Good recipe websites?

Options
ajackofsometrades
ajackofsometrades Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
It seems like all recipe websites are full of fluff and/or not catered to remotely healthy eating.

I also don't want to eat classic dishes necessarily. Nothing that you'd find on a menu at a restaurant. There are so many things wrong with classic diets in Western nations and the imported diets from Eastern nations. For instance, I had canteloupe and cottage cheese for dinner last night. That's not a fancy dish or anything, but it was delicious and nutritious.

Where can I find more recommendations like that? I need to broaden my appreciation of food to help me not want to buy takeout or frozen meals.

I'm also brand new to this website, so I'm not sure how this works, but someone said you can follow people on here? Like, you can follow their diet? If so, if anyone has a good record of what they eat on here and wants to share, let me know so I can compare notes.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnytaste.com
    Www.slenderkitchen.com
    Www.cookinglight.com
    Www.eatingwell.com
    Www.budgetbytes.com
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been liking the app Mealime pick what kind of food restrictions you want, how many protions and how many meals, and it give you the shopping list
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't look for recipes then. Break down and build up. Decide for yourself what constitutes a healthy meal, pick foods accordingly and compose meals that fit those criteria. For instance, most of my dinners are a protein, a starch and a veg. This has endless possibilites. Not all possibilities are as tasty, but they will all provide a nutritionally decent meal, and varying them sufficiently will provide a great range of nutrition. Other meals are also "classic", but maybe there's a big difference between American and European "classic" diets and meals.

I'm not using my food diary here anymore, but I posted what I ate for a month last year: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10386508/my-meals-w-pics#latest
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnytaste.com
    Www.slenderkitchen.com
    Www.cookinglight.com
    Www.eatingwell.com
    Www.budgetbytes.com

Add to this www.insiralized.com - spiral veggies ftw!

• ajackofsometrades
    ajackofsometrades Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't look for recipes then. Break down and build up. Decide for yourself what constitutes a healthy meal, pick foods accordingly and compose meals that fit those criteria. For instance, most of my dinners are a protein, a starch and a veg. This has endless possibilites. Not all possibilities are as tasty, but they will all provide a nutritionally decent meal, and varying them sufficiently will provide a great range of nutrition. Other meals are also "classic", but maybe there's a big difference between American and European "classic" diets and meals.

I'm not using my food diary here anymore, but I posted what I ate for a month last year: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10386508/my-meals-w-pics#latest

I think this is the right advice. It's an ongoing project, but I got it started yesterday, and this helps too.

Interesting food! I see you're from Norway. We don't have all of the same stuff in California, although there is supposedly something called the 'California diet' thanks to our wealth of local food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't look for recipes then. Break down and build up. Decide for yourself what constitutes a healthy meal, pick foods accordingly and compose meals that fit those criteria.

This. I use recipe books (wide range of cultures, lots of seasonal and vegetable themed ones, I like photos) for ideas, and read some food blogs and recipe sites. If I have an ingredient in mind and want ideas I might google for them. I tend to eat as seasonally as possible and get inspired by what's available. Not everything at a site I like (101cookbooks is one) is going to fit with how I like to eat and cook, but it will probably spark ideas.

I also get ideas from restaurants, and "nothing you'd find on a menu at a restaurant" strikes me as extremely limiting given HOW MANY restaurants there are and how diverse they are, but more importantly it also doesn't really tell me what you want.

Are you looking for ideas of what tastes go together or what?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Other meals are also "classic", but maybe there's a big difference between American and European "classic" diets and meals.

I suspect American "classics" are generally based on European classics in some way in a lot of cases, but I honestly don't know what I'd consider classic in the US except for precisely what you said, basing meals around protein, starch, and veg, unless specific dishes are referred to (and then they aren't all that classic, but often go back to the '50s or some such). There's some regional differences too.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Pinterest will give you tons of options from all kinds of sites and blogs.