Staying Lean

Options

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    ktfranke wrote: »
    A few months ago, I was able to get down to 20% BF and i looked and felt awesome!! (Minus the hunger and some fatigue). But I've put some body fat back on and I'm feeling discouraged. Is it unrealistic to try and maintain that leanness? And how do I keep from feeling bummed when things change.

No, not at all. 20% BF isn't impossibly lean for a woman at all. I sit right around that/a smidge under and still get to eat ~1800 calls/day at maintenance, and at 5'1", I'm pretty small.

Having said that, it doesn't sound like it's something you in particular are comfortable attaining/maintaining, so maybe for you specifically it's unrealistic - which is fine and totally cool, you shouldn't be miserable. But, for the general public, 20% BF is not a crazy lean number to maintain.

20% is pretty hard for me to maintain
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want to hold your current weight are the calories a bit higher than when you were maintaining at 20%? I find that if you eat in maintenance and focus on gym performance, the physique starts to come with it. You can recomp a bit and enjoy food.

Yeah, that's really my best bet. While cutting, I got down to a miserable 1,200-1,300 calories a day! My maintenance level is 1,600-1,800 with the occasional 2,000-2,300 on the weekends. But I just look "softer," and "puffier." :(

FWIW -

There's a big difference energy-balance-wise in cutting on 1200-1300 consistently, and maintaining on 1600-1800 with the occasional 2000+ day. Looking at round numbers, that's some 3000 additional cals each week. That's meaningful.

I would also wonder if water retention/dehydration played a role in looking lean vs softer/puffier... i.e. is it a matter of losing/keeping leanness, or is it a matter of staying "dry"?

This is a really good point. Last week I went from a lower calorie/lower carb two week cut up to just under maintenance calories. The scale is up several lbs this week. There is no way that is fat gain, but I'm way squishier. The big differences were higher carbs and sodium. I think playing around with sodium levels is definitely worth a try.

Yep. Low carb makes me feel and look lean. Also weak af lol
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want to hold your current weight are the calories a bit higher than when you were maintaining at 20%? I find that if you eat in maintenance and focus on gym performance, the physique starts to come with it. You can recomp a bit and enjoy food.

Yeah, that's really my best bet. While cutting, I got down to a miserable 1,200-1,300 calories a day! My maintenance level is 1,600-1,800 with the occasional 2,000-2,300 on the weekends. But I just look "softer," and "puffier." :(

FWIW -

There's a big difference energy-balance-wise in cutting on 1200-1300 consistently, and maintaining on 1600-1800 with the occasional 2000+ day. Looking at round numbers, that's some 3000 additional cals each week. That's meaningful.

I would also wonder if water retention/dehydration played a role in looking lean vs softer/puffier... i.e. is it a matter of losing/keeping leanness, or is it a matter of staying "dry"?

This is a really good point. Last week I went from a lower calorie/lower carb two week cut up to just under maintenance calories. The scale is up several lbs this week. There is no way that is fat gain, but I'm way squishier. The big differences were higher carbs and sodium. I think playing around with sodium levels is definitely worth a try.

Yep. Low carb makes me feel and look lean. Also weak af lol

Yes, there is that. I'm more than willing to figure out how to lower sodium, but I'm keeping my carbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    about two years ago I got down to 12-14% body fat range...ran a couple bulk/cut cycles and was hitting macros/micros spot on. About a year ago, my girlfriend moved down to Fla along with her son, and since then it has been harder to be spot on with accuracy of logging, so I have just been intuitively eating and maintaining at about 180# and probably 15-16% body fat ....I also like to eat and enjoy the occasional, or not so occasional alcoholic beverage. I might try to get sub 15% again, we will see ..

To answer your question, it does require dedication and spot on training and micro/macro adherence to maintain a certain level of leanness...
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Since one of your goals is to build up the glutes, perhaps rather than focusing on getting back down in weight and getting leaner, maybe eating at maintenance and doing more lower focused training you can recomp, and even if you gain a little extra it won't be the end of the world (and may even be a good thing!). Then if you have a vacation, special event, etc you can focus on leaning down again. So basically you are going between focusing on growth/bodybuilding/performance, and then being lean for short periods of time. I don't know where you live, but you can also cycle between being more lean for hotter months, then a bit heavier (less lean) during the cool ones. Whatever you prefer.

That is what I would do vs. trying to be very lean all the time.

This sounds like a great plan!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    A few months ago, I was able to get down to 20% BF and i looked and felt awesome!! (Minus the hunger and some fatigue). But I've put some body fat back on and I'm feeling discouraged. Is it unrealistic to try and maintain that leanness? And how do I keep from feeling bummed when things change.

No, not at all. 20% BF isn't impossibly lean for a woman at all. I sit right around that/a smidge under and still get to eat ~1800 calls/day at maintenance, and at 5'1", I'm pretty small.

Having said that, it doesn't sound like it's something you in particular are comfortable attaining/maintaining, so maybe for you specifically it's unrealistic - which is fine and totally cool, you shouldn't be miserable. But, for the general public, 20% BF is not a crazy lean number to maintain.

20% is pretty hard for me to maintain

Ok. :smile:
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I got down to about 20% bf. It was fun to be the leanest I'd ever been...for about a month. Gym performance started to suffer. I switched my focus to training for a pl competition.

I'm maybe 23% bf now, which is still very lean by "normal" standards..and I've added 100+lbs to my total. 3% extra is totally worth it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    20% isn't really lean so it will be maintainable if you have your intake/expenditure in check.
  • chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think it may not be sustainable depending on the time you want to spend. I think for my own life enjoyment I prefer to be less strict with my food and I do not do a massive amount of exercise.
    when I was younger I was doing sport on a competitive level and hence I was quiet lean but the sport I did had weight categories and there is quiet'some'pressure to be low on weight.
    now I am at 51 kg was gaining to 58 due to pcos and fertility treatment. while I liked how I looked at 48 and how fit I felt I dont think I have the time to train so much 2 to 3 hours a day and I want to eat some of the foods that I did not eat at that time like cake or chocolate. so being that lean is not achievable for me for the effort that I am willing to put into this at this point of my life
  • cashmtusa
    cashmtusa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would stick to what you can comfortably maintain. If you want to drop your bf%, it takes a entire lifestyle change to hold it there, and it's usually not fun. Everybody's weight fluctuates(: 12% is where I'm at 80% of the year. Still gotta cut once in a while, just to remind yourself that it's achievable
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've never really been able to find that happy medium point to stay at. When I'm lean enough to see my abs and I like how I look in the mirror I feel weak and tired. When I'm heavier I feel puffy, slow, and bloated. I recently did a 15lbs bulk and I didn't enjoy the feeling of eating in a surplus or having the extra weight on. Now I'm trying to cut back down to my prebulk weight. My original goal was 175-180lbs but I've never gotten below 184-186 even at my leanest.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    I got down to about 20% bf. It was fun to be the leanest I'd ever been...for about a month. Gym performance started to suffer. I switched my focus to training for a pl competition.

I'm maybe 23% bf now, which is still very lean by "normal" standards..and I've added 100+lbs to my total. 3% extra is totally worth it.

I hear ya! Especially mornings for me... During a cut, I wake up feeling like I never slept. And I survive off of espresso! Lol! My workouts feel cumbersom and I don't get a great pump like when I'm running off of good fuel.

I heard a quote last night in this "America Ninja Warrior," inspired show... the guy said, "I'd rather be able to do really awesome and challenging things then look good." And I think I need to shift my mindset more in that direction. And like you guys have said, maybe do a cut now and then just for the sake of good life discipline.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I love that @HappyGrape ! I am at my "Best Weight" right now too. And your best weight could change through different phases of your life.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Love that @HappyGrape thanks for sharing!!!!