsardoff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar
    Little olive-avacado oil
    Chopped shallots
    Fresh squeezed orange juice
    Honey
    Salt and pepper

Or

Balsamic or red wine, spices and hot sauce. Can add oil or not

Olive oil
    Squeezes lemon juice
    Parmesan cheese
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Arugula tastes great to me with a squeeze of lemon, some salt and black pepper and a sprinkling of parmesan.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lemon juice on salad
  • absolutlora
    absolutlora Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We do olive oil and balsamic vinegar
  • PARusci
    PARusci Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy the regular kind of dressings I like (Kens regular) then thin them down 1/2 with water or milk, I can still use up to 2 TB, but 1/2 the calories and it coats all of the salad well.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    One suggestion is use nice crunchy vegetable pieces. Summer squash, zucchini, peppers, rhubarb, celery in chunks that you really have to chew to eat. You can also add a little dried fruit like raisins or craisins in moderate amounts they add lots of flavor.(note they're high in sugar content but the flavor per calorie ratio is very satisfying)
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'll add nuts, avocado and/or blue cheese. I'll also top my salad with a little bit of other salad (tabbouleh, bean salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.) No dressing needed, but a calorie/fat trade off. Does add protein, though. My friend trained herself to eat plain balsamic vinegar on her salads to keep the calories down.