Staying Lean

Options
A few months ago, I was able to get down to 20% BF and i looked and felt awesome!! (Minus the hunger and some fatigue). But I've put some body fat back on and I'm feeling discouraged. Is it unrealistic to try and maintain that leanness? And how do I keep from feeling bummed when things change.

Replies

• ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want to hold your current weight are the calories a bit higher than when you were maintaining at 20%? I find that if you eat in maintenance and focus on gym performance, the physique starts to come with it. You can recomp a bit and enjoy food.

Yeah, that's really my best bet. While cutting, I got down to a miserable 1,200-1,300 calories a day! My maintenance level is 1,600-1,800 with the occasional 2,000-2,300 on the weekends. But I just look "softer," and "puffier." :(
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want to hold your current weight are the calories a bit higher than when you were maintaining at 20%? I find that if you eat in maintenance and focus on gym performance, the physique starts to come with it. You can recomp a bit and enjoy food.

Yeah, that's really my best bet. While cutting, I got down to a miserable 1,200-1,300 calories a day! My maintenance level is 1,600-1,800 with the occasional 2,000-2,300 on the weekends. But I just look "softer," and "puffier." :(

It messes with your mind. Those are my maintenance calories too.

What's your training like? Do you have fitness goals?
  • ktfranke
    Options

As soon as spring hits and the snow is melted, my girls friends and I start training for a trail 50K every summer! So unfortunately I'm not lifting as much as I do in the winter months. But I try to get in 3-4 days of strength training & 3 days of running/HIIT cardio!

I have a few other random goals, like being able to perform a walking handstand, improving my unmodified push ups, and pull-ups...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

As soon as spring hits and the snow is melted, my girls friends and I start training for a trail 50K every summer! So unfortunately I'm not lifting as much as I do in the winter months. But I try to get in 3-4 days of strength training & 3 days of running/HIIT cardio!

I have a few other random goals, like being able to perform a walking handstand, improving my unmodified push ups, and pull-ups...

Are you on a pull up program? That's fun.

Seems like you till get a decent amount of strength training in with the trail training as well. What are your strength goals though? Do you train bodybuilding or strength? Both? You could have some fun there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise helps. I won't say I never over eat and there aren't weeks that I gain weight, but when I exercise I have to eat so much more to gain weight that it takes effort.
  • ktfranke
    Options

Are you on a pull up program? That's fun.

Seems like you till get a decent amount of strength training in with the trail training as well. What are your strength goals though? Do you train bodybuilding or strength? Both? You could have some fun there. [/quote]

I don't have a specific program for the pull-ups. I bought a resistance band and usually work on reverse pull-ups during my back workouts once a week. I've also been trying to strengthen my lats...

Right now, most of my lifting goals are physique based... body building really appeals to me! But I'm not opposed to strength based goals! I'm gunna try to come up with a plan before the fall so that I'm prepared!

I've been trying to put more of an emphasis on building up my glutes!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

FWIW -

There's a big difference energy-balance-wise in cutting on 1200-1300 consistently, and maintaining on 1600-1800 with the occasional 2000+ day. Looking at round numbers, that's some 3000 additional cals each week. That's meaningful.

I would also wonder if water retention/dehydration played a role in looking lean vs softer/puffier... i.e. is it a matter of losing/keeping leanness, or is it a matter of staying "dry"?

This is a really good point. Last week I went from a lower calorie/lower carb two week cut up to just under maintenance calories. The scale is up several lbs this week. There is no way that is fat gain, but I'm way squishier. The big differences were higher carbs and sodium. I think playing around with sodium levels is definitely worth a try.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The only time I stayed lean was around 7 years ago( BK aka before kid). I was at 19-20% for around a year. It was fun but horrible at the same time. It was a TON of work and dedication. To me now, it's not worth it or even feasible.
    My husband still reminds me of this one time when he offered me a jelly bean and I said no because I had met my daily calories.
    Sorry, I got no advise. I don't think too many people stay lean for too long.

That's awesome that you both can look back at that and laugh. It's funny and kind of sad at the same time. I was kind of the same way when trying to get super lean. A co-worker offered my a hershey's kiss and I acted like it was the devil incarnate.