Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    john3064 wrote: »
    Been lifting weights and doing core work for 3 months. Lost the weight that I needed to and just having a bad week thinking that nothing is really showing on my abs. My back arms and upper body are getting bigger. But no sign of abs yet.
    In March this year I decided to get serious about my eating . I've been eating very clean since then . I don't do carbs and no sugar . My carbs come from veggies and fruits. Since then my ABS are more noticeable and I have gotten very lean .

Vegetables and fruit have sugar in them and eating clean has nothing to do with do with abs...

Well, eating clean has worked for me...

that is because you replace calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods..

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What is the point of having abs if the rest of you looks like you just finished filming an extended episode of Naked and Afraid and the only thing you had to eat in 6 months was a coconut, some ants, and a few grubs... :#

Abs can certainly accentuate a good physique but without a good physique it sometimes just makes a person look like they are starving to death.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Abs can certainly accentuate a good physique but without a good physique it sometimes just makes a person look like they are starving to death.

This is what I'm having to ponder right now.
    I *thought* my goal was abs, but I'm starting to wonder if the rest of me will look too scrawny when my BF's low enough to see them. I've done stupid skinny before (racing weight as a cox'n for rowing) and it's not a good look on me.
    I need a goal, but trying to work out what the right one for me is!
  • hms0803
    hms0803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been lifting weights and doing core work for 3 months. Lost the weight that I needed to and just having a bad week thinking that nothing is really showing on my abs. My back arms and upper body are getting bigger. But no sign of abs yet.
    In March this year I decided to get serious about my eating . I've been eating very clean since then . I don't do carbs and no sugar . My carbs come from veggies and fruits. Since then my ABS are more noticeable and I have gotten very lean .

Vegetables and fruit have sugar in them and eating clean has nothing to do with do with abs...

Just out of curiosity - if eating clean has nothing to do with abs, what type of eating does? What are some things that you typically eat?
  • jseams1234
    Options
    hms0803 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity - if eating clean has nothing to do with abs, what type of eating does? What are some things that you typically eat?

If you eat at a surplus - regardless if it's 100% clean you will gain weight. If you eat at a deficit - you will lose weight - regardless if it's cake and hotdogs. It's just much easier to eat at a deficit on a "clean" diet since clean foods tend to be much less calorie dense.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I eat whatever I like and make sure I hit micros, macros , and calorie targets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Energy balance is what allowed that person to cut calories to get into a deficit. That allowed her to cut body fat. She also probably subsequently increased protein for which satiated her and improved compliance. The below thread might help.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503952/bro-do-you-even-eat-clean/p1
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Carb cycle
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Carb cycle

Which will accomplish what?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carb cycle

Which will accomplish what?

Nothing... unless compliance. But certainly not any more beneficial than any other dietary strategy. Shocking right?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Eating in a deficit has everything to do with abs. I use flexible dieting to prep for bodybuilding comps and include pizza, burgers, fries, chocolate, icecream, sweets, chocolate cereal, etc in my diet.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Visible abs are all about body fat. You just have to keep leaning out to uncover them. Just maintain a modest calorie deficit and keep lifting. You will get there.
    Totally agree. Three months ago I had abs but they didn't show no matter how much abs exercises I did. My nutrition side was not that good. Then I decided to clean up on my eating and they started to show up again. I started to get lean and abs, arms, legs ..all the muscles started to show up. So for me , is more about eating that anything else.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Carb cycle

Nope
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    gym4life64 wrote: »
    But who would want to look like that kid?

Better the kid than the hideous guy below him ugh what a bad shape to have. o_o Id die. (male or female)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Abs in guys are kind gay looking. I wo

That kid.
    And people that like abs

I'd rather get big, then worry about abs. Abs on a skinny guy aren't impressive. Well not to me at least. Because you can have abs like that and never lift a weight. But like I said, that's my opinion

But not all guys are trying to impress other guys or to become body builders - some are just trying to look physically appealing (or at least *less* unappealing) to women (or gay men of course, but you get the point).
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Visible abs are all about body fat. You just have to keep leaning out to uncover them. Just maintain a modest calorie deficit and keep lifting. You will get there.
    Totally agree. Three months ago I had abs but they didn't show no matter how much abs exercises I did. My nutrition side was not that good. Then I decided to clean up on my eating and they started to show up again. I started to get lean and abs, arms, legs ..all the muscles started to show up. So for me , is more about eating that anything else.

I wasn't able to get really lean until I un-cleaned my eating. By allowing myself to eat what I loved every day, including some sugary, fattening carbs, I was able to practice moderation (and get fairly good at it). I didn't think it was possible, but when I truly stopped labeling food as clean/unclean, good/bad I was able to stop the binge restrict cycle that kept me overweight. Of course I try to hit my macros every day because getting the nutrients my body needs is important to me too. It's possible to have it all!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

It's all about eating - eating to be in a caloric deficit. It has nothing to do with food choices.
  • jseams1234
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Better the kid than the hideous guy below him ugh what a bad shape to have. o_o Id die. (male or female)

That "bad shaped" man in the bottom picture is packing an insane amount of muscle. If he wanted to he could cut for 6 months, and I mean a horrible cut where he just stops eating and does no exercise/lifting to maintain muscle and he would look AMAZING. Alternately, that kid could lift for years, doing everything right, and he would be nowhere near the strength and size of that guy. lol

If I had to pick a starting physique to work with, it wouldn't be that kid.... maybe because I was that kid in my teens all the way up into my 30's. ;)