skinny girl seeks some fat over her bones

Options
hi everyone! so, i'm 5'6 and currently weigh 101lbs, i haven't weighed this little since i was 14 (i'm 33!). i've always been skinny but lost a lot of weight over the last few years when i was in a bad relationship, with very low self esteem and low appetite. now when i look at myself in the mirror i can see all my bones, i feel horrible. so i'm desperately trying to gain at least 10lbs, to gain 20 llbs would be a dream.
i started tracking calories 8 days ago for the first time ever with this amazing app and miraculously i've already gained 3lbs in just these 8 days...! i realize i had parasites (which i killed just before starting my new fattening diet ;), and i really wasn't eating as much as i thought i was. now i'm making sure to eat over 2000 calories a day and am very happy with the results so far! it's a really empowering feeling!
so, my question now is, how do i gain weight all around and not just on my belly? (which tends to accumulate fat even though i'm super skinny). i especially need some fat over my ribs and chest (sooo bony!) :( any tips? thanks so much, i love this app!!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Is your belly getting fatter, or just protruding more because it has more food in it? Unfortunately you can't choose where the fat goes... Mine goes straight to my hips and bum!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    agreed with the above said. start lifting or HIIT for beginners n eat more (500 or 750 over maintenance + whatever u burned from exercising). it will put muscle definition n meat on ur body in a nice way. trust me, u do not want to put on 20 lbs of FAT. it wont help ur health that much
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to incorporate lifting and a good amount of protein into your diet (1 g/lean lb). This will let you add muscle along with the fat that you gain. You really don't have any control over where the fat is added but you have some control over where you put muscle.
  • mayamission
    mayamission Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You can't spot choose where fat gains happen, but if you lift weights you can add some muscle. Adding muscle as well as fat will give you a toned look rather than just adding some softness over your bones.

thanks for replying. i have to be realistic and say going to the gym is not going to happen, but i'm willing to workout at home or outdoors. do you think push ups would help with adding muscle on my chest? what are good alternatives to weight lifting?
  • mayamission
    Options
    Is your belly getting fatter, or just protruding more because it has more food in it? Unfortunately you can't choose where the fat goes... Mine goes straight to my hips and bum!

there's definitely some extra fat in my belly, that's where it goes to first. nothing too extreme, but i'm scared if i keep eating this much eventually it will not be good :#
    i guess i do need to start thinking about adding some muscle
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You can't spot choose where fat gains happen, but if you lift weights you can add some muscle. Adding muscle as well as fat will give you a toned look rather than just adding some softness over your bones.

thanks for replying. i have to be realistic and say going to the gym is not going to happen, but i'm willing to workout at home or outdoors. do you think push ups would help with adding muscle on my chest? what are good alternatives to weight lifting?

You can start with bodyweight exercises, and look at investing in some weights to use at home
  • mayamission
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    agreed with the above said. start lifting or HIIT for beginners n eat more (500 or 750 over maintenance + whatever u burned from exercising). it will put muscle definition n meat on ur body in a nice way. trust me, u do not want to put on 20 lbs of FAT. it wont help ur health that much

thank u so much for your reply. what is hiit? do u suggest any outdoors activities or workout i can do at home? i'm so not going to the gym :D
  • TavistockToad
    edited May 2017
    Options

Sorry but that is bad advice. Hiit won't help build muscle and a surplus of 750 cals is excessive.
  • mayamission
    Options
    Hey, all the answers here are great so far. I'm 5'7, 26 years old, it has taken me two years to get from 110 to 138, putting on muscle and fat after a mix of health problems including an ED. Mostly it is patience and persistence, there were a lot of ups and downs in the two years both weight wise and emotionally. Mainly the progress is based on exercise rather than eating if that makes sense. I have spent a bunch of time working out what sort of exercise is good for me, I find walking, swimming, yoga and dance are my sweet spot. I cannot run or do weights or set foot in a gym, it is just demoralising. Just take it slow and incorporate exercise, if you can get some support in the form of a good nutritionist or naturopath to make sure your body is getting all the nutrition you need and that you aren't deficient in anything. I was very very low on a few things including B's and magnesium, which are critical for mood as well as other bodily functions. As soon as I sorted these out by taking supplements I was better able to exercise and more interested in cooking!

hi, thanks so much for sharing your story, it's really very inspiring! i also can't stand the thought of going to the gym, but am totally willing to exercise outdoors. i guess there's no escape from that!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Sorry but that is bad advice. Hiit won't help build muscle and a surplus of 750 cals is excessive.

This...

Also the link has beginner body weight and dumbbell routines you can look into.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mayamission
    Options
    thanks so much to everyone who replied! i guess next step is to figure out some kind of exercise i can do to build muscle without having to go to the gym!? i'm sure they exist?! like Sarah, i'm into hiking and yoga and swimming and dance too. will those suffice, ir is it really better to actually lift weights? any suggestions?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    thanks so much to everyone who replied! i guess next step is to figure out some kind of exercise i can do to build muscle without having to go to the gym!? i'm sure they exist?! like Sarah, i'm into hiking and yoga and swimming and dance too. will those suffice, ir is it really better to actually lift weights? any suggestions?

Google body by you
  • 0stephj0
    0stephj0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also the app SWORKIT has some great at home/outdoors routines. It allows you to select how much time you have for a body weight workouts. Also has cardio, yoga, and stretch programs.

I'm definitely not a fan of gyms either, but I have enjoyed crossfit clubs. I feel like crossfit gyms are a mix between traditional gyms and home workout.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

She doesn't need HIIT.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    By having a small surplus (250 to 350) and a progressice overload resistance program (found in the link above), you will mimize fat gains.At worse you can get to a higher weight range and then recomp.
  • bellaambru
    bellaambru Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How did you know you had parasites? Do you feel better after the cleanse? What did you use to cleanse? I'm dealing with candida and possible parasite issues
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    bellaambru wrote: »
    How did you know you had parasites? Do you feel better after the cleanse? What did you use to cleanse? I'm dealing with candida and possible parasite issues

If you have parasites or candida seek help from a doctor. Following the advice of random strangers online could lead to serious health issues.
  • mayamission
    Options
    bellaambru wrote: »

i work in the Amazon jungle and somehow i always end up with parasites from the river water.
    i usually take care of them naturally but this time knew i had a pretty bad case cause i was super lethargic for months. i just took some hardcore pills recommended by a doctor. there are great natural parasite cleanses out there but i just couldnt wait the time i takes and put my body through all that stress of parasite die off at the time. the pills did the job even though i felt really weird while taking them (3 days). i felt my energy come back and just a whole new disposition. then just a whole bunch of probiotics to rebuild the good flora